naza gps mode question - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > DJI Heli Autopilot System(Naza-H/WooKong-H/Ace One)

DJI Heli Autopilot System(Naza-H/WooKong-H/Ace One) DJI Heli Autopilot System(Naza-H/WooKong-H/Ace One) Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default naza gps mode question

okay guys so I got my naza gps upgrade in the mail today and got it all installed and calibrated. but now I have a question, when i'm flying in the gps mode will the quad rth if it loses signal or do I have to set something up in my radio other than the gps mode to get it to rth if it loses signal?
iceman320 is offline        Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

In order to get RTH on signal loss, you need 2 thing,

1, set the naza for RTH on failsafe instead of just LAND (nazza app, autopilot page section 2),

2- you need to set your rx to place the U channel into failsafe flight mode on signal loss, to verify this, open naza app and look at the tc cali page, see if the U channel move to a failsafe position when you power off the tx... how to set the rx failsafe position is different from some brand to others, also some rx like the futaba r617fs have failsafe position on only throttle channel, so some special setup are required, I have a stiky that explain how to setup the failsafe for r617fs

What rx do you have?
locks is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: naza gps mode question

You have to setup failsafe with your receiver. What receiver are you using?

*edit* ^ beat me too it lol.
Arcolog2 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is a setting you have to activate in Naza software.

Just check the return to home and land box. No switch needed.

oops ad set up FS... lol
Old 02-21-2013, 11:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

i'm using the th9x radio with the frsky djt module and v8fr II receiver.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

okay guys I watched a video on you tube and I think that I got it figured out now when i turn off my tx the naza goes into failsafe in the assistant software. or i can flick my 3 position switch all the way down and have it go into failsafe also. so will that work if I go out to test it and turn my tx off will my naza come back to me? will i have to be in gps mode for it to come back?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

You also need to make sure you have gone through and calibrated the GPS as well.
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

calibrated the gps last night with turning around in a circle twice.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

For me, RTH and fail safe are really important. Knowing that they are set up correctly eases my worrying about flying too far away or possibly losing orientation when I'm too far away. After making sure your fail safe works correctly in the naza assistant software, test it in the safest conditions you can. Possibly low altitude over soft ground and away from anything unsafe like people. Proper fail safe rises to a safe altitude (60 feet I think, I might be inaccurate), goes to the location it started at, waits, then descends and lands. Read and watch some videos on what you should expect the naza to do, then test it in a safe environment. Then you will be set to fly!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman320 View Post
okay guys I watched a video on you tube and I think that I got it figured out now when i turn off my tx the naza goes into failsafe in the assistant software. or i can flick my 3 position switch all the way down and have it go into failsafe also. so will that work if I go out to test it and turn my tx off will my naza come back to me? will i have to be in gps mode for it to come back?
That all depends if you have your fail safes are programmed correctly. You should have two failsafes programmed one being a dedicated switch on your TX and two being your RX programmed to fail safe if it looses signal.
When testing you fail safe switch while hooked up to the software make sure that you go into fail safe mode regardless if your in Manual, Atti, or GPS mode.
When testing your fail safe when turning off your TX make sure you are going into failsafe mode but most importantly (this is the biggest mistake people make) you see your throttle go to 10%+ in the software. If your throttle is not programmed to be above 10% your multi rotor is going to drop like a rock.
After you have your fail safes set up correctly and varified they are working correctly go test it in a wide open area away from people and obstructions.
MAKE SURE you know what steps to perform to take your multirotor out of both fail safe modes before you test it.
TBS Disco w Core Naza GPS FPV 1.2 vtx MT Tiger motors
02deuce is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

okay guys thanks for the help. I tested it last night in the assistant software and it goes into failsafe when i turn off my transmitter and the throttle stays at 50% when it goes in to failsafe mode. then it will also go into failsafe mode when i flick my 3 position switch all the way down. so I think that I have it set up right. i will just have to find a place that I can test it out at now.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds right, I just tested both my failsafes over the past two days. Its very cool flipping a switch and it flys home. Just make sure you have a full gps lock before you throttle up, so naza learns "home". But whats really nerve racking is when you flip your transmitter off for the first time. Or if your brave enough, like i attempted today is fly to the actual loss of signal failsafe. I made a buddy go way out it a field a couple hundred yards and i flew out towards him so atleast id have a set of eyes out further since im flying LOS. I flew straigh out for awhile holding forward elevator, then after a bit i flipped the real rth switch and it came back with a flashing rx, which means it lost rx signal at some point. But without me knowing it kept "returning home" until i acheived signal again, which i was still holding forward elevator so it would again fly and trip failsafe. So at max distance it was sort of bouncing back and forth so to speak while it lost and gained signal. I surely DO NOT recomend this but i wanted a real test.

