Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 425

Hurricane 425 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 425

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What's the real scoop on parts?

Hello Gaui family! So I've stumbled across what seems to be a great deal on a 425 and I think I want to pull the trigger on it but I have a couple concerns. First let me give you a brief history.
I've had a Blade MCP-X for about a month now. I've started flying inverted, although 3D flying isn't high on my priority list. What I really want is a nice larger, stable heli that will pack a go pro.
I had thought I would move to the Blade 450X for this purpose but I came across this Gaui and here are my concerns:

1. Parts
Some of the research shows that the Gaui parts are inexpensive while other results say they are very expensive. So with respect to a smaller 450 like the Blade, which is it?
Also, my LHS doesn't carry anything for Gaui, or do they? Again, research is conflicting. Are some Align 500 parts interchangable?

2. Stability
I would assume being larger, stability will be better as well? (I just threw this question in as filler )
Has anyone seen the Naza-H on a 425?
fiveflat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Parts are not as common as Trex parts. But I don't think anything has parts as common as Trex parts.

Gaui X5 has some parts that work on the Hurricanes,

Empire and RCdumbthumbs have the parts at a good price. I plan on placing an order for a bunch of spares before the season really gets going. Price does not seem bad, they just are not always in stock. Some of the alloy head parts seem high, but look around, they tend to be for most helis.

I am using some blades form Helidirect. $15. They are working good for me. 430mm, close enough.

I believe a Trex 500 FBL head will fit on these helis. Tarot makes one for $45.

A 500 is a lot more stable than a 450. I also think a 500 will manage a gopro a lot easier.
SQRT(-2) is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks SQRT.

I also have two close LHS that both carry Blade and Align and with that in mind I was kinda looking for an excuse not to get this Gaui but I really don't think there is. Flybar certainly isn't a reason over a FBL I don't think. I know I would be happy to own a respected brand too.
fiveflat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 01:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

A few thoughts, since I have owned Hurri's for over 4 years.

Parts support can get a little confusing now. Many of the Hurricane 425/550 parts are also now used on the Gaui X4 and X5. Gaui has changed the part numbers for those parts that are listed as being for the X series helicopters. Many of the 425/550 parts now seem to be out of stock almost everywhere, but, the identical part with the " X Series" part numbers are in stock. The trick is knowing which parts are actually "former" Hurricane series parts, just with a new part number. I have been slowly compiling a list of them as I order the 'X' series parts, and plan on updating the list on my website so others will have this info available.

For the most part, Gaui parts are reasonable priced, except, as mentioned above, most of their CNC upgrade parts are priced too high IMO. Not sure which, if any Align parts might fit but I have 'heard' that some of the Trex 500 parts will work.

One of the nice things about the Hurri is that there are 3 boom/belt/control rod conversion kits available for under $20. You can run the short boom and 430mm blades, medium boom and 500mm blades, or long boom and 550mm blades. There are also many different gearing combinations available with the multi-gear system it uses. Most people new to the Hurri don't realize the the 425 and the 550 are almost identical and share about 95% of the same parts. So, if the 425 isn't quite big enough for your needs, a simple conversion to a 550 might be.

I don't need the latest and greatest. I just need more time to fly what I have.
Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Hurricane 425 uses great servos in stock form. I have been thrashing the GS-501 and 502 servos in my X5 for hundreds of flights and they keep asking for more punshment. The servos alone are worth half the price of admission on the hurri 425.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in