Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Video Link ->System Menu Overview Part 2 - Sys Menus 11 through 15 (75 Megs)

This link do not work!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjames View Post
Video Link ->System Menu Overview Part 2 - Sys Menus 11 through 15 (75 Megs)

This link do not work!!
did you not read the previous post....
Old 10-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #43 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeze View Post
Bob,

Great videos so far. I was wondering if you could comment on the feel and ergonomics of this tx. How does it feel in your hands? What are the gimbals like? What are your impressions of the switches, trim tabs, side levers, knobs, and navigation pad?

Thanks for your time and effort.

Jeff
ASK and tho shalt receive! I was getting ready to shoot Stick Calibration and since you asked, shot this quickie video on Ergonomics and my opinion.

Here you go! It's added to the video list! Interaction and questions as I do these videos gets you more

Mapleleafs, thanks for the link issue... I fixed that!

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #44 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

AH crap! I forgot to rotate the Ergonomics video... Hang tight! I was busy talking to Terry Moore when I was compressing it. I am going to pull it and fix it. Stay tuned. Give me 10 minutes and I will have it fixed.

Sorry about that

Bob
Old 10-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #45 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

OK, the Ergo video is now reposted... Sorry for the mix up! Talking to Terry can be very technical and makes me forget what I am doing

Terry... you are bad influence man but you gave me some GREAT ideas for future videos on showing some tips and power of this radio.

Guys, I am no expert on this radio and talking to folks that have used it a while HELPS me bring you all better videos. I have to say it has been a complete PLEASURE to work with the AT guys on this project! The more I learn and didn't even conjecture myself, is just plain BITCHEN! Terry shared with me the idea of a inverted HOLD switch (for practicing inverted autos). Something I never would have thought of on my own. Expect to see that idea in a video! THANK YOU Terry!

Bob
Old 10-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
The picture on the WIKI page Farrell (Good job Farrell) provided you is the female connector as seen from the back of the radio!
Bob
Good catch. In that case, maybe the pin numbers I provided are not technically the correct pin numbers, but it works as I mentioned. So to clarify:

If you do this:

Then you get to do this:

Farrell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

"The more I learn and didn't even conjecture myself, is just plain BITCHEN!"

Awe, Come on Bob, it can't be that bad-to-the-bone, OR can it????

Tyler

Last edited by Finless; 10-20-2009 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: fixed the quote because of a spelling edit :)
Tyler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 07:59 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafs View Post
did you not read the previous post....
I saw it at the last minutes.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #49 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
"The more I learn and didn't even conjecture myself, if BITCHEN!"

Awe, Come on Bob, it can't be that bad-to-the-bone, OR can it????

Tyler
Dude.... let me tell you a REAL story. Because I had the money I bought what I thought was the best radio money could buy. At the time in 2004 that was the FUtaba 9Z WII C. KICK ARSE radio. But the manual sucked and I was seriously dumbfounded by what the hell some of the capabilities of the radio allowed. So I spent the time learning it. The ONLY way to learn it and what stuff did was to use the servo "monitor" menu (which IS your friend) and hooking up a RX and servos to SEE what was going on. I spent a huge amount of personal time doing this because "I needed to know". In the end I learned the radio and the extreme power it had. Problem was the menu system was just plain AWEFUL...
Dude... No BS here. This menu system on the 10G is a HELL of a lot easier YET the radio has all the ability of that $900 radio. Now adays the 9Z is old school but lets look at the 14MZ which I had and know. Other than the swash interaction menu, this radio has everything a 14MZ has other than that menu. BUT this radio does have the ability to do everything the swash menu on the 14MZ except for sure it is a little harder to use. Other than that. You are seriously looking as a $500 radio that CAN do anything a $2000 can! An that my friend is NO BS.

So yes..... It is THAT bad to the bone! Wait and see as I go through more with videos. You will see

By the way so everyone knows how I am comparing what I say to what I have had. Here are the recent radios I have owned
Futaba 7C
Futaba 9C
Futaba 9Z WII C
Futaba 14MZ
Futaba 10C
Spektrum DX7
JR X9303
JR 12X

All of these I have owned and used in the last 3 years. I do not claim to be an expert but I think relevance is in fact RELEVANT

Bob

Last edited by Finless; 10-20-2009 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: updated 2 years to 3 years. TIME FLYS!
Old 10-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #50 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Another video posted... GOD I think I babbled too much on this one?

Anyway System Menu - Stick Calibration is now posted!

Bob
Old 10-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
ASK and tho shalt receive! I was getting ready to shoot Stick Calibration and since you asked, shot this quickie video on Ergonomics and my opinion.
Wow! Thanks for that! I was reluctant to pull the trigger without being able to see one in person, but I think you've provided the next best thing.

Again very, very cool that you would take the time to answer my question with a video. I think this pretty much seals the deal for me.

Jeff
freeze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #52 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeze View Post
Wow! Thanks for that! I was reluctant to pull the trigger without being able to see one in person, but I think you've provided the next best thing.

Again very, very cool that you would take the time to answer my question with a video. I think this pretty much seals the deal for me.

