Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2016, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pixhawk 2

I was wondering if anyone has any information about the Pixhawk 2. I'm not sure if it actually out or not as the website shows it is back ordered.

I am hoping to use it on my gasser and understand that installations of the original Pixhawk on gassers were difficult due to vibration sensitivity.

The new model has more sensors and better dampening so I am hopeful.

For anyone interested the website is as follows.

http://www.proficnc.com/
CodyE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2016, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's not at production volumes yet, but will be soon. I have an Alpha test unit in the mail.

I've actually had one of these for about a year already, came from 3DR from when they were considering producing it.

The internal vibration isolation is mainly designed for multirotors, with higher frequency vibration. I think it's unlikely to work for helicopters. The PH2 will be usable with helis, but will likely need additional vibration isolation.

Former Managing Director of Maxxum Robotics Inc.
R_Lefebvre is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2016, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Rob. I was hoping to hear from you as I have read your posts on your work with gassers. I'm not familiar with Ph2. Please let me know what you are referring to and when it is expected to be available.

Do you have any other recommendations for an an autonomous flight controller for gassers. Perhaps any that could be loaded with Mission planner or interfaced with a separate board loaded with Mission Planner.

I did see where Skookum has a gasser UAV system built around their SK-1000 flight controller. They don't state pricing on their website and called but it looks pricey. The SK-10000 does not appear to be sold alone but with a base station which includes radios and flight control software similar to Ardupilot's Mission Planner.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

PH2 is just short for Pixhawk 2

Interesting, I hadn't heard of the SK-1000. I knew they were dabbling in this with the Sk-720 with GPS. But it wasn't really autonomous.

When you say their software is similar to Mission Planner, what do you mean? From what I can see, I don't see the relationship. Am I missing something?

Note that if you look at photos of the SK-1000 installation, they are also using external vibration isolation.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, I misunderstood your initial reply. That's a tough call deciding or not to install such a great product but having to worry there is a high chance of a fail as it is not specifically designed to handle the vibration of helicopters. I do understand that you can install and test fly without actually using it to control the helicopter and then review the log files for unit failures and other issues.

The video link below shows the demonstrator entering way points into a PC based planner followed by the helicopter auto take off, fly the waypoints, return and auto land.

http://skookumuav.com/?p=82
Old 08-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you know if the Pixhawk is discontinued now, or will the PH and PH2 both be offered?
BounceTester is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2016, 07:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like it has been discontinued but no doubt the Pixhawk clones will remain at least for a while. Looks like 3DR and Ardupilot have parted ways and 3DR is not involved with Pixhawk 2.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, CodyE.

I think that I must be getting into this a little late. I know I need to find the latest Mission Planner, and I need either a clone Pixhawk (I am assuming the HobbyKing and GPS they offer), or try out the PH2.

I will be starting out using a TRex 450 clone, and later move it into larger traditional helicopters.

Would I be better off going the HK clone route, or will the PH2 run the same code and will it work in traditional helis? I am tempted to order a PH2, but I am a little lost at this point.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your welcome BounceTester.

I am a newbie so I really can't give advice about clones but I will tell you what I've gained from reading the forum. Pixhawk 2 works with Mission Planner. Pixhawk can fail on helicopters depending on how well it is isolated from vibrations. Unless you're in a big hurry I would wait on Pixhawk 2 simply because it upgraded technology. No idea if it will have better vibration dampening than the original.

I'm still trying to find/decide on an autonomous flight controller, as based on what I've read, I'm not yet confident enough that I either PH or PH2 won't fail.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for the input.

I put some time into this hobby several years ago. I could fly simulators without a problem. Maybe a 450 was too small, but I had a terrible time keeping the orientation correct when I flew the heli. I would spend 2 hours flying, and a wad of cash on repairs. I could set it up quick from all the practice. I really need a system to stabilize and bail out.

The systems fascinate me. I might go with the PH2 as spend some time on that end of it. Otherwise, the Skookum has my eye.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you flybar or flybarless BounceTester?
Old 08-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

BounceTester,

If you don't require true autonomous flight I believe there are better options for you that have stabilization and bail out. Should be more reliable and easier to setup.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Primarlly, I want something that I can use to provide stabilization and bailout for scale helis.

I as first looking at Wooton and Naza. After seeing that they are no longer supporting products, I started zeroing in on the Skookum. Recently, I ran across the forums and posts regarding the Pixhawk and ArduCopter.

It seems like all the systems have pros and cons. Extreme cost is another issue. If I was protecting a turbine powered scale ship, it wouldn't seem that grear... while still working with a 450, and maybe, a used 600, they seem pretty high. I wouldn't mind trying to help out with development of a system, but time is in short supply. It would be interesting to experiment with ArduCopter. I just haven't seen anything off the shelf that is exactly what I want. For approaching 900 to 1000, I am going to be picky. If I can find something close to 200 or 300, it makes more sense to make do. Very few systems are geared for scale flight.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

What's wrong with IKON2 for less than $200 or CoPilot2 for even less?
Old 09-06-2016, 09:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyE View Post
The video link below shows the demonstrator entering way points into a PC based planner followed by the helicopter auto take off, fly the waypoints, return and auto land.

http://skookumuav.com/?p=82
Thanks, I wasn't aware of this system. After watching the video, I'm not terribly concerned. The flight performance doesn't seem to be very good (ie: slow, low accelerations) nor does it have as many features as Ardupilot. (option laser rangefinders, camera triggering, etc. etc. etc.)

BounceTester: I think that Ardupilot would make a fantastic teaching aid, it's more than just self-leveling, but automatic return to home could be useful in some cases. It would also be fantastic for scale applications because the flight tuning ability. And the failsafes would be useful too. But unfortunately the install and setup is a bit daunting, especially for beginners.

It would be cool to work with a heli manufacturer to come up with an RTF system to eliminate this problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in