Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Audacity

Audacity Audacity Pantera Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2016, 07:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Who is using an IKON gyro?

I'd like feedback on the IKON gyro, please. Your experiences, good, bad, indifferent would be welcome. Innocuous details may be important, e.g. is it mounted in a nitro or electric model? How is it mounted? Where is it mounted? Also, which servos are you using? Also, how long has it been in service? Has it been updated? Is it using the latest firmware? Importantly, would you buy it again? If not, why not? Or what would you buy, instead?
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
jbeech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can only respond on the mini IKON. I put it on my 180cfx. Mounted it in the normal 180 fbl location, bottom tray. Using Lynx servos. My initial experience with it wasn't good as I received a unit which wouldn't connect with the software. This was quickly remedied by great support from the vendor I ordered it from and their rep on these forums, Alex Rose. Dare I say, the service was comparable with yours John. Used one layer of 3m 4011 tape to mount.

After receiving my new unit and connecting it all was well. Another forum member helped me dial in the proper numbers as the Lynx servos didn't react well with the default 180 settings. Software is easy to navigate and there is alot of parameter adjustability so you should be able to able to dial in the proper feel for yourself.

At this point I'm using firmware that is one generation ago. Haven't updated to the next firmware yet as I'm really satisfied with how my little bird flies. Its very smooth and refined feeling. Would absolutely buy this again. Don't think I'll toss my Vbars in the trash but the Ikon/Brain is a nice choice. Jim
jiminator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2016, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was able to pick up a version 1 micro Ikon half price. It was my first time ever doing an FBL. Even though I should have used bigger I put it on my 450X that had an old 3G. I did have to use adapter cables for standard servo plugs. I will have to say setting it up with some help here was not hard at all. I would buy one again. Even setting up rescue was a breeze. A member here named toadiscoil posted a thread about doing it on a 6 channel radio:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=756569

Mine is mounted on top behind the head where the old gyro was. I used a DSMX sat for RX. At first I had a cheapo Usmile one but have since replaced it with a Spektrum name brand. KST215 cyclic servos and a Futaba S9257 tail servo. It is updated to the latest firmware as of date of this post. Many have had good luck with lemon sats.

There are several other helpful threads in the MSH forum. If you are deciding which FBL to buy I can recommend it.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2016, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 4 of them in use right now. All on electric models. 3 are the older model and one of the new v2 type. I love it. Easy to setup, great software on the PC with a whole lot of detail within it. Works well with my PM servos as well on my DT520. I use the 3M grey or clear tape to mount it. It comes with 2 squares of the clear in the box.

Everything in my sig that isn't a micro has one on it.

The default tuning parameters out of the box seem to work pretty well except that I usually end up raising I gain on the tail for better piro smoothness.

Rescue is also nice (if you remember to activate it.)

Best part is that they are actively and continually adding features to it. The vibe analysis and new logging functions are very nice. I don't have a Jeti for the latest integration that they just released.

All this at a pretty reasonable price.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi John,

I like that iKON dovetails nicely with Spektrum. Also makes the best of a 6 channel radio, although 7 or more allows bank switching plus panic functionality.

The software is great, follow the onscreen directions and you will have a flyable model. You can tweak it to perfection, but it gets to a 90%+ solution. I only had to make real adjustments when I began to explore low head speed to get the tail to behave.

I wish I had purchased the Bluetooth dongle, it will save a lot of time during setup. No need for a laptop, everything from the smartphone.

The new versions have units with BT onboard, as well as, being able to be powered up by USB. JETI users get full integration as well.

Lots of bang for the buck.

If/when, I'll be glad to give you the settings I am currently using.

Have a great day,

Chris
0nemildot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2016, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

John,

Sorry I didn't include the particulars. So here they are.

Bought new, in service since May.

Using your servos: the 215oz cyclic and your tail. The software allows you to input the servo attributes during setup.

When new software is available, it automatically downloads and updates the firmware to the IKON.

I am flying electric and have the iKON mounted on the right forward portion of the frame. I did that out of convenience. The software will allow you to mount the unit in any orientation. You just need enough clearance to access the USB port. (Moot point if you go with BT and can power up with a receiver pack).

I also use the iKON governor.

The new rescue feature also includes the ability for positive collective after returning to level. (I have not used this feature). IF you ever use it successfully, it basically pays for itself!

MSH seems to be all in and responsive to their customers. Alex Rose owns MSH USA and OnTheSnap is his HeliFreak handle.

I'd buy again and take advantage of BT functionality.

Chris
0nemildot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in