Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > Heli-Max Helicopters

Heli-Max Helicopters Heli-Max Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Max Axe owner--have question re: tail motors

Hey all.

I picked up a Helimax Axe CP (original) a few weeks ago, and have been trying to get some flight time in, weather permitting. Been snowing and stuff.

I also picked up a HUGE box of misc parts and pieces on ebay for really cheap. I thought it would be a good idea to have a bunch of spares.

Well, the guy sent me spares, all right.

When it was all said and done, I've managed to put together (about 99%) three additional helicopters..two version 2, and one version 3, along with crystals and transmitters, couple bell hiller upgrades, lipo, chargers, the list just kept getting longer.

Anyway, here is the question I need help with:

The v3 needs a tail motor and motor mount.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to put on a dd motor, or set it up with gears like a v1.

I've read that the dd motor set-up burns out pretty quick.

I found a couple commutators and cases among all the parts, so I'm guessing the prior owner suffered some tail motor issues.

Is that true?

If so, I'm inclined to put a motor and gears on it. Will the V3 electronics drive that, anyone know?
PNWFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The dd tail on the cpv3 has one advantage, better electric tail response. However, the tail motors seem to burn out within a few months or less. The key is getting an efficient heatsink on the tail or buying a quality tail motor or both.

The motor is an n60 and if possible, upgrade the whole system to brushless for the main and tail and provide your own separate electronics. I was about to try this out myself and ended up selling the heli. In the futrue I may buy up some spares and build one nice cp out of the parts as you have, using all separate electronics and upgrading to a belt driven tail.

The n60 can be bought from helimax, tower branded equivalent and eflight seems to have the best n60 motor.

The v3 should handle the load with ease, since it was designed for the higher power dd tail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in