Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Helicopters

Electric Helicopters Dedicated to larger than Micro/Mini Electric Helicopters of any Brand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #581 (permalink)
Registered Users

I too have mine mostly assembled. I have the HK401B gyro and wondering how to get that set up. I have a digital tail servo and set the switch to digital and delay and limit pots to zero as in the setup guide. After it starts up and initializes, it quiet. If you touch anything it causes the servo to jitter...almost continuously. It also slams the tail blades to the max. I thought the limit pot should control that, doesn't help changing either pot. Any help would be appreciated.
jburg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #582 (permalink)
Registered Users

jburg, by chance did you see this thread on the 401?, It has some pertnent information. Luckly I saw last week and it really helped me get through that part of my build.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=23209

Ice
icecycler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #583 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll check that out, I keep forgetting about Finless. Another question, anyone have issues with their canopy fitting right? I seem to have to stretch it just a little to far to fit over the posts.....it cracks and groans. Shorten the posts?
Old 03-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #584 (permalink)
Registered Users

I noticed that I have to put one side on first then the other, and i'm using custom made canopy posts that I made. This is if your using a 450v2 frame with a standard canopy.
Ice
Old 03-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #585 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anybody heard from HH, Havent seen any posts in awhile. Must be building all those gifts he got from Santa.

Ice
Old 03-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #586 (permalink)
Registered Users

Studied Bob's 401 videos and set the rudder and gyro up. Everything seems to work except I'm still driving over limit. Have the gyro limit pot at zero. Only thing I can see that will work is to bring the ball in closer to the servo center for less throw, but that will bend the tail wire, not center down the tail. Any other thoughts out there?
Old 03-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #587 (permalink)
Registered Users

jburg, depending on what type of rudder servo mount you are using, you should be able to bring the ball as close to center of the servo as possible. Mine is the closest to the center, using an EMax 9257 servo /w arm. I've turned the servo holder down where I can get the best throw possible without being off the centerline of the boom. it's slightly off but have no issues with the throw. The limit on the 401 is for throw on your servo. Adjust that so she doesn't bind the slide mech on the tail holder. You want it to barely touch each side. From there you should be good to go.

Ice
Old 03-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #588 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jburg - depending on your radio you can adjust the limit of throw for your tail servo. Mine did the same thing (GY48V on mine) went to far when given input from TX and jittered and bound, I was able to adjust it out in the radio.

Check your options and see if you can set limits for the tail server, it should fix the issue.

Good luck
450Rookie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #589 (permalink)
Registered Users

I moved the ball location in towards the center and that solved the over travel problem. BUT, I guess I'm still a flying newbee. I put her in the air with training wheels on, not as stable as I can handle and ended up putting a 20 degree bend in the tail boom from a hurried landing. It was not behaving well and going all over, not straight up into a hover. I pretty comfortable flying a 120sr and MSR, can hover my MCPX, but this is just a little bigger and more intimidating. I have been practicing with a 450 CP on the sim. I can see this will be parts hungry.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #590 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Alignment issues with the main rotor

Any one had any issues with the main rotor out of align due to mis drilling the enlargement hole? Any ideas on a solution?

Also even with larger tail blades can not stop the heli from spinning out of control.

Enjoyed the build and look forward to solving these problems.
dmartarch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #591 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmartarch View Post
Any one had any issues with the main rotor out of align due to mis drilling the enlargement hole? Any ideas on a solution?

Also even with larger tail blades can not stop the heli from spinning out of control.

Enjoyed the build and look forward to solving these problems.
dmartarch
There really isn't a solution for mis-drilling the rotor head. It happened to me and the only thing I did was get a new head and drilled it over. I wasn't satisfied with that so I made an aluminum head, similar to what ATC did on his.

Ice
Old 03-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #592 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you have any special setups on your radios? Just wondering why I'm having difficulty with flying this beast (well could be because I built it)!! I've started pretty basic with the radio, dropped the rates a little on the Elev and Aler, but thats about all. Swash looks level with power on and the controls work smooth. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #593 (permalink)
Registered Users

jburg
all I did was back down the throw limits on the elevator and aileron servos. This way if I pushed the sticks too far the bird would not travel that far in those directions. It makes it a bit more easier to fly.

Ice
Old 03-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #594 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not sure if this is the proper place for this question, but the HK401B gyro matched to a Corona DS-919MG servo seems to quiver a lot. Even when sitting perfectly still. Is this normal? Servo bad or maybe the gyro.
Another question.....the FC head flybar - item 59 on the manual has three holes. If you use different holes for you zlinks and swash arms, what would that do for you?
Old 03-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #595 (permalink)
Registered Users

jburg, I had the same issue with the Corona, ended up replacing it with an Emax ES9257, much better results. As far as the zlinks going into the other holes,honestly it doens't do anything for it, in fact I think it makes it sloppier.

Ice
Old 03-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #596 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry for all the questions, I have the tail all mechanically centered but I have no tail or rudder control to the left. Can swing the nose to the right no problem, but not to the left. Looks like the gyro has it against the stops just holding it in position. Any thoughts on how to correct that?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #597 (permalink)
Registered Users

jburg, the last time I experienced that type of gyro behavior, I had the same thing happen. In normal, the tail arm would center, in head holdiong, it would plant the arm all the way to the tail head and keep it there. What I did was switch the toggle three to four times and that should recenter the tail in head holding. otherwise go back into the tx and recalibrate your settings again. 401 can be a pain in the a$$

Ice
Old 04-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #598 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Not enough experience?

Not much activity here anymore. I think I have my 450fp tuned pretty well now, but I just can't seem to fly it. Every time I do, I break something. I can't seem to hold it in a hover, that is the first thing I want to do till I get a feel for it. Maybe I'm just jumping the gun. I started last august and flew all winter in the garage and sim. I can fly my MSR and 120sr comfortably without crashing them. Started learning CCPM on a MCPX...just working on hovering it. But when I try the 450, it seems to wonder all over and I have trouble "holding" it. I'm I too much of a newbee to be flying this? I've been wanting something bigger, easier to see. It not as stable as some of you make it sound.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #599 (permalink)
Registered Users

jburg
Hang in there, it will come to you, it does take practice. try backing down your elevator and aileron servo throw, this way if you try to overcompensate, the servo will only go so far and you can get you bearings back again. Yeah by the looks of things here, this thread is looking more and more like it's about done.

Ice
Old 04-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #600 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Ice.
I did back down on the cyclic controls. I'm using a 90 degree swash. Since there is only two arms holding it, its a little sloppy. I bet the guys using the 120 deg swashes, have a little tighter control. I was trying to stay away from the mixing of the servo's to keep it simple.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in