Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Thunder Tiger GT5 FBL System

Thunder Tiger GT5 FBL System Thunder Tiger GT5 Flybarless Electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

lol - I think everyone that owns one or even looked at a pic of it???

Why? I don't understand? What's the issue?
DX7 Mode-1 | 450 pro 6s | 450 pro | Schweizer 300C Gasser Scale | T-Rex550e | Aeolus 50 | HeliX T-Rex700 fbl Gasser | HWC600 Gasser | Henseleit MPXLe | Henseleit 3DNT | Suzi-Janis 700 | Gaui NX4 | Gaui X5 | Blade 350QX
jockstrap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default "Designed by Germans".

I just thought it was funny. Chinglish at its best. On the serious side this thing looks pretty cool. Can't wait to try it.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:29 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default on Trex 700 nitro

Hi,

Anyone try mounting this fbl system on a Trex 700 nitro? Need suggestion for mounting it. I am assuming we have to face the touch pad forward or back on the front heli gyro mount. But on the Trex 700n, if facing the touch pad forward, the servo wires will be cramped under the aileron servos. If facing it backward then the touchpad can not be access because of the frame support. Anyone mounting it on its side?

THanks
rundown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just received mine today.
Very easy to setup once you get the hang of the double touch..

Has anyone mounted it on its side?
This will work best for me with the X5 as I will be able to see the screen side on. Im a little worried it might not be secure enough will just the narrow portion of the gyro stuck down.. Could I use a velcro strap to go around it?
Geffect is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 06:27 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

@Geffect - I have...

Well - you may or may not know - I put my heli in when testing my GT5 as the tail blew out when doing a half attempt rainbow

Well - I, finally got to give my heli another go after rebuilding her...

Heli: tarot pro 6S, scorp 1630kv motor, align t-rex500 60A esc, 325mm align blades, HXT900 analog cyclics, HK15158A tail servo - GT5 + 1 spektrum sat

Seems my tail holding issues were low gain and possibly mounting tape related..

Now that i'm running up at 85% (prev 60-70%) all seems to be good again.. cyclic on 85% as well now..

Had a few flights yesterday tinkering with gains (P and I) and "dynamics" settings.. Now flying much better - tail holding in rainbows..

only issues still are that the esc doesn't see throttle properly from 0-100% - I need throttle hold at -4% otherwise the motor will slowly spin still when landing and throttle stick at 0%. I also increase throttle max to 105% and seems to have given me a little extra power so I need to try find how to set throttle esc range with this gyro.. also, I need to adjust pitch range as even with 100% on swash level it doesn't seem to be enough - had to increase pitch endpoint in my TX to 110% to get a bit of punch out of the heli.

Overall now - flying 95% as well as what the beastx was before connecting the GT5... a little extra tweaking will probably see it the same..

One thing over the beastx is that on a straight forward "fly-past" the heli stays really level and flat much like my vbar does.. I noticed the subtle nice difference in long straight runs when i got my vbar the other week and the gt5 seems to behave the same

Here is a pic of it mounted sideways on my heli for testing.. I simply unplugged the wires from the beastx into the gt5 for testing.

it likes very firm mounting tape.. that may have been part of my early crash probs as well. I used cheaper harder tape this time and it's working a lot better - lol

At one stage I removed and remounted with the same tape and with the added "slop" in the tape from reusing it meant the tail was all over the place and wagging like crazy - so it looks like firm tape is a must for the gt5 - at least on low vibe electrics..

Beastx vs GT5 - hmm hard to choose so far but beastx would suit 1st time fbl better as easier to setup for a newbie.. seems GT5 (especially from seeing Dave's Raptor G4 fly) may suit smack 3D better when setup correctly.. either way, may boil down to personal choice once again, but the GT5 definitely has the goods for the price!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsc01740.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	263296  
DX7 Mode-1 | 450 pro 6s | 450 pro | Schweizer 300C Gasser Scale | T-Rex550e | Aeolus 50 | HeliX T-Rex700 fbl Gasser | HWC600 Gasser | Henseleit MPXLe | Henseleit 3DNT | Suzi-Janis 700 | Gaui NX4 | Gaui X5 | Blade 350QX
Old 10-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice little review, keep em coming guys, I'm getting closer to finishing my Srimok 90e and the GT5 looks like the weapon of choice.
seemore74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jockstrap, thanks for the write up..

I ended up mounting it flat as it just looked strange and insecure standing up on the X5.

