Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spartan RC > Spartan Vortex

Spartan Vortex Spartan RC - Vortex VX1 Factory Support Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx View Post
Check your lead, try another one if you can. All my REX receivers are powered by that one lead from the Vortex.
Nailed it, didn't seat the pin all the way in the connector i made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2016, 05:24 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

So it is alright to power the Vortex (via BEC or 2s lipo) and then power the Jeti Rx via the single bus cable from the Vortex Rx port?

Just making sure since all of the Spartan wiring diagrams appear to have the Rx receiving power and then feeding the Vortex.

I bench tested and both ways seem to work fine. But for cleaner install I would prefer a single cable at the Rx side. Vortex receiving the power and all other wires.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2016, 06:21 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your best off supplying the power source directly to the FBL power bus. The only thing the RX needs is a small amount of current to run on. So always connect the BEC or rx pack directly to the power bus, usually the flybarless.
Flown on Jeti DS-16, Brain2, RCHN #222
MKS Servos, Scorpion Tribunus, MSH P700, Synergy e5s, N5cTT
Dmaxison is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2016, 07:42 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxison View Post
Your best off supplying the power source directly to the FBL power bus. The only thing the RX needs is a small amount of current to run on. So always connect the BEC or rx pack directly to the power bus, usually the flybarless.
Awesome, thanks thats perfect!
Old 02-26-2017, 02:25 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

A couple questions Ross.

I am stuck on page 34, Receiver Outputs, Ensure all used channels are groups A-C.

I am using an REX3. I only get Group A on Throttle, and Group C on Elevator. Roll Group is blank. Pitch Yaw and Gyro Sens are N/A.

I can only change the ones that have a Group letter already.

I also do not see the Vortex when I go to Device Explorer. Jeti DS14 has the Vortex Heli.bin file and the VX1e is V4.52.

What Receiver setting do you use in the Vortex? PPM or UDI? on PPM the VX1e initializes but I have no control and the data pod does not see any inputs from the radio. On UDI it doesnt initialize.

Little help here. Completely lost.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:55 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Don't worry too much about the groups, the default on the REX has been correct on every one I've ever setup.

You want to set the Vortex to Ex-Bus, and then on the REX set either E1 or E2 to Ex-Bus.

Once you do that the Vortex should show up in Device Explorer. If it doesn't, check the firmware version you're running on your radio.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2017, 04:10 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK Thanks Ross. I was using a DataPod with earlier firmware yet it still allowed me to change thins. However the ExBus was not there. I used Studio to change it. All good now.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:44 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, it will let you change things, but you risk things not working correctly.

You should always update the DataPod first, and ensure it matches the vortex version.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:39 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

I didn't update it because I still have a couple Heli's on older updates. I have a rule that I never should change over a whole working fleet. Bit by bit. Oh well, lesson learned.

Only down side is I was excited that everything was working and when I went to hook up the MUI sensor I shorted out the PowerBus on the Protos 800. Now two of the ports don't work on the PowerBus. VX1e, ReX 3 and MUI are good. But still.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:07 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

How do you like your protos? I think is the protos evoluzione is one awesome looking helicopter!!!!!!!!!!
Wyno is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2017, 08:44 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

I absolutely love it. That is why I have one as a 780 and one as a 715. Not evoluzione though. Bueatiful but a little spendy for me. Stock form the Protos Max just can't be beat. Most versatile and economical bird out there. From 690-820.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelinpr View Post
I didn't update it because I still have a couple Heli's on older updates. I have a rule that I never should change over a whole working fleet. Bit by bit. Oh well, lesson learned.
Just upgrade and downgrade the DataPod as needed. Although, once your Jeti integration is up and running I suspect you'll just downgrade the DataPod and use it on the old helis, you won't need it on the new one :-)
Old 04-05-2017, 11:43 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaofos View Post
Something I noticed going through the conversion from Spektrum to Jeti with the Vortex integration on two models in a row now.

The guide states that the channel assignment is automatic, but that hasn't been the case for me. In both conversions, I've updated the firmware (3.78 -> 4.52) on a VX1e and VX1n, and both times after setting the Vortex to ExBUS, I've had to modify the channel assignments (specifically yaw, pitch and gyro) to match the Jeti.

