Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2015, 08:14 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run Kontronik Jives on most everything, Jive 120 HV or Jive 100 LV. Other than my Protos 500 I run a YGE 90LV and it has been awesome as well. I use the internal BECs on all my ESCs. A buffer pack or a opti guard. I hook up the buffer with a Y cable and two power cables from the ESC, slave and master. My Logo 550SE runs on the Kontronik 100 LV with heat sink. Runs cool. Awesome ESC.
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2015, 11:06 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2evl View Post
If you are going to run a governor of one of your favorite fbl units, there is no need to pay big money for a kontronik. Yes, it has a built in bec, but any of the castle edge series would be great because they have the built in rpm sensor. Run a bec or a small receiver pack and your good to go. Its a very good budget option in my opinion.

Dont forget active free wheeling. Jive is more than just a good BEC.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:27 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

I put a YEP 120 (6S) in my 550 SX yet. Haven't flown it yet. The Yep 100 BEC was not up to the task at all (Rx off after 3 seconds of wiggling the collective on the bench with no load), the 120 seems to be better, still wouldn't run it without buffer caps. The YGE 120 LV "Mikado Edition" has a capacitor, but the current V2 musn't be used with additional buffer caps (just like the Kontroniks) unless you add some extra electronics. So the YEP was my only option, being a clone of an older YGE unit. It's small and light, just oddly shaped.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:43 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbar View Post
I put a YEP 120 (6S) in my 550 SX yet. Haven't flown it yet. The Yep 100 BEC was not up to the task at all (Rx off after 3 seconds of wiggling the collective on the bench with no load), the 120 seems to be better, still wouldn't run it without buffer caps. The YGE 120 LV "Mikado Edition" has a capacitor, but the current V2 musn't be used with additional buffer caps (just like the Kontroniks) unless you add some extra electronics. So the YEP was my only option, being a clone of an older YGE unit. It's small and light, just oddly shaped.
A friend of mine has the YEP 120lv but he never used the internal bec, he added a CC bec pro.
Curious to see if it holds up for you.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default YEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbar View Post

YEP
SORRY thats a no go for me .

matt blaisdell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertico View Post
Dont forget active free wheeling. Jive is more than just a good BEC.
Why would you need AFW if your using the gov in the fbl? The castle at that point is just a capacitor in the most basic form.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:38 AM   #47 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
Why would you need AFW if your using the gov in the fbl? The castle at that point is just a capacitor in the most basic form.
AFW gives you more efficiency and a lower PWM allowed without blowing up the ESC. This allows more variation of rpm on a single pinion. This is pretty much independent of the governor. The governor being in the FBL just allows it to be slightly more preemptive based on knowing cyclic and collective inputs as they go to the servos as opposed to just after the hit to the motor's rpm. Not sure about the capacitor comment.
Raptorapture is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #48 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoE View Post
Good luck with the YGE120 LV. I had a YGE120 and it smoked on me in flight, and burnt up all my electronics, I checked the voltage coming out of the BEC after that and it was the full 25 volts. I do not trust that BEC enough to throw it. This is why I really like the Hobbywing and their electronics burn proof circuitry idea. It will be interesting to hear if their design really prevents the damage to electronics like they say it does. I make it a rule now to never run a internal BEC(even the German made stuff), but if they have an internal BEC that won't damage your electronics then I could make the exception, then just run a optiguard backup pack in case the BEC fails.
The same people that do the Optiguard have a created a device protecting the electronics from a runaway BEC voltage. Even external BEC's could suffer the same fate if not using 2 or 3S.
Raptorapture is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2015, 11:42 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorapture View Post
The same people that do the Optiguard have a created a device protecting the electronics from a runaway BEC voltage. Even external BEC's could suffer the same fate if not using 2 or 3S.
Yeah, I like the fact that Optiguard tackled this option. Here's the thing though, now that Hobbywing has put the protection into the BEC, that's now the baseline. No manufacture should market a BEC without protection of the users electronics in mind. We have seen from Hobbywing, it's very cheap to implement this protection so why shouldn't it be in every BEC. I hope other manufactures adopt this design. As for the Optiguard option, well it's very nice, but it's a bit expensive and it's an added item in the mix of the heli that you have to deal with, route, and install. This should be part of the internals of every BEC.
RedJoE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Which ESC to get for my Logo 550 SX

Quote:

You assume i am using gov in fbl, when it is obvious that i do not.
AFW is great for low headspeeds and longer flight times. That plus the Kon gov is excellent gives me no reason to run fbl gov.