Even if you checked and got it working today/tonight double check that it does it all one last time in every function possible on the computer before you walk out that door!

If possible test...

RTH via switch
RTH via losing tx power
RTH via distance/signal loss

Good Luck and Hold On!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's cool Daneger! I probably don't have the stones to try that. I had enough ring pucker today going into failsafe with the switch!
That was so cool though. It was this morning and I just sipped my coffee and watched it come home, land, and power down.
fiveflat is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveflat View Post
That's cool Daneger! I probably don't have the stones to try that. I had enough ring pucker today going into failsafe with the switch!
That was so cool though. It was this morning and I just sipped my coffee and watched it come home, land, and power down.
Trust me the heart was pounding on the final test. Watching it fly fly fly away in the distance...

Next that i tried was interupting the failsafe to regain control. That was scarier i think lol...interupting an autopilot. It took me flipping the failsafe switch off, which would then hover the quad at that location with no controls allowed, until i cycled to another flight mode then i had full control again in both my attitude and gps modes.

Have fun
Old 02-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What do you mean by "which would then hover the quad at that location with no controls allowed", Daneger?

Have you created a custom-mode on your Tx that flips Naza into gps mode while locking throttle and cyclic commands in the center, effectively disabling pilot's input?
Trex 700N Pro fbl, 600N Pro x 2, 450SE v1, 250 v2 fbl, Compass 6HV fbl, Blade 450x, 400, 300x, 130x, mCPx, 120SR, mQx, mSR, Rotor Concepts HPQ1, Walkera CB180Q, CB100, Novus FP, CP, Esky Hunter, Big Lama.
jperkosk is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperkosk View Post
What do you mean by "which would then hover the quad at that location with no controls allowed", Daneger?

Have you created a custom-mode on your Tx that flips Naza into gps mode while locking throttle and cyclic commands in the center, effectively disabling pilot's input?
Nope when i flip ON my rth failsafe its does its thing and returns home. While it hovers above home location BEFORE landing i switch my failsafe off. Itll hover at that spot not alowing control input until i change flight modes.

I only have dx6i. My gear switch is used for Attitude and GPS modes only. Then my gyro switch is mixed to force failsafe. So i must be in gps mode for my "switched" failsafe to work, not attitude mode.

Maybe my setup is making this behavior...???

Ill charge the gopro and get a video if the weather cooperates today.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Got you. Haven't realized Naza did that. Does it "freeze" upon coming out of fail-safe mode regardless of the flight mode or is it just in manual mode that control is taken away from you and then returned when the flight mode is changed?
Trex 700N Pro fbl, 600N Pro x 2, 450SE v1, 250 v2 fbl, Compass 6HV fbl, Blade 450x, 400, 300x, 130x, mCPx, 120SR, mQx, mSR, Rotor Concepts HPQ1, Walkera CB180Q, CB100, Novus FP, CP, Esky Hunter, Big Lama.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperkosk View Post
Got you. Haven't realized Naza did that. Does it "freeze" upon coming out of fail-safe mode regardless of the flight mode or is it just in manual mode that control is taken away from you and then returned when the flight mode is changed?
I only have attitude and gps mode setup on my dx6i. No manual mode selection. So maybe thats why my system is doing whats its doing...im honestly not sure why myself, its just what happens when i do it lol

So again, flying in gps mode, i force failsafe via switch. Flys home, i disengage failsafe, which means in still in gps mode. I then must cycle to attitude mode to regain controls...this is all while still in the air BEFORE landing.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Interesting, thanks for the explanation, will try it on my F550
Old 02-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a DX6i as well. I was able to mix enough switches to get all 4 positions, Man, atti, GPS atti, and Failsafe. Like you I have to flip the GPS mode switch before I can get into failsafe.

So, I'll have to test it today but it sounds like the cool thing with my configuration is if I flip out of GPS mode with my idle up switch while in failsafe, I'll go directly to ATTI mode

Honestly I'm already tired of this switch dance I have to go through and a DX8 is ideal. I need at least 7 channels anyway since I'm going to be putting Naza-H on my Heli too...
fiveflat is offline        Reply With Quote