Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spartan RC > Spartan Vortex

Spartan Vortex Spartan RC - Vortex VX1 Factory Support Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
You also have to set up your throttle curves the traditional way. For instance, these are the curves I'm using:

N: 0-70-70-70-70
1: 90-85-80-85-90
2: 100-95-90-95-100
So why not just put 100-100-100-100-100 to all modes?
njs77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok I'm stuck , how do you select electric governor type , I've been going thro' the setup and looked everywhere on the datapod but can't find where to select electric gov

Quote:
In setup select the electric governor type and set the throttle curves exactly the same way you would do with a nitro.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Setup->Throttle
Then
Servo Type - ESC
Governor Type - Elec
etc.
Vovets is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovets View Post
Setup->Throttle
Then
Servo Type - ESC
Governor Type - Elec
etc.
thanks found it
Old 12-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #65 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs77 View Post
So why not just put 100-100-100-100-100 to all modes?
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?p=6224736

Check posts 9 and 13 also.

Sent via phone
Old 12-04-2014, 11:45 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ok, so for example 100-75-100 to all modes is fine.
njs77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2014, 12:22 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Alright guys. I will explain the requirement for curves in an electric goveror.

A standard Governor used a flat curve, which we are all used to by now. The throttle percentage selects a headspeed and its all business from there. As load is increased the gov detects it and feed throttle as required.

The spartan gov will work in the same manner except a head speed is seleced in the datapod by flight mode. The Vortex gov uses a feed forward which feeds your throttle signal through to help maintain RPM. This type of system is called a preemptive governor. Using a flat throttle curve would make it a reactive governor. There is no way for other governors to detect when a load is coming. The Vortex reads your V throttle curve and detects thats its raising. This also corresponds with more pitch so the governor will already have increasing throttle before it detects rpm changes, this is the feed forward. The V curve can only help the governor performance, not hurt it. So in a sense your V curve feeds throttle through the governor and will help how hard it has to work after the load is applied.

Think about it like this, is it harder to lift a weight that is falling down or already moving upward? Now I know some people are very very technical and yes you can load the head without using pitch but this is as close as we are going to come to a preemptive goveror right now.

Spartan Vortex, Scorpion Motors, ExperienceRC Batteries, OMG Servos
FrSky Taranis
DaveHolland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2014, 02:19 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHolland View Post

A standard Governor used a flat curve, which we are all used to by now. The throttle percentage selects a headspeed and its all business from there. As load is increased the gov detects it and feed throttle as required.

The spartan gov will work in the same manner except a head speed is seleced in the datapod by flight mode. The Vortex gov uses a feed forward which feeds your throttle signal through to help maintain RPM. This type of system is called a preemptive governor. Using a flat throttle curve would make it a reactive governor. There is no way for other governors to detect when a load is coming. The Vortex reads your V throttle curve and detects thats its raising. This also corresponds with more pitch so the governor will already have increasing throttle before it detects rpm changes, this is the feed forward. The V curve can only help the governor performance, not hurt it. So in a sense your V curve feeds throttle through the governor and will help how hard it has to work after the load is applied.

Think about it like this, is it harder to lift a weight that is falling down or already moving upward? Now I know some people are very very technical and yes you can load the head without using pitch but this is as close as we are going to come to a preemptive goveror right now.
Dave great post, and well explained, I have been following this thread to see if I could get a good grasp on this method, I get that clearly now, thank you.