On my second model, I had previously used the RX for simulator, did a factory reset and followed the settings for the guide, however channels 4-6 don't belong to a "group", and I don't seem to be able to modify this in the radio. Not sure what the implications of this are, I can't seem to find anything specific on setting these groups so far.
Hi Myxiplx,

I've not long got my DS-14 and I'm just messing about with it at this stage. I hooked it up the REX 3 Rx I got the other day with a VX1n, just to check that the DS-14 sees the Vortex and to check out the menus etc.

I noticed that in the device explorer > REX 3 > Output, I only see a Group (A) for the throttle channel, all the other channels are either blank or N/A and I can't change them.

Both my DS-14 and the REX 3 are using the latest FW.

I know you said that the groups don't seem to matter, but I do find it a little odd that only the throttle channel (1) seems to be in a group and everything else is seemingly unassigned or "fixed"

Having the channels grouped as A,B,C-A,B,C would seem to be an advantage to help smooth out the voltage spikes on the power bus, but since I can't change the groups.........

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

MB
Old 04-06-2017, 03:10 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't know I'm afraid, I'm not an expert in Jeti, I wrote the guide based on the recommendations online at the time, and the settings I saw in my own receivers.

It would be worth asking the question in the Jeti forum to see if the guys there can explain why the settings have changed.

This shouldn't have any effect on your power bus though, it's a minor signalling change to ensure the more important servos get the fastest signal, not something you need to tweak for power issues.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:53 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

O.K. No worries, thanks mate. I watched a Jeti short (video) where they mentioned groups and suggested that it might be useful, but they may have been referring to much larger RC aircraft, where the servos draw a lot more current in certain situations, and so the voltage can spike a fair bit.

I'll ask over in the Jeti forum, but I doubt it's an issue, more a curiosity really.

MB
Old 04-06-2017, 05:22 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle Boy View Post
Hi Myxiplx,

I've not long got my DS-14 and I'm just messing about with it at this stage. I hooked it up the REX 3 Rx I got the other day with a VX1n, just to check that the DS-14 sees the Vortex and to check out the menus etc.

I noticed that in the device explorer > REX 3 > Output, I only see a Group (A) for the throttle channel, all the other channels are either blank or N/A and I can't change them.

Both my DS-14 and the REX 3 are using the latest FW.

I know you said that the groups don't seem to matter, but I do find it a little odd that only the throttle channel (1) seems to be in a group and everything else is seemingly unassigned or "fixed"

Having the channels grouped as A,B,C-A,B,C would seem to be an advantage to help smooth out the voltage spikes on the power bus, but since I can't change the groups.........

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

MB
What output mode is your REX set to (UDI, PPM, etc?).

This makes sense to me - since you are on a REX3, you have to use a single-line protocol to communicate with the FBL.

The only channel that it makes sense to separate in that scenario is the throttle. Some FBL units don't handle the throttle and want it connected directly to the receiver, and other FBLs pass the throttle through (or govern it with a sensor).

Matt
TORCHS member, AMA 64878, Citizen 690
Mattinfla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattinfla View Post
What output mode is your REX set to (UDI, PPM, etc?).

This makes sense to me - since you are on a REX3, you have to use a single-line protocol to communicate with the FBL.

The only channel that it makes sense to separate in that scenario is the throttle. Some FBL units don't handle the throttle and want it connected directly to the receiver, and other FBLs pass the throttle through (or govern it with a sensor).

Matt
Hi Matt, Thank you for your reply

I'm using EX-BUS to the Vortex from the REX 3. I think I understand what you mean, but jaofos was seeing different results with his REX 3 connected to a Vortex. He was seeing Channels 1 - 3 as Group A,B,C (I think) and then all the other channels were either not in a group or N/A.

Would it make any difference that I was just messing about with it, so I had only the REX 3 connected to the Vortex, and power being supplied by a 4 cell ni-cad pack, so no servos or ESC were connected.

I have created a thread in the Jeti forum, but no replies thus far since it's only early morning now for you guys in the US of A.

Thanks!!

MB
Old 04-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

There was a minor bug when switching protocols, did you try switching away from xbus then back again? Just a thought.

Steve
Old 04-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcopterman View Post
There was a minor bug when switching protocols, did you try switching away from xbus then back again? Just a thought.

Steve
Hi Steve,

Do you mean the bug with the Vortex not mapping the channels correctly? TBH, no, I just changed the channel mapping manually with a datapod. Perhaps that might have something to do with it. I'll reset the Vortex and try again.

MB
Old 04-06-2017, 12:33 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry, it was a mapping ordeal, you are correct.

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in