I had hoped to give it a fly today but the weather is horrible, rain and high winds.. So fingers crossed for tomorrow..
Geffect is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euwan View Post
Mine flew fine also after testing it however I am not sure about how to set 6deg of pitch on it as stated in the manual just keeps the same reading on my pitch gauge
This is the same problem that I am having. How do I set the 6 degrees of pitch?
J-S-Q is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

You have to do it on the travel settings either on tx or unit itself
Euwan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rundown,

I have just mounted mine in my trex700n. I have it with the wires running back under the elevator servo. There is room between the elev and ail servos, plus it makes for a very tidy layout. I am hoping to maiden this weekend, so far all the setup has been pretty straight forward if you just follow the instructions. Please remember I am by no means an fbl expert, in fact this is my first fbl unit. I am getting a mate to check it over before the maiden but in terms of the swash plate reacting to heli movements everything seems to working according to the manual.
nightrider is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 02:59 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks nightrider,

I ended up doing the same. I maiden it this weekend. So far so good but I need to tweak the cyclic response. It works very well for a small unit on a big 90 nitro with all the vibration. So far I increased the ATV on aileron and elevator. A little more responsive. I am at 8 degree cyclic right now. Testing it again this weekend.

Anyone have any suggestion on increasing the cyclic without increasing the ATV too much?

Thanks
rundown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 04:00 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You have to do it on the travel settings either on tx or unit itself
Do you mean this parameter:

That means I am adjusting the travel range of all three servos independently which seems like a bit of a strange way to do it? It also means that I am adjusting the cyclic range AND collective range at the same time so if I reduce the 3 servo travels so that the cyclic is correct, I will then have to go and adjust another parameter somewhere else in order to boost the collective range back up.

Or are you talking about a different place that I can adjust the travel?

The manual seems poorly written and leaves you slightly guessing at the correct way to do things!
Old 11-02-2011, 04:41 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

you can also increase/decrease swash travel for elev/ail in step 13 in the manual..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	step13.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	264247  
Old 11-02-2011, 04:53 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockstrap View Post
you can also increase/decrease swash travel for elev/ail in step 13 in the manual..
Well yes, that's what it seems to suggest in the manual but when I adjust the Elevator and Aileron in the Swash menu (which is what is referenced in Step 12) it makes no difference to the cyclic pitch range. Elsewhere in the manual, it seems to suggest that these swash parameters are to control the level of cyclic response/agility so I'm a bit confused here:

Old 11-02-2011, 05:01 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

yea - sorry I was a bit too quick and didn't see the earlier problem..

I too had problems setting cyclic angle .. forget the above.. sorry..

I'm going to try endpoints too as so far i've jsut been winging it on the cyclic adjustment I posted..
Old 11-02-2011, 05:06 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockstrap View Post
yea - sorry I was a bit too quick and didn't see the earlier problem..

I too had problems setting cyclic angle .. forget the above.. sorry..

I'm going to try endpoints too as so far i've jsut been winging it on the cyclic adjustment I posted..
What heli are you using it on? (Mine is on a TRex 500EFL which I am nearly finished building)
Old 11-02-2011, 07:58 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

@ J-S-Q what I did since the manual said you could use dual rates, I just used the travel adjust settings in my dx8 to set the 6 degrees. This did not affect anything else apart from the 6 degrees in the cyclic.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
@ J-S-Q what I did since the manual said you could use dual rates, I just used the travel adjust settings in my dx8 to set the 6 degrees. This did not affect anything else apart from the 6 degrees in the cyclic.
Ok thanks Euwan. I've now set up the 6 degrees using the servo travel adjust on the advice of someone in the Henseleit forum. Still seems like a bit of a strange way to do it because you have to adjust 3 servo travel parameters and then go and re-adjust your collective pitch range to compensate for the change (why not just have two 'swash mix' parameters for Elevator and Aileron?) but apparently it should work. I'm going to test fly at some point in the next few days so fingers crossed.

A bit of clarification on the setup procedure from Thunder Tiger would certainly be useful. They have produced several glossy looking videos but all they seem to cover is how to attach the gyro to the heli with a sticky pad and how to plug the servo leads in. lol. Thanks Thunder Tiger.

Anyway, I will update this thread with the results of my test flying. Let's hope this shiny new heli comes home in one piece!
Old 11-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lol, it is a very nice system and as said before I like it much better than the mini vbar. So much more that I now own 3 of them. If your using it on a 450 machine I found that turning up the gains to around 85% really helps and keeps the helicopter locked.

My 450 felt so smooth with these settings and I could not believe how good it felt to fly.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:25 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

@JSQ - I'm testing it on a tarot 450 pro..

See my prev post #25

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in