Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > eXo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2017, 08:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Skid fell off during flight

Hi guys,Bryce Hatfield was in town and he flew my exo today like he stole it and mid flight,the right skid slipped off the plastic clamp due to his high g maneuvers. I'm going to roughen the surface of the skid and apply some ca to the plastic clamp and hopefully it does not happen again.

Damages: scratched blade tips and canopy.

Isko
Mikado logo 800xxtreme,480 xxtreme,600sx,Goblin 770C,Black Nitro 700,Goblin 380,Compass Exo,Gaui NX7, NX4,T-Rex 744 Turbine,T-Rex 600XN,Vbar Neo & Vcontrol,Skookum Robotics,JETI DS16,JR 28X,Spektrum DX20.
Isko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I would be using a little Epoxy since it's not as brittle as CA and the skid will flex a lot especially during landings
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 08:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Skids should never fall off. Keven (a team pilot from Germany) suggested reinstalling the skid in the rubber clamp without the washer. He said it will hold the skids much tighter.

Honestly, I've never had a problem with my skids on both my EXO and Warp.

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Jim and Scott. I'll try removing the washer first and roughen up the surface a bit. I never thought that the skids would fall off,but Bryce really put the heli through it's paces and I was amazed to see how good the exo performed with his style of flying,smack big air moves. Max amp pulled was around 150 amp. And he loves the exo. I'm sure he's gonna get one when he returns to Arizona

Isko
Mikado logo 800xxtreme,480 xxtreme,600sx,Goblin 770C,Black Nitro 700,Goblin 380,Compass Exo,Gaui NX7, NX4,T-Rex 744 Turbine,T-Rex 600XN,Vbar Neo & Vcontrol,Skookum Robotics,JETI DS16,JR 28X,Spektrum DX20.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just removing the washers should solve this
Old 03-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Keven. I'll do that

Isko
Old 03-16-2017, 09:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Skids are what scares me on this bird and the canopy is what annoy's me.

They just seem so flimsy when taking off .. not stable and or if your blades are not perfect the torque makes the bird shake a bit. I get the point of them.. do not get me wrong but they are a bit scary for me.

(I hope that maybe they come out with a upgraded version of skids maybe). Somthing a bit more rigid or solid feeling.
Mikado Logo 700/Synergy 516\Vbar Vcontrol Touch/Neo/RCHN #612 IRCHA#5289
Iskareot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your blades are really tight in the grips it takes a lot more rpm until they center properly which causes the shake during spool up. Your blades only need to be tight enough that they don't fall when the heli is held sideways.
dominator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
If your blades are really tight in the grips it takes a lot more rpm until they center properly which causes the shake during spool up. Your blades only need to be tight enough that they don't fall when the heli is held sideways.
Just to add to this, the only reason to ever have blades tight in the grips is if you do blade stop auto rotations. Also, the shaking on the ground happens regardless of brand and will continue until the blades find their happy spot in the grips.

Skids? Remove the washer from the skid mount and tighten the screw. They'll be extra tight.

Scott

Old 03-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I mean mine are normal compared to all my other helis I have had (like 7 goblins lol) again, I get the idea of the shake.. and why... I just know it is more then normal due to the design.

Not sure about taking off the washers or using any type of glue or any of that but yeah.. it is different for sure.
Mikado Logo 700/Synergy 516\Vbar Vcontrol Touch/Neo/RCHN #612 IRCHA#5289
Iskareot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2017, 05:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello,

the way it is planed works so far really good. Even though we think it is better to skip the washers in the future.

Future kits will not have the washers anymore.
It will need some weeks to get this changes into the kit and manual.

Regards Sebastian
Old 03-23-2017, 05:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default skids

We had a complete other problem with the same result, after mounting the skids, one of them came of very easily although we thorroughly tightend the bolts, after inspection we foun out tha one of the threaded alu supports in wich you screw the skip bolt was not drilled deep enough , as a result of that the plastic clamps could not close enough to secure the skids.
we drilled the hole deeper and re-threaded it, we also found out that there can be used 1mm longer bolts in the stock situation so there is more strength in the alu thread making it possible to screw the skids on with just that little bit more force.
We will remove the washers also, thanks for the tip.

PS polishing and greasing the quick exchange canopy mounts helps
but they are still a bit difficult to loosten.
sysko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2017, 06:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysko View Post
We had a complete other problem with the same result, after mounting the skids, one of them came of very easily although we thorroughly tightend the bolts, after inspection we foun out tha one of the threaded alu supports in wich you screw the skip bolt was not drilled deep enough , as a result of that the plastic clamps could not close enough to secure the skids.
we drilled the hole deeper and re-threaded it, we also found out that there can be used 1mm longer bolts in the stock situation so there is more strength in the alu thread making it possible to screw the skids on with just that little bit more force.
We will remove the washers also, thanks for the tip.

PS polishing and greasing the quick exchange canopy mounts helps
but they are still a bit difficult to loosten.
Was the improperly drilled hole in a production or test model? I'm asking because you said, "We" and this needs to be identified.

Scott

Old 03-27-2017, 09:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isko View Post
Hi guys,Bryce Hatfield was in town and he flew my exo today like he stole it and mid flight,the right skid slipped off the plastic clamp due to his high g maneuvers. I'm going to roughen the surface of the skid and apply some ca to the plastic clamp and hopefully it does not happen again.

Damages: scratched blade tips and canopy.

Isko
I had the same situation. Im assuming the skid popped out during landing on the previous flight. Had the skids come off 4-5 times after landing.

Ill be using epoxy on mine from now on.
Hardsy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2017, 04:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine came off again even after removing the washer.....same right front skid. I have now put a dab of ca just to be sure.

Isko
Old 03-28-2017, 06:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is interesting. Can someone take pictures of the landing gear and mounts from a front to back and back to front perspective after reinstalling the landing gear?

Scott

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in