Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > Protos 500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Dusted off the old 500..........

Well its been a long time since I have been able to fly so its ben just sitting there. I finally got some better batteries and decide to take the heli out for several flights. Still flies really well, one of my favorite helis considering its size. I have the plastic version which I converted to FBL with beast x.

I have not been on the forums much neither so I am trying to catch up to what's ben going on. Looks like not much in this section. What are decent blades for doing sport to mild 3d stuff these days?

Mahalo,

Les
MolokaiBoy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2017, 02:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been flying mine a bit more recently as well - love it!!! I'm also a sports flyer and I use the Blue CF align 425s
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2017, 02:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolokaiBoy View Post
Well its been a long time since I have been able to fly so its ben just sitting there. I finally got some better batteries and decide to take the heli out for several flights. Still flies really well, one of my favorite helis considering its size. I have the plastic version which I converted to FBL with beast x.

I have not been on the forums much neither so I am trying to catch up to what's ben going on. Looks like not much in this section. What are decent blades for doing sport to mild 3d stuff these days?

Mahalo,

Les
Im you got the stretch boom:
Zeal 480's together with KBDD tails and the 18t pulley work really well for me. It's a lot more floaty with those.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I've been flying mine a bit more recently as well - love it!!! I'm also a sports flyer and I use the Blue CF align 425s
Those are my favorite blades as well.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just finished building my Protos and had the first spool up and hover yesterday. I am running the 480 mm RotorTech Blades. It was amazing, the blades hardly seemed to spin and the heli already lifted off the ground!
Hobee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Low Head Speed

I can select low head speed using a throttle hold without throttle cut mix on my Jive 60 to get around 1150-1200 rpm head speed. Circuits and sport flight is not a problem. Very quiet as well.

This was my sissy training wheels mode for autorotation training. Throttle is set around 27% output in hold. The Jive doesn't complain. Although once I got the hang of autorotation timing, I should disable this function and man up... i.e. NO Bail-Out. 100% committal.

If you're not already familiar with the older Jive 60's... they do not have a bail-out function... so when the throttle drops below 15% the ESC shuts down completely and has a slow spool-up when the throttle percentage exceeds 25%. Throttle cut is set for 0% and mixed to a separate switch that requires two separate switches to be in a "run" or start-up position that will start the ESC.

So the Low Head Speed mode was an accidental discovery on my part. But now is an enjoyable flying experience. Haven't tried to fly it longer than a couple minutes, so I don't know what the benefits might be in terms of extended flight times yet.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Blade Size

So what is the longest main blades that can be used on a stock non stretch 500?

Les
Old 01-26-2017, 07:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So what is the longest main blades that can be used on a stock non stretch 500?

Les
430's.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks babyuh1.

I guess since I've got a stock and a stretch I will see which I like better and stick with that one and get rid of the other.

Mahalo,

Les
Old 01-30-2017, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

hmm. i pulled mine off the shelf after sitting for almost 2 years it seems . i grabbed some batts and up it went as if it was yesterday. i forgot how quiet it was.

TitaniumFreak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2017, 09:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Mahalo,

Les
Check out the new IKON/Brain V2 FBL unit. That makes your Protos NEW.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Check out the new IKON/Brain V2 FBL unit. That makes your Protos NEW.
hahaha that is so true!!
Old 02-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a plastic and a stretch P500. Preferred the stretch with 465mm SAB mains, more float and collective punch than 430's but just as agile.

430 Zeals flew well but made the main bearings chirp despite weight and cog matching perfectly

Also tried some Switch 423mm which were extremely stable and smooth perfect for sport flying but were horrible for 3d. Slowed the flip/roll rates down so much that they were still excruciatingly slow with the control rates cranked up ridiculously high in the fbl controller.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumFreak View Post
hmm. i pulled mine off the shelf after sitting for almost 2 years it seems . i grabbed some batts and up it went as if it was yesterday. i forgot how quiet it was.
I thought it is quiet too. I maidened my T-Rex 700X two weeks ago. It is fully mechanical with torque tube. The Protos 500 with 480'S Zeals is loud compared to it. That puts quite some things into perspective.

That being said the 500 is a lot quieter than my 450's and definatly not loud.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man I miss my 500 and that heavy duty main shaft. I should have never sold it that was the only heli I ever had that I never check just flew the hell out of it. I hope my new 380 gets to that point only 25 flights on her .
Old 03-31-2017, 01:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hehe yeah that mainshaft is great. That thing wont bend easily. Funny that one of the lightest helis of its class ahs such a fat shaft.
I fly mine a lot and don't plann on giving it away untill I crashed it beyond repair. Eventhough it is an ancient design by comparison it does fly surprisingly well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in