Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Ufly

Ufly Walkera Ufly Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Walkera Tail Shaft replace

Hello, all... I appreciate your help. After buzzing through a Double Horse and a Volitation, I decided to purchase a better quality heli... therefore I bought a Walkera UFLY, and I love it. HOWEVER... the gears that contact the main fly gear strip unbelievably so! After replacement of the front gear yesterday, I took it out to fly today and stripped the drive shaft itself. I have parts on order, but was wondering if any one here could give instruction on how to replace the Tail Driven Shaft (HM-UFLY-Z-11)? Also, are there any specs that I need to work within when replacing? I think part of my problem was that when I replaced the bevel gear to drive the tail rotors yesterday, I must have pushed the boom and assembly to far forward, thereby creating to much friction upon the shaft...

Regardless, I appreciate your insight... I am a newbie, and I am an easily confused newbie at that! Please take that into consideration... Thanks!
OriginalGum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the same predicament on my Uflys after running the tail rotor up against concrete - sheared the tail gear right off at the main gear. Hopefully there's an answer somewhere on this forum.
MasterOnion is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

See post #5 here
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=328961
Old 02-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Hey I DID it!

Hello, MasterOnion... I appreciate your reply and the information that you found for me...! However, I was able to replace that shaft and, I can't believe it, everything STILL works! I was making it much harder than what it needed to be. In fact, I disassembled the entire tail rotor assembly, thinking this was a necessity... it wasn't. I removed the entire boom and with a pair of needle nose pliers removed the shaft. The ends of the new shaft were keyed for the gears, so I just made sure that the keyed ends were flush inside the slots of the gears by tapping the opposite end of the shaft against the table I was working on, replaced the steering gear with a new one that meshes with the main fly gear, put everything back together and now it works fine. I did have to do some tweeking with the tail rotor assembly (having disassembled it) but, wow... after a couple of hours, its all done and flies great. I appreciate your help. I hope your week is shaping up well, and happy flying! Mike
OriginalGum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was out of town for a week and had to order parts from HeliDirect, but I too ended up taking apart the entire tail. After a week, I worked on it again and managed to find a place for all of the parts . My carbon fiber shaft had sheared off at the tail gear that is driven off the main gear. So, I replaced that plastic gear, carbon rod (very hard to get the bearings off, yet they slide right on the new shaft), my slightly bent tail boom, and also discovered I had broken the plastic pieces holding on the horizontal and vertical fins (nothing some CA can't fix). I was going to a club indoor flying session, but test flew it and found that I no longer have enough tail rotor torque to avoid spinning. Maybe it's the heavier Harken blades I put on the mains, but I think maybe I didn't get the tail rotor shaft properly engaged to its gear that meshes with the rear gear on the carbon tail torque tube (I'm making up names for things here; I'm a noob). There seems to be a small little metal pin in the metal shaft to the tail rotor - maybe that was supposed to be inside between the rear bearings and engaged in the plastic gear that supplies power to the tail? Either the tail is slipping (because that pin is not engaged?) or my increased blade weight has increased the main rotor torque.

Tags
replace, shaft, tail, ufly, walkera

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in