450 3D motor and ESC? - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 450 3D motor and ESC?

I had the bright idea to throw my 450 3D's motor and ESC in this bird. I just started researching the differences in the motor and noticed the KV ratings. Why is the KV lower on the bigger motor? Does this motor have less performance?

300X has this: 320H Helicopter Motor, 4500Kv: 300 X

450 3D has this: Brushless 420 Helicopter Motor, 3800Kv

I'm not sure why a bigger heli would have a smaller KV....?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

KV only tells you the RPM per volt rating, it is not an indication of motor power. As an example of that, I have a 14,000KV motor in my brushless mCP X, but of course it doesn't have more power than the 300X motor.

The KV rating you choose depends on the gear ratio, cell count, and / or desired headspeed range of the heli.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchandler View Post
I had the bright idea to throw my 450 3D's motor and ESC in this bird. I just started researching the differences in the motor and noticed the KV ratings. Why is the KV lower on the bigger motor? Does this motor have less performance?

300X has this: 320H Helicopter Motor, 4500Kv: 300 X

450 3D has this: Brushless 420 Helicopter Motor, 3800Kv

I'm not sure why a bigger heli would have a smaller KV....?
FYI, the KV of most large "700" size models have a KV of around 500. Cell count, and gear ratio are the reasons.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah normally bigger the heli the lower the kv my 500 was building few yrs ago was going to take a 1100 kv motor

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cool. Thanks, all. I may try it out then. I'm going to put on CF blades first though, and see if that's enough performance boost for now...
Old 09-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you haven't already done so, go through the AR7200BX setup and check your collective pitch range. Mine had only about 10 degrees and was very sedate feeling. I cranked that up and it really has pop now.

I really don't think it needs more power, just a bit of headspeed (and blades that will handle it) and a bit more collective pitch.

If you start adding a 450 size motor and ESC, then you'll need a bigger battery, and soon you're going to end up with an overweight pig with a high disc loading (which will require more headspeed, and use more power...). It's a vicious circle.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used the motor and esc from my 450 on my 300, then the tail blades, main blades, tail boom, frame..... in the end, all I did was move my 450 from one side of the room to the other...
Old 09-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexperience View Post
I used the motor and esc from my 450 on my 300, then the tail blades, main blades, tail boom, frame..... in the end, all I did was move my 450 from one side of the room to the other...

So you basically 'stretched' the 300?!

Interesting...

Does anyone know what would happen if you just put the 450 main and tail blades on the 300x? Would the motor be too week/tail too weak?
mixfisto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixfisto View Post
Does anyone know what would happen if you just put the 450 main and tail blades on the 300x? Would the motor be too week/tail too weak?
You would promptly chop the tail blades off with the main blades.

Guys, I know you don't want to hear this, but having been down this bumpy road of major upgrades before I'll say it anyway:

Enjoy the 300X for what it is (an inexpensive, fun, care-free heli) and don't try to make it into something it isn't.

The only mods I've made (or plan to make) are personal choices of electronics (servos, ESC) and blades. Major airframe modifications usually end up being expensive and frustrating. There are lots of other helis out there to try.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post

Guys, I know you don't want to hear this, but having been down this bumpy road of major upgrades before I'll say it anyway:

Enjoy the 300X for what it is (an inexpensive, fun, care-free heli) and don't try to make it into something it isn't.

The only mods I've made (or plan to make) are personal choices of electronics (servos, ESC) and blades. Major airframe modifications usually end up being expensive and frustrating. There are lots of other helis out there to try.
Good point

I got 2... 1 keeping stock-ish. The other is my paint, experiment, crash, go nutz heli
Old 09-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I think of mods I think of my Brothers first car. He over powered the engine and blew the tranny. Beefed up the tranny and broke the drive shaft. Heavier drive shaft then broke the rear diffy. Up graded the diff and broke the axles.
CrashandBurn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashandBurn View Post
When I think of mods I think of my Brothers first car. He over powered the engine and blew the tranny. Beefed up the tranny and broke the drive shaft. Heavier drive shaft then broke the rear diffy. Up graded the diff and broke the axles.
And in the end he probably also broke the bank... and his mind
Old 09-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It is a slippery slope indeed. I mean, if you have fun then that's what it's all about. But having been there done that myself, I just wanted to share my hard-earned experience with the modding.

Of course, I should practice what I preach, I just returned from a couple of front yard flights. One with the 10T pinion / governed setup on the 300X, and another with a brushless-modified m CPX.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
It is a slippery slope indeed. I mean, if you have fun then that's what it's all about. But having been there done that myself, I just wanted to share my hard-earned experience with the modding.

Of course, I should practice what I preach, I just returned from a couple of front yard flights. One with the 10T pinion / governed setup on the 300X, and another with a brushless-modified m CPX.
Truth be told, it never ends...this hobby's got us by the cahones and isn't letting go anytime soon
Old 09-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You're preaching to the choir, man. I've been addicted to RC since 1980 and it's not getting any less severe!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I agree 100% with Chris. If you want a stretched heli get into something larger
superjet112x is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.