Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > BeastX FBL System

BeastX FBL System BeastX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017, 01:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Spektrum AR7210BX on a 270CFX, can I...??

I have a couple specific questions about the Spektrum AR7210BX on a 270CFX

1) If you upgrade to this pro version do you still have the bailout feature?

2) Anyone know the cost in USD/CAD? Where exactly do you purchase the upgrade?

3) The trainer mode, can you adjust settings so that you can increase or decrease the amount that it allows the helicopter to bank?

4) Can the trainer mode be engaged/disengaged mid flight?

5) If I have trainer mode on 1 switch to put on/off can I simply put bailout on another switch for on/off... and if flying with trainer mode OFF I can still flip bailout ON to recover lost orientation?

The reason I'm asking is I've wanted to buy this helicopter for quite some time. I own a 230S which I enjoy flying in the first mode that controls the banked angles. I've also flown it in idleup 1/2 somewhat. I have a TRex 450 and 500 with Skookum 720BEs on them specifically so that I can engage self level and fly around them with the controled banking angles on and then flip it off when I want to fly around as a normal collective pitch without limitations. Of course with those because they are much bigger so I tend to put them up in the air much higher so I can still see them and get a little braver flying around in normal collective pitch.

I am probably what you would consider a low-end intermediate flyer. The reason I utilize the above a lot is I have a spinal cord injury so my finger dexterity and hand dexterity is somewhat impaired but I am able to do some basic sport flying with a collective pitch. I'm still working on getting my skills up to be a little more precise with that as well as getting the balls up to do some 3-D of which I've only attempted a little bit. But with my impaired dexterity I really enjoy the option to put it in a limited banking mode when my fingers aren't cooperating so that I can at least have some fun without worrying about turning it into a lawn dart.

If the 270 can be set up in a similar fashion I would like to get it and add it to my hanger so that I have something to go with the 230 that is a little more precise and capable when I go to a small park versus having to go to my clubs big flying field.

Obviously I asked these questions with the understanding that it's a much different helicopter than the 230, much more like my 450 and my 500. But that's the specific reason I'm inquiring about trainer mode configurable and still having the ability to have a bailout feature. Those features on the Skookums have saved my butt a few times on the 450 and the 500. Just not sure if the programming options are the same or not.

Thanks in advance for any replies
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2017, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
I have a couple specific questions about the Spektrum AR7210BX on a 270CFX

1) If you upgrade to this pro version do you still have the bailout feature?

2) Anyone know the cost in USD/CAD? Where exactly do you purchase the upgrade?

3) The trainer mode, can you adjust settings so that you can increase or decrease the amount that it allows the helicopter to bank?

4) Can the trainer mode be engaged/disengaged mid flight?

5) If I have trainer mode on 1 switch to put on/off can I simply put bailout on another switch for on/off... and if flying with trainer mode OFF I can still flip bailout ON to recover lost orientation?

The reason I'm asking is I've wanted to buy this helicopter for quite some time. I own a 230S which I enjoy flying in the first mode that controls the banked angles. I've also flown it in idleup 1/2 somewhat. I have a TRex 450 and 500 with Skookum 720BEs on them specifically so that I can engage self level and fly around them with the controled banking angles on and then flip it off when I want to fly around as a normal collective pitch without limitations. Of course with those because they are much bigger so I tend to put them up in the air much higher so I can still see them and get a little braver flying around in normal collective pitch.

I am probably what you would consider a low-end intermediate flyer. The reason I utilize the above a lot is I have a spinal cord injury so my finger dexterity and hand dexterity is somewhat impaired but I am able to do some basic sport flying with a collective pitch. I'm still working on getting my skills up to be a little more precise with that as well as getting the balls up to do some 3-D of which I've only attempted a little bit. But with my impaired dexterity I really enjoy the option to put it in a limited banking mode when my fingers aren't cooperating so that I can at least have some fun without worrying about turning it into a lawn dart.

If the 270 can be set up in a similar fashion I would like to get it and add it to my hanger so that I have something to go with the 230 that is a little more precise and capable when I go to a small park versus having to go to my clubs big flying field.

Obviously I asked these questions with the understanding that it's a much different helicopter than the 230, much more like my 450 and my 500. But that's the specific reason I'm inquiring about trainer mode configurable and still having the ability to have a bailout feature. Those features on the Skookums have saved my butt a few times on the 450 and the 500. Just not sure if the programming options are the same or not.

Thanks in advance for any replies
Answers:

1 - The firmware for the 270 CFX model is unique to Horizon Hobby. You have two options - either "upgrade" to the regular stock firmware and gain governor but lose bail-out, or upgrade to governor and bail-out firmware (Pro) for something like 79 Euros. I have three 270s and have updated one of them to stock firmware in order to run KST DS215MG servos. I will be updating another soon also to install KST servos. I never use bail-out, so losing it wasn't an issue to me.

2 - I believe you can purchase the upgrade through the BeastX StudioX application.

3, 4, 5 - Never used trainer mode. You should refer to the AR7210BX manual, available on-line. Google it for the download link.

The 270 CFX is an excellent heli in virtually all respects. However, like all Blade models, the stock cyclic servos (H3050) are mediocre. They'll last for sport flight and mild 3D, but they crumble under moderate-hard 3D. Also, the bearings on the stock motor are not great. I typically get 160-180 flights out of a motor until the bearings start squealing. However, I bang the sticks hard, which in turn stresses the motor more than sport/mild 3D fliers.

When the motor fails, I simply throw it in a USPS Priority Mail small flat-rate box and send it to Horizon. They'll usually replace it for free.

On my primary 270, I have over 700 flights total. On one of the back-ups I'm at 65 flights. The rest of the bird is solid and I beat the piss out of them.

Also take a look at the 360 CFX. Since the two-bladed version is discontinued, you can find them cheap on EBay and the classifieds. The AR7200BX that comes with them is not as advanced as the AR7210BX, but I put a ton of trouble-free flights on my 360 CFX prior to throwing an AR7210BX on it. The bird is really stable with either FBL unit and much more floaty than the 270 CFX.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in