Also, unless you are talking vcontrol fbl gov, i like being able to adjust my gov on the fly at the tx by changing throttle percentage as opposed to landing, plugging my usb into fbl and adjusting from there. I have been there done that w ikon and mini vbar
Old 06-17-2015, 01:31 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

The vbar governor headspeed is set by throttle curves
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2015, 01:49 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtyndall View Post
The vbar governor headspeed is set by throttle curves
I think he was referring to other internal governors (like CC) which are configured in the ESC.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:14 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

More specifically, with FBL yes the throttle % controls the set RPM however you are limited to those RPM's that you have preprogrammed into your FBL.

Using Kontronik or YGE Gov's you can on the fly access a wide variety of RPM's simply by changing the throttle % on your TX.
Ex 90% throttle on my 550 is like 2500, 85% 2300, 68% 1700rpm 54% 1300RPM and so on.
My point is it is adjustable on the fly to any RPM my heli/ESC/motor combination can achieve simply by adjusting the throttle % value.

As opposed to the 4 RPM's that a FBL has programmed that you would have to use a USB / bluetooth to edit the RPM values.

The exception to this is if running a vcontrol you can change your RPM on the fly using vbar fbl gov ;-) but no active freewheeling.
I run vcontrol w Jive which gives me full ability to make any adjustments to FBL and use throttle % to change jive gov and have active freewheeling to boot.
IMO it is the best setup on every level.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

I set my vbar gov max headspeed to the highest value that my motor/pinion combo can give.

There isn't 4 preset speeds or anything, and I use spektrum. In fact I COULD change the rpm in flight if I wanted to go in and try to scroll around in the throttle curve menu. Just like your Kontronic

The only fbl I know of that is like you mentioned "preset in the fbl unit" is Brain/Ikon
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2015, 04:36 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtyndall View Post
I set my vbar gov max headspeed to the highest value that my motor/pinion combo can give.

There isn't 4 preset speeds or anything, and I use spektrum. In fact I COULD change the rpm in flight if I wanted to go in and try to scroll around in the throttle curve menu. Just like your Kontronic

The only fbl I know of that is like you mentioned "preset in the fbl unit" is Brain/Ikon

I see you, are correct, that is a brain/ikon thing.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:43 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertico View Post
I see you, are correct, that is a brain/ikon thing.
Castle does it the same way. You assign three preset headspeeds at fixed throttle percentages.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:05 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Vbar also you can set a max head speed and adjust throttle percentage to anything in between from your radio.

Vertico, none of my comments were directed directly toward you. I was simply responding to the topic at hand and mentioned AFW in my response.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:01 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Which ESC to get for my Logo 550 SX

No worries way2evl, i just like discussing ;-)

I have used a wide variety of esc's, fbl's and motors on many different brand helis. There are pro's a cons to each.

I will also say i dont think the "perfect" esc exists. At least not with all of the features i want in a single unit.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:22 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I personally know of at least 3 YGE LV escs that have fried everything but the vbar on people's helis when they died. So, if you want to run one, I highly recommend putting some sort of electronics between the BEC output and your vbar for some insurance. I believe Opti-power makes such a device.

On the other hand, my vote is for the Jeti Mezon 160lv. Since all the Mezons are basically the same size (the 120lv just has half the FETs on the power pcb) I tend to go for the highest rated versions. However, given the size of this esc, you will have to fit it very carefully so the canopy will fit over it.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Makes me want to run the BEC Guard on my BEC lines to the FBL system but I would have to run two per Helicopter. They are $40.00 each so $80.00 per Heli.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in