Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > MSH Brain FBL Unit

MSH Brain FBL Unit MSH Brain Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Dx6i with Ikon and SL

Hi, I noticed HH has the Dx6i no RX for $139.00.... I like the simpicity of the Dx6i and have a DSM2 version piggybacked on my Realflight sim; (no trust in DSM2 since the dirt nap of my motorglider) considering buying the DSMX Dx6i version now for my T500 with the iKon which is still in the box.....I've read many threads about the iKon with this radio, but still not completely clear about this setup; I believe 6 channels is enough; and I can have SL working also,, I know there are only 2 flight modes but that's plenty for me,, anybody out there have/know of any tricks/great ideas for setting this thing up? Thanks again....
Airscrew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DX6i and Ikon.

I would like info on this as well. Does the new DX6i work with the new Ikon? Looking at buying a Ikon ASAP if there is no issues.
Resqnu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm new to the Brain/Ikon myself, but from what I can see, it assigns your 7th channel to send the signal to go between the 3 pre-configured setups of which you can choose self level within. So a 6 channel will be difficult.

You can always go into advanced screen mode and re-assign the setups signal input to piggy-back off of another channel like throttle or tail gain...but then you're losing flexibility on those channels.
FNFAL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I really am hoping not to be forced to upgrade radios to use the new Ikon. If so, I may go with another gyro
Old 03-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

To get the most out of many flybarless gyros you really need a 7+ channel radio. If you don't already have a DX6i then I would not buy one because you'll just keep running into road blocks.

Also you really get what you pay for. The quality difference between a DX6i and a DX7s/8 is huge.

You won't be forced to upgrade radios to use the Ikon, just you won't get the extra features you can access with the extra channels. Which are features you won't get on any gyro with that few channels so going with another gyro will get you nothing more.
grimbeaver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought a new DX6i a month ago for my Blade 450 3d. I want to convert to FBL. I really like the features of the Ikon and price. Will the DX6i work with the Ikon? if so what features would I lose? Or should I look into selling and upgrading? For someone just starting with a 450 size hell is hat are the pros and cons between the DX7 vs 8? I have searched, but not sure what really applies for me. I am looking to sport fly or just fly around. 3d is way of in my future.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would like to know too can I use my dx6i with the ikon just not have the self level untill I upgrade to a dx8
jveneziano is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The limitation really isn't the fault of the FBL unit, there's simply not enough channels to control all aspects of the FBL. Remember, you need 5 for throttle, pitch, aileron, elevator and rudder. On a 6 channel, that leaves on spare which is usually tail gain.

You *may* be able to assign you gain channel to the bank switching channel on the dx6i (or iKON) which means you won't be able to change gain from the transmitter but you will be able to use SL.

You can certainly start with a 6 channel radio even on FBL but you'll likely need a 7 channel or more when you want to start controlling more channels from the transmitter like a governor or bank switching.

Cheers
Dale
Old 03-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the great info guys ........
Airscrew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the info. Any setups for using the DX6i?
Old 03-22-2013, 04:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello, on next firmware/software release there will be the possibility to set the tail gyro gain on software (locked from software) so it'll be possible to use the ex-gyro channel for bank switching.

Corrado

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in