Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion > Electric Motors Winding and Repair

Electric Motors Winding and Repair Electric Motors Winding and Repair Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My brushed motors aren't heating up

Well, brushed motors were supposed to generate (a lot) of heat while operating, right? My motors are barely heating up. I have a sub-micro QS5010 heli smaller than my hand. It uses 2 main brushed motors in a coaxial configuration with a tail fan, classic 3.5CH model. After flights, I touch the motors and they're slightly warm, sometimes it's hard to really tell if it even generated any heat at all.

The curious thing is that I was walking around the city park the other day and I saw a dude flying an early version of a V912 (fully brushed). He was ignoring all flying safety patterns, dodging people, cars, bikes and trees. Apart from that he was getting about 5min. per flight, which according to the internet equates to 100% of the battery capacity. I asked him if I could touch the motors, and when I did, I almost burned my fingers. That thing was melting! Both main rotor and tail rotor motor were extremely hot. He told me that those were new, and it was the second time he went out to flight with them. The guy was also quite new to the hobby, and apparently didn't made enough research given his behavior - I said nothing. However I don't get it. The V912 should have a good power to weight ratio, even brushed. He was flying with a little more than half throttle. I also fly with more than half throttle, using the tail fan constantly. I only do 3,5min flights though (80%). How is that my motors are so cool, even in hot days?

Last edited by Feather Project; 05-05-2017 at 03:31 PM..
Feather Project is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2017, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

His was outside fighting the wind and sounds like he was doing more than hover in place. More stress you and the wind put on them the hotter they get.

Usually it's only the tail motor that gets hot since it's fighting the main rotor and the wind with a tiny prop so it's spinning at a much higher rpm.

You're actually supposed to break a brushed motor in by running it at 1/3 throttle with no load for a couple few minutes.

No one really bothers to do a break in with micro motors nor do they bother monitoring how hot they get since they're just cheap little throw aways. Plus most upgrade to a better heli before they need a new motor for their lil fixed pitch/coax trainer anyways.

Beat em to death and toss em in the trash...lol
Old 05-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
You're actually supposed to break a brushed motor in by running it at 1/3 throttle with no load for a couple few minutes.
Tell me more about that. I had no idea that it was necessary to break in motors as well. Can you explain the whole procedure and say If brushless motors also needs that? My next heli will be a V911, and I want MAXIMUM performace and durability.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Project View Post
Tell me more about that. I had no idea that it was necessary to break in motors as well. Can you explain the whole procedure and say If brushless motors also needs that? My next heli will be a V911, and I want MAXIMUM performace and durability.
No brushless motors don't need to be broke in since they use bearings instead of bushings and don't have brushes

The only micro that I felt it was necessary to do it on is the nano cpx. I was killing motors in 25-50 flights so I started breaking them in first and would get 250 flights out of them after that

You just plug the motor into the board but don't install it in the heli. Run it with the throttle stick about 1/3 of the way up for 2-3 minues. Then install it and go easy for 1 or two flights and you're good to go.

Would always fly in idle up/agility/stunt/flat throttle curve/whatever you want to call it lol.

Not a option with a coaxial or fixed pitch heli of course but the little motors in my nano definitely liked being at a steady throttle all the time using pitch for altitude ect instead of throttle. Throttle going up and down all the time is hard on them.

Most micros with brushed motors are fine if you break the motor in by flying them but it definitely made a difference on the nano cpx
Old 05-01-2017, 10:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You just plug the motor into the board but don't install it in the heli. Run it with the throttle stick about 1/3 of the way up for 2-3 minues. Then install it and go easy for 1 or two flights and you're good to go.
Well, I don't think I'll be able to do this with the V911 motors. Or maybe I could. If I take off the blades and leave the motor running only the main gear... Argh, I don't know. Would there be a problem If I did this with the blades on?
Old 05-01-2017, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Project View Post
Well, I don't think I'll be able to do this with the V911 motors. Or maybe I could. If I take off the blades and leave the motor running only the main gear... Argh, I don't know. Would there be a problem If I did this with the blades on?
Just pull the main gear off so the motor is only spinning the pinion gear that's glued to it.

If the motor isn't brand new then it's totally pointless. Only for replacement motors you just pulled out of the package. Even in a brand new heli they've probably already tested the heli/motor so there's no point breaking it in.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Even in a brand new heli they've probably already tested the motor so there's no point breaking it in
You mean in the factory? Or the seller itself? Here there's a lot of sellers that "test" the products that they sell. I don't buy stuff from them.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Either one and maybe sometimes both. If the heli has a QC sticker then it was test flown unless the sticker is on the flight controller or esc. Those probably mean the control board or esc was tested.

If the heli has left the ground then there's no point in breaking the motor in since 30sec of flight will do more than 3min of 0 load spinning will.

I really don't think it's necessary on the WL helis anyway. Nano CPX is the only micro I know of that's well known for premature motor failure and its motors cost $12ea. Cheap as far as rc motors go but if you go through 3 in a week it adds up and gets annoying.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Shoot if I was buying Blade micros I would be happy if the seller tested them first, that's a huge bonus.

Many of them have issues out of the box so you have to send them back and wait two weeks or so to get em back. Them testing them first should prevent you from having to go through that.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The problem with that is that they test just about everything, your heli, your batteries, your electronics. 99% of the time the seller doesn't have a clue of what he's doing. Then after charging up the LiPo totally or discharging it entirely he sends it to you, something that the only national delivery mail service can't handle, of course, and then you get your pack 2 months later with everything screwed up, but if anything the fault is yours because the seller "tested it all" before sending it over. Lucky you if you don't get a bent of cracked heli. The seller surely is highly professional and would never try to fly you bird or mess with your stuff after all.

... Welcome to Brazil mah boyz

Tags
brushed, eletric motors, sub-micro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in