Trex 250 DFC with Vx1n, Trex 500 DFC with Brain
Emax 250 with CC3d, X4, Dx8 and iCharger 3010b
Slobberdog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2014, 04:16 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I assume we are only talking about a pitch to throttle mix here.
How about also including a cyclic to throttle mix?
Old 12-05-2014, 05:10 AM   #70 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Its already there.

http://www.spartan-rc.com/products/v...&tier=1&item=9

Sent via phone
Old 12-05-2014, 05:14 AM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

However what I don't understand is why isn't the FBL unit looking at the pitch changes of the system. Since the FBL unit knows when you are up-side down and when it goes to load the disc. for example if you're straight in the air and go down you don't want to ramp up the motor. Because you don't want when you go down that it applies extra throttle when it needs to reduce it. Or is the v-curve only used how much throttle it would input on the motor. Because than basically the curve could be seen as the feed-forward gain. But maybe I'm just wrong.
MrEmail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2014, 05:18 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Great!
Old 12-05-2014, 05:58 AM   #73 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEmail View Post
However what I don't understand is why isn't the FBL unit looking at the pitch changes of the system. Since the FBL unit knows when you are up-side down and when it goes to load the disc. for example if you're straight in the air and go down you don't want to ramp up the motor. Because you don't want when you go down that it applies extra throttle when it needs to reduce it. Or is the v-curve only used how much throttle it would input on the motor. Because than basically the curve could be seen as the feed-forward gain. But maybe I'm just wrong.
As Angelos has stated, if the gov determines that the influence of the throttle curve is not helping, it takes over and controls the head speed. This is something that happens in a few milliseconds I'm sure.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
As Angelos has stated, if the gov determines that the influence of the throttle curve is not helping, it takes over and controls the head speed. This is something that happens in a few milliseconds I'm sure.
Bob do you know if the e-gov uses the pitch changes to compensate the headspeed.
MrEmail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2014, 06:59 AM   #75 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I only know what Angelos posted.

People really need to fly it to believe and understand it.

Sent via phone
Old 12-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I only know what Angelos posted.

People really need to fly it to believe and understand it.

Sent via phone
i'm dying to brother, weather has got to change. my 770 is all set to go and did most of the setup on the 570 last night.
shein95 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am not 100% sure what the gov reads. Angelos knows about the cyclic reading or not. I was just explaining the feed forward and throttle V curve. Just trying to help allieviate all the questions as to why they should run a curve instead of a flat line. The curve is better and will utilize the extra functionality of the gov and feed forward. If you do not use a curve it will still work but you will lose the feed forward and it will run just like every other governor.

I have not seen another governor with a throttle feed forward. This is a big step forward for governors.

Spartan Vortex, Scorpion Motors, ExperienceRC Batteries, OMG Servos
FrSky Taranis
DaveHolland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I am not 100% sure what the gov reads. Angelos knows about the cyclic reading or not. I was just explaining the feed forward and throttle V curve. Just trying to help allieviate all the questions as to why they should run a curve instead of a flat line. The curve is better and will utilize the extra functionality of the gov and feed forward. If you do not use a curve it will still work but you will lose the feed forward and it will run just like every other governor.

I have not seen another governor with a throttle feed forward. This is a big step forward for governors.
I think the part that is confusing (me at least) is why the Vortex isn't just looking at the pitch curve---since it is joined at the hip to the throttle curve.

Now I don't run what one might call a "normal" pitch curve. On my helis that use the ESC governor, I just flip into one of the IUs and fly. On my non-governed birds, I input a "U" curve on throttle, as well as the standard linear pitch curve on that channel. In other words, the pitch and throttle curves have a direct relationship---when the pitch goes away from zero, throttle increases.

I have no problem with putting in a throttle curve for the Vortex, but it is just a little unclear what the difference between that and what Angelos calls collective throttle mixing. They seem quite related, except I get to put in the feedforward curve for throttle.

Just wondering.
ahahn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #79 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I'm going to fly 5 packs here shortly. 25*F and 10 mph wind....not bad.

Sent via phone
Old 12-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

very bad weather here so was playing around with the gov , this is with HobbyWing 100A v3 on my Trex500 using the internal phase sensor , hope for nice weather so I can test this

N : 80 : 74 : 70 : 74 : 80 ( 2300 hs )
s1: 90 : 85 : 80 : 85 : 90 ( 2500 )
s2: 100 : 94 : 90 : 94 : 100 ( 2700 )
hold quit well on the bench

Vortex gov test (1 min 15 sec)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in