Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters

Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2017, 05:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 800+ on 12s- Does this heli need 14s?

Hey all- looking to build a lower HS large heli, and this has peaked my interest. Wondering if a 12s setup would be sufficient, and not too taxing on batteries?

Appreciate the help!

Shane
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2017, 06:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

12S absolutely fine - especially on an 800. Only real case for14-16S is speedracing where the current pull can peak > 200A
Old 03-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, 12s works. I run my own 800 on 14s though. Longer flight times with my style of flying. Also lower amp draws compared to the same system on 12s doing the same identical things. Less stress on the entire electrical system. Including batteries.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Even having some an advantages with 14s setups for lower current (amps) the 12s is perfectly fine if going for a low rpm setup.

Actually - you should even be able to run a 6 or 7s setup if you seriously go for low rpm on an 800 machine. Its just a matter of what low rpm means.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nice- Thanks gang.

Saw a video on youtube of a pilot running 1200-1300-1500 and it looked like a ton of fun. As i will be running my SAB triple 700 at higher HS's- want a large bladed heli to have fun with at low RPM's.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom Buggy View Post
Nice- Thanks gang.

Saw a video on youtube of a pilot running 1200-1300-1500 and it looked like a ton of fun. As i will be running my SAB triple 700 at higher HS's- want a large bladed heli to have fun with at low RPM's.
Flew my 800 that way for a while, incredible lhs machine. Super smooth. If you want a little more torque out of the drive train, try using a 16t out of the TDR. We just dropped in either a 6s or 7s pack in place. Collective management is critical though. Darn pro's, make it look so easy. It isn't......
Old 03-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm currently using a 13 tooth TDR pinion in my Triabolo 700 so I could run a smaller motor at higher KV and still have my target headspeed of around 1300 in the ESC 'sweet spot' (12s).

I have a Pyro 700 / 530KV and it's amazingly capable due to the long gearing. I don't know what the amp draw is but I know it's very low. I'm pretty confident this drivetrain would easily run a two blade 800 setup at similar headspeeds.

I've seen a video somewhere of a TDR stretched to 800 on 6s (or maybe 7s), probably around 1000rpm headspeed. If you're gearing for low ish headspeeds on 12s you'll have bags of power.

I have a project going now, which is a Suzi Laos 800 and I'm hoping to run it around 1200-1300. I'm going to try a Dekker Pyro 700 comp that I have, which seems like a really small motor for such a big heli but we shall see :-) Unfortunately you cannot get such a good gear ratio with a single stage like that, so we'll see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Flew my 800 that way for a while, incredible lhs machine. Super smooth. If you want a little more torque out of the drive train, try using a 16t out of the TDR. We just dropped in either a 6s or 7s pack in place. Collective management is critical though. Darn pro's, make it look so easy. It isn't......
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in