Jeff
Jeff as with anything you buy that you HOLD in your hands.... regardless of my videos, You really should go to a hobby shop or somewhere you can hold this radio yourself. Ergo stuff is personal and everyone is different! Like a camera, keyboard for a PC, etc... trying it out and feeling it is a personal thing and one that you should do if you can. If you cant, I hope it meets your expectations! In other words... Don't blame me if you don't like it
BUT! it's OK to blame me if you do!

Bob
Old 10-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Jeff as with anything you buy that you HOLD in your hands.... regardless of my videos, You really should go to a hobby shop or somewhere you can hold this radio yourself. Ergo stuff is personal and everyone is different! Like a camera, keyboard for a PC, etc... trying it out and feeling it is a personal thing and one that you should do if you can. If you cant, I hope it meets your expectations! In other words... Don't blame me if you don't like it
BUT! it's OK to blame me if you do!

Bob
Good advice from Bob, no matter how the videos look if the ergonomics aren't right you won't be happy.

Good vids too by the way.

One thing to keep in mind is that if there is a switch location issue and you want a switch in a different location you can do it yourself or you can send the radio back in to Airtronics Service and they can do for no charge either before it ships from Hobby People or when you send it back to them. The return shipping is on Airtronics. For the folks that prefer the Flight mode switch on the left corner like other radios, this can be handled easily and they can put the spring loaded switch in a new location to make it like a current radio or to satisfy a personal preference. Since the switches are fully programmable it is up to the enduser to put them where they are needed.

For those folks that prefer short throttle stick throws, stick stops will be arriving in November and will be available for the folks that want/need them. This is where the calibration procedure comes in handy in that if you want to do the stick stops as an afterthought the radio will easily handle it for you. Right now the current offering comes with the long throws on throttle like some of the Futaba radios but the radio will let you do it either way.

TM
TMoore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob, first of all thank you again for all the videos. You wondered what might be the use of channel reassignment on the receiver. I'd like to suggest a tip how to use it. Let's suppose you have 10 channel receiver which comes with the radio and a 6 channel receiver on 2 different models. I can use Safity Link feature only with 10 channel receiver, but I don't want to make a mistake and fly the model with 6 channel receiver with the settings of another model with 10 channel receiver. I can reassign the throttle channel on 6 channel receiver to Gyro gain and usually it has no -100% setting on any combination of sticks and switches. The throttle channel will be on 5th channel, and the gyro gain on channel 3. So if I select a wrong model my TX will not link saying High Throttle until I select the correct model. Hope that makes sense.
askiba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009, 01:14 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I know of two uses for channel mapping:

1. The FHSS-1 receivers only have fail safe for the first four channels, the other channels will just hold their last known position. You can map your three swash plate servos and your throttle servo to the first four channels so that if fails-safe mode kicks in you can have it zero your collective and cyclic, and take your throttle to idle. If you don't assign your swash plate servos like that, channel 6 (pitch) would only be able to hold the last known position, which may not be ideal Then again, if your heli is entering into fail-safe while in flight you may be SOL anyway...

2. You got everything plugged in but accidentally pluged, say your gov, into the wrong channel. Like the perfect person you are you wrap your receiver in foam, etc. and do not realize this error until it would be a pain to fix. Change the channeling mapping as needed to suit how you plugged stuff in.

-Farrell
Old 10-22-2009, 02:09 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

1. Good point. BTW fail safe is not for saving the helicopter, it's for saving the people around. Still that trick can be combined with my idea. 4 FHSS-1 receivers can be bound to the same Tx to different models without being confused. Every receiver should have the throttle on a different channel out of first 4. As cyclic controls are at central point or little bit below it normally, if you select a wrong model in Tx, it will connect throttle to one of the cyclic channels. So the receiver will refuse to bind because of high throttle. Not as reliable as safe link, but can be a poor man replacement for $49 receivers.

2. Probably you are right. I have too little experience and did not wrap receiver for my T-Rex 450 clone :-)
Old 10-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by askiba View Post
As cyclic controls are at central point or little bit below it normally, if you select a wrong model in Tx, it will connect throttle to one of the cyclic channels. So the receiver will refuse to bind because of high throttle.
Unfortunately that is not the case. The receiver does not care where any of your channels are at during power up.

It is the transmitter that refuses to transmit if your throttle stick is high, so the receiver has nothing to receive in that case. Changing your channel mapping will not work around that, because your transmitter still knows which stick controls throttle. Regardless of what channel you have mapped throttle to, the transmitter will begin transmitting once the throttle *stick* is low.

IF your models are electric, you can get away with that because the speed control will refuse to arm until it sees a low throttle signal. But if you fly glow or gasoline your servo will not care and just goes to the commanded position. Get ready for a hot start

On a side note, the throttle stick high warning can be disabled if desired. Go to SYSTEM > ALARM and toggle STICK ALARM to INH (inhibited)

-Farrell
Old 10-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sure, it's ESC doing the blocking here, not the receiver. So it's only for electric models, you are right.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #59 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

OK another new video added!

Setting up an auto starting stick timer!

Bob
Old 10-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bob- have a glitch, sez File does not exist please contact the systems administrator Randy
wrstew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in