Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by andzman View Post
Is this ok? It looks like a great deal and is complete:

http://helidirect.com/walkera-v18g01...osc103_product
no! Don't get stuck with a walkera radio. you want spektrum... it binds to so many bind and fly models from horizon hobby.. and the majority use spektrum. Also walkera is low end.. at least stick with align. (JR and Futaba are the next most popular radios)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

It wont be extra electronics--just different from a flybarred heli--extra is the cost .I would suggest finding the heli you will want and then set it up--as there will be many choices.Depending on the size heli you go with. JMO---Walt
Old 05-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There really isnt anything extra that you need. On a flybarred heli you need a tail gyro. With a FBL machine the tail gyro is built into the unit.

As for a radio I would take a close look at the Airtronics SD10G. I went from the DX8 to the 10G and wish I would of done it sooner. As for the BNF stuff from horizon you can pick up a cheap DX6i for that stuff.

Take a look at the Compass Atom 500 from Nankin Hobby. Ive never seen a heli crash as well as a Compass does and a 500 is a really good size to learn with. Parts a inexpensive and readily available and the Heli flys great!!! By crash well I mean that you dont have to replace as many parts after a crash as you do with some other brands.

Stay away from torque tubes. Just added agrravation and crash costs.

Keep in mind that there are some things that youll need. Tools, Charger, ect.
dankcincy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A good option could be the Blade 450X. Comes with excellent FLB gyro (BeastX) and Spektrum radio. Very capable heli. Huge following.. parts at most local hobby shops...

$499 but I know you can find it cheaper.

http://helidirect.com/eflite-blade-4...er-p-25200.hdx
Old 05-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i would suggest a 500 or 550 size. we don't know how much you have to spend or what you can afford to crash.

the align 500 ESP was a awesome helicopter, now they have the 500 pro version, i would imagine that is still very good. the commpuss atom 500 is pretty awesome

or the gaui X5 is plain out killer for the money when buying the supercombo i really dont think you can get a better helicopter in that price range, i find the X5 FES supercombo to be the best bang for the buck and the best helicopter i have ever flown

the bigger they are the better they fly. and if your good with the SR and on the sim you will simply be delited with a 500 or 550 size helicopter, it might be a bit scarry moving up to something that big but once you get it in the air and see how good it flys and how much easier it is to fly i think the intimidation would wear off after a flight or two..

i was scared to death the first time i flew a 500 size but after 2 or 3 flights i was in love. after owning a SR and blade 400.

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
A good option could be the Blade 450X. Comes with excellent FLB gyro (BeastX) and Spektrum radio. Very capable heli. Huge following.. parts at most local hobby shops...

$499 but I know you can find it cheaper.

http://helidirect.com/eflite-blade-4...er-p-25200.hdx
The 450x is BNF only. He would still need a radio,
Old 05-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Oh sorry! Well.. 450X with a DX8!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The Blade 500x which hasnt been released yet would be a good option if it comes out soon.
My choices in order would be,
Compass Atom 500
Gaui X5
Blade 500X (when Released)
Trex 500
Blade 450X

The BeastX is a great unit so between that and parts availability I would go with the Blade 500X over a Trex 500 3G.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would say don't buy anything that you can't afford to fly you will crash sooner or later it's gonna happen so don't get anything that when and you put it in you can't afford to repair it I seen people go from a blade cp or a blade 400 to a trex 700 or 600 and only knowing how to hover and have it for a week and crash it then not have the money to repair it for 1,2or even 3 months all because the crash cost for a blade sr of 450 is no where near the cost to repair that size Heli so I say look a the cost to repair and look at how much you can spend on it because is no fun wating 2 months just to be able to fix a Heli trust me I know

FLYING EVERY CHANCE I GET

Last edited by blindpilot; 05-09-2012 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Spelling
blindpilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You actually need fewer electronics for flybarless. If you get a mini-vbar (Mikado vbar.. the most popular unit) you don't need a reciever.. but just two satellite recievers you plug into the mini-vbar.

The FBL unit is self contained.. you plug all servos and speed controller into it.
Vbar isn't the only one. Skookum also doesn't need a seperate receiver, just satellites. BeastX also has the AR7200BX with receiver and FBL in one unit.

Dogs come when called. Cats take a message and get back to you later.
Cailid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
no! Don't get stuck with a walkera radio. you want spektrum... it binds to so many bind and fly models from horizon hobby.. and the majority use spektrum. Also walkera is low end.. at least stick with align. (JR and Futaba are the next most popular radios)
You make it sound like Spektrum radios are the only ones that will bind to the BnF models.

JR will bind to them too since it uses DSMX as well.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry again.. yeah.. JR/Spektrum... good stuff.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailid View Post
You make it sound like Spektrum radios are the only ones that will bind to the BnF models.

JR will bind to them too since it uses DSMX as well.
Seems that the new JRs are DMSS not DSMX,
http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Radios-DMSS.aspx
Old 05-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankcincy View Post
Seems that the new JRs are DMSS not DSMX,
http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Radios-DMSS.aspx
They have both.
http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Radios-DSMX.aspx

And are the DMSS available in north america yet? They've only been available in Europe.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailid View Post
They have both.
http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Radios-DSMX.aspx

And are the DMSS available in north america yet? They've only been available in Europe.
But those arent the new ones that I was referring to. JR split from Spektrum and from here on out they will not be using the DSMX protocol.
When I clicked on where to buy and put in my zipcode it referred me to my local hobby shops so Im assuming so.

Edit: They are showing "Back Ordered" on horizions site so I guess we cant get them yet.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #36 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

What is wrong with this radio:

http://www.xheli.com/79p-th9x-r9b-9channel-radio.html

It looks like a super deal
andzman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Flysky? No one uses them (that I've ever heard of)... won't bind to anything other than Flysky recievers... no doubt low quality sticks (no bearings).. junk.. buy cheap buy twice. Really.. the radio is the foundation of your hobby.. don't skimp there. And I doubt it will work with any simulator.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Whats wrong with it is that its not proven. You have to keep in mind what youll be using it for.
Youre going to have a machine in the air thats swinging dull lawnmower blades at very high speeds. The last thing that you want is to lose control of it and it come back and hit you or worse yet hit someone else. These things can do ALOT of damage!!!

You need to go with a proven radio system that others will be able to help you with for your first radio.
You need atleast a 6ch. check this one out,
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...o-w-rx600.html
Old 05-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the Trex 500 is the perfect size bird to learn on.. Operating cost, parts cost, fly in smaller fields, 7 min flight on cheap 3000 mah pack, looks big in the sky but still small enough to pack around easily, built like a tank, can be fast and nimble while staying very stable, flys well in heavy winds, ect, ect.... Have fun!
Hoghunter7mm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My goodness, if you can fly your SR with that POS stock Tx that comes with it, get a real good Tx in your hands. Years ago I bought a DX6i, all I could afford, made all the difference in the world. A good TX is just as important as a good heli, IMHO.

EXI 450 Beater / 450 EC-135 / 450 OH-58 Kiowa / 450 MD 500 / EXI 450 AH-6 Little Bird / EXI 500 (the flying woodchipper!) / HK500GT UH-1E Huey / EXI 500 EC-135/ Love the scale!
dfgipe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in