Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters

Scale Helicopters Discussions About Scale Helis, compatibility and and projects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2015, 02:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Thermoforming plastic to make landing lights

Here's a technique that I use as an alternative to vacuum forming.

This is to make the landing lights for a Funkey 600 size AS350. Here's a view of the type I am making:

I make a male form, usually with wood, and cast a female from the male, using plaster of Paris, mixed with about 20% cement powder. The cement makes a harder material and it sets much faster than the plaster by itself.

Here is a male mould, partly finished:

The male mould is greased, and a cardboard wall is hot-glued around it, into which the creamy-texture plaster-cement mix is poured. Here are the two parts after separation. The grey is primer used to fill and smooth the wooden part.

I have a sheet of 0.5mm PETG but you can cut the same plastic from soda bottles. If you heat a small sheet all over it will just shrivel up. So, you EITHER need to have a sheet a few inches larger in every direction from your casting, and protect most of the area from heating (e.g. with a cardboard or wooden sheet with a hole cut big enough to heat the working area) OR securely fasten the edges of your plastic sheet to a stiff frame e.g. of ply wood.

So, I place the female mould on the floor, place the PETG sheet over it, place a heat shield over the PETG, exposing an area I want to heat, heat the exposed area with a heat gun (paint stripper type, on low) until it softens, then press the male mould into it.
Here is the raw casting:

And here cut out with the lamp lens hole cut:

And here are both landing lights, buffed with bathroom abrasive cleaner, shaped and drilled, ready for priming.

The lamp lens, and reflector are made in a similar way but no female mould is needed. I just rounded the end of a dowel and pressed it into the heated plastic, supported on plywood with a round hole.

As I assemble the parts I'll post more details. I'm using tiny M1 (1mm daim. shaft) machine screws to fasten these to the fuselage.

Nelson
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	landing lights1.jpg
Views:	1206
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	613770   Click image for larger version

Name:	No 1 unfinished male mould.jpg
Views:	1037
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	613771   Click image for larger version

Name:	No 1 raw cast.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	613773   Click image for larger version

Name:	No 1 hole cut.jpg
Views:	948
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	613774   Click image for larger version

Name:	buffed.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	613775  

Name:	No 1 male and female moulds.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	613776  

Last edited by npomeroy; 10-13-2015 at 03:09 PM..
npomeroy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Super awesome!!!

Thanks for sharing that process. I learned something!
Old 10-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Well done, Nelson. I need to figure out how to use that technique to make up a lens for my Little Bird build. I used duct seal (what I had on hand) to make a casting mold for a second antenna base on my TOW Defender and when ready to take the epoxy, it looked just like the female portion of your mold. Very cool and simple method and a great tip using a bit of Portland in the plaster of Paris. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2015, 02:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
Well done, Nelson. I need to figure out how to use that technique to make up a lens for my Little Bird build. I used duct seal (what I had on hand) to make a casting mold for a second antenna base on my TOW Defender and when ready to take the epoxy, it looked just like the female portion of your mold. Very cool and simple method and a great tip using a bit of Portland in the plaster of Paris. Take care.

Don
Thanks Don.
The idea to add Portland cement came from an engineer when I was a graduate student at Univ. of Toronto - near your home turf. I've been using that male+female casting system on a semi industrial level recently - casting over 1000 small coffee cup sized units for bumblebees to lay eggs in.
If you just want a convex lens you just need a dowel or broom-stick the the end shaped accordingly, and press it into the softened plastic. One trick that may be interesting, is to press the plastic into woven cloth on a cushioned pad. The weave leaves a matte hatched pattern that look like a lamp lens pattern but it also took away the clarity.

Another tip for this technique:
If there is no gap between the two moulds the plastic may not fit between them. Sometimes I use a layer of flexible tape over the male mould before casting the female - then peel it off and thus create a gap. But if you grease the male first, by the time you've removed the grease later, and sanded the female to a smooth surface there is usually enough gap.

Here's some more images:
Male mould for the recessed light:

With the wall filled with plaster:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	No 2 raw male mould.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	613904   Click image for larger version

Name:	plaster poured.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	613905   Click image for larger version

Name:	No 2 moulds.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	613906  
Old 10-14-2015, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That is super awesome! Very nice work. Question though... When you say "grease" are you actually referring to grease that I would pack a wheel bearing or similar with?
Old 10-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicJet View Post
That is super awesome! Very nice work. Question though... When you say "grease" are you actually referring to grease that I would pack a wheel bearing or similar with?
It's just for easy separation of the 2 parts. I use "petroleum jelly" ("Vaseline" in some markets) but I've used bearing grease as well. You need to remove it after if you don't want it on the plastic - problem for painting of course.

Nelson
Old 03-28-2017, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile Thermoforming plastic to make landing lights

Nice work!thanks for sharing
gidz25 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2019, 10:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Alternative Make

Amazing! Your Skills are Top Notch!

I am not skilled well, to try that way. As i need thouse lights, I designed in CAD and printed. It worked nice, i am satisfied.

Name:	S1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	823531 Click image for larger version

Name:	s2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	823533 Click image for larger version

Name:	s3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	823535 Click image for larger version

Name:	s4.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	823537 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191101_131103~2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	823539 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191101_153627~2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	823541 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191101_153730~2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	823543 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191101_153802~2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	823545

This is a 470 size fuselage, but as the lights are CAD designed for printing 3D, they can be scaled in any size.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

They look good. Will you make the transparent "lens" for the front by pressing a dome shape in clear plastic?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in