Motor Upgrade - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 130X

130X Blade 130X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Motor Upgrade

So I have read the motor mods sticky and quite a few other threads about motor upgrades but I am still undecided.

At the moment I am leaning toward the Spin 8000kv motor, can this be run safely with the 130's 3n1? or will it need a seperate esc? I would not mind having BLHELI on this bird so I may just get one anyway but later on once I know the motor is good.

So my question is what is the best motor upgrade at the moment?

I am looking for the following:
As much unbogability as possible I want some torque!
Decently high headspeed, I find that the stock at 100% is a good headspeed but a little more wouldn't hurt at all.

Cheers!
shadowraven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hp08 is more than stock with 10t but not insane and you still get good flight times with a 450mah, motor hardly gets warm. You may still get some bogging and the wires like all hp motors are very delicate. Spin 8000 with 11t is insane power with virtually no bog, motor and pack comes down warm and you will probably only get 3 munutes out of a 450 sticking to the 80% rule. I didn't like the 11t, it was too much and made it twitchy, less predictable, harder to control, and to me the flight time penalty wasn't worth the extra power. Just put the 10t on the spin and am putting everything on the xtreme frame now so we'll see how that goes. I also have a 9t and plan on trying that out later.
You can use the stock esc with both from what I read. No experience with hp10 but can't remember reading anything but good things about it. With the spin and hp08 you can move the battery further back, hp10 sticks out the top of the battery tray. You may have to shave the elevator servo horn for clearance with spin and 10t or lower, not sure if anyone has put a 9t on a stock frame but clearance is slim. Get a frame stiffener with whatever you choose, once you cut away the battery tray the only support your motor has is the plastic molded motor mount.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm very happy with the Spin 8000kv on 10t paired with Lynx 116t main gear. The motor is really smooth, and got tons of power to grow into. With the 116t main gear, the max head speed is on par with an HP08s on 10t, but it's impossible (at least for me) to bog the motor. The 116t main gear does require you to elongate the motor mounting holes forward about 1mm, but I see