Dual PowerLab 8 & Single PowerLab 8 Charging Pauses? - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > FMA/Revolectrix Product Support

FMA/Revolectrix Product Support FMA/Revolectrix Factory Product Support

Old 03-02-2017, 09:48 PM   #1
3D Dave
Registered Users

Default Dual PowerLab 8 & Single PowerLab 8 Charging Pauses?

I have a question about charging pause intervals.

Can someone tell me if the DPL8 or PL8 pause a charge at regular intervals (i.e. 60 seconds) to take readings of the pack/cells being charged?

The reason I need to know is that it will decide how I program my 6s 5000mAh pack pairs bump tags for charging.

The issue is I charge in the field with a 1000W generator and if both sides of a dual channel charger ramp up too fast (when I'm charging near the limit of the generator), the generator stalls.

My workaround with my older Super Duo (if I'm charging at 12A per side or higher) is to stagger each channel charging by starting channel B about 25 seconds after channel A. This charger then stops and restarts each channel every 60 seconds but B does it 30 seconds behind A, so the load on the generator isn't as high.

I've not looked/monitored close enough to see if the DPL8 and PL8 cycle every 60 seconds like this, or do they NOT cycle current up and down throughout the charge?

-Dave
Old 03-02-2017, 10:12 PM   #2
Ace Dude
Registered Users

The PowerLabs check the voltage of the pack being charged several times a second. They do not pause the way you describe your Hyperion charger pausing.

The recommended procedure to not overload and shutdown your generator when using you PowerLab is to specify the max current limit in the supply tab in the CSS software. This way the charger will not pull enough current to shutdown your generator. You would need to do this for each side on the Dual PowerLab.

There was some talk of having the Bump manage max power consumption of multiple PowerLabs, but I don't know what the status of that feature is. That would really be the best option if/when implemented.

You can use a Kill-A-Watt to monitor when the generator shuts down and you'll want to plan some contingency to prevent future shutdowns.
Ace Dude is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:18 PM   #3
RevoKelly
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dude View Post
There was some talk of having the Bump manage max power consumption of multiple PowerLabs, but I don't know what the status of that feature is. That would really be the best option if/when implemented.
That is planned for summer 2017.
RevoKelly is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #4
Ace Dude
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoKelly View Post
That is planned for summer 2017.
Thanks for the update Kelly.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #5
3D Dave
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok, thanks Ace & Kelly.

If there's really no current reduction during charging, the only time I might see a current draw surge from the generator would be during initial starting of the charges.

Unlike most other chargers, the Powerlabs seem to ramp up slowly though, which should keep the generator happy.

If that is the case, I'm assuming it would be fine if I still use (1) bump tag for both packs (they are mounted on Logo 700 trays) just to simplify charging now.

I do plan on using the 6s packs individually if I ever crash one... but at that point I'd just do a new bump tag and manually add the approximate # of previous charge cycles during programming.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:14 PM   #6
Ace Dude
Registered Users

The charge current will be reduced when the CV phase is entered.

It's really a personal choice when it comes to using one or two BUMP tags.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:28 PM   #7
3D Dave
Registered Users

Yes, that's what I thought.

Thanks for pointing out that I had to enter the max current limit for each side of the DPL.

I didn't catch that at first (see CCS note in green) so thinking that setting was copied, didn't set both channels.

I'll play around with the current this spring and see how high I can go before my generator chokes. I'm sure I'm getting close at 26A total but since the PoweLabs don't have current draw spikes like the Hyperions do, I might have a little more headroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual PowerLab (CCS Screenshot).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	697065  
Old 03-03-2017, 10:52 PM   #8
Ace Dude
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Dave View Post
Yes, that's what I thought.

Thanks for pointing out that I had to enter the max current limit for each side of the DPL.

I didn't catch that at first (see CCS note in green) so thinking that setting was copied, didn't set both channels.

I'll play around with the current this spring and see how high I can go before my generator chokes. I'm sure I'm getting close at 26A total but since the PoweLabs don't have current draw spikes like the Hyperions do, I might have a little more headroom.
Are you using expansion channel mode? See the drop down on bottom right of the screen capture?

IIRC, when I last tested with my Kill-A-Watt connected to my EU2000i on my DPL8x2 w/1500W 48v power supply charging two 4400mAh packs (one on each channel) at 3C (13.2A) or 26.4A total charger output and peak current draw pulled from the generator was ~760-780W. The Kill-A-Watt is very helpful since it will measure any overhead from the power supply as well as the charger. It's small, but it's there.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #9
3D Dave
Registered Users

Quote:
Are you using expansion channel mode? See the drop down on bottom right of the screen capture?
clip
I didn't think to check that. I bought my DPL and bump at the same time and have just used the original DPL settings until now.

I figured the DPL setting would automatically get changed if the bump was connected and used.

If I'm using the DPL with the bump 100% of the time, do I need to change that expansion channel setting manually in the CCS?

Also, I have a Kill-A-Watt too as I wanted to test the current draw several years ago when I was lugging a Yamaha EF2000iS instead of the 1000.

PS is the Meanwell RSP-2000-24

I will do some more testing soon with the new DPL & bump to see where I'm at.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:03 PM   #10
3D Dave
Registered Users

So I checked the settings again.

There is no other option to select besides "No Expansion Ch. "
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DPL CCS Screenshot 3:5:2017.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	697336  
Old 03-06-2017, 10:00 AM   #11
RevoKelly
Registered Users

Quote:
I didn't think to check that. I bought my DPL and bump at the same time and have just used the original DPL settings until now.

I figured the DPL setting would automatically get changed if the bump was connected and used.

If I'm using the DPL with the bump 100% of the time, do I need to change that expansion channel setting manually in the CCS?

Also, I have a Kill-A-Watt too as I wanted to test the current draw several years ago when I was lugging a Yamaha EF2000iS instead of the 1000.

PS is the Meanwell RSP-2000-24

I will do some more testing soon with the new DPL & bump to see where I'm at.
You are correct - if you're using Bump (v3.x) with the DPL, then Bump will take complete control over the DPL settings, so it's pointless to use the PowerLab CCS software to make settings changes on the DPL because Bump will overwrite them as soon as it reconnects.

So all power supply changes should be done on the Bump and it will update options as needed in the DPL.

Only config change you would make at the DPL is to switch to the appropriate expansion channel address so that Bump can talk to it - everything else is managed by the Bump.
RevoKelly is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:42 PM   #12
3D Dave
Registered Users

Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm 99.999% sure I configured the DPL directly with the appropriate expansion channel setting when I first set them up.

It was a while ago, but I don't think my Bump & DPL would be working fine on both channels if I failed to set something correctly.

The Bump seems to operate just fine.

Now, I can't wait for the iOS app.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:08 PM   #13
Ace Dude
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm 99.999% sure I configured the DPL directly with the appropriate expansion channel setting when I first set them up.

It was a while ago, but I don't think my Bump & DPL would be working fine on both channels if I failed to set something correctly.

The Bump seems to operate just fine.

Now, I can't wait for the iOS app.
Some settings depend on whether or not you're using the BUMP. The charger was around for several years before the BUMP was released and can be used with or without the BUMP.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #14
3D Dave
Registered Users

Yes, thanks Ace.

I've had my PL8 since the first shipment in 2010. I was probably the first one (or one of the first) to ask for a dual version. It just took 5 years

I didn't think I'd wait this long for the DPL but I also had a Super Duo 720 so it just wasn't necessary.

Now, with the release of the Bump, I will probably never use the DPL without it.

Quote:
Some settings depend on whether or not you're using the BUMP. The charger was around for several years before the BUMP was released and can be used with or without the BUMP.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:45 PM   #15
Ace Dude
Registered Users

I had two PL8s' (v1) from the first batch in 2010. I got a DPL 8x2 in 2013 and sold both of my PL8s' at that time. Like the 48v input and the DPL 8x2 is physically smaller than two PL8s' so it fits my case better.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #16
KevinB
Registered Users

Quote:
and the DPL 8x2 is physically smaller than two PL8s' so it fits my case better
That's the same reason I went with DPLs. Four PL8s wouldn't fit in the case size I was trying to stay within (and still allow for good airflow).
Two DLPs fit perfect....along with a 2000W 48V Meanwell.
Four 6s5000 packs charging at 3C top out at around a 1750W total draw according to the BUMP controller. If you look on the Power Supply tab while charging, the BUMP will show the total Watt draw for all channels, as well as how much that particular channel is pulling. I usually charge at 2C, but it's nice to know it can do it when needed.

KevinB
KevinB is offline        Reply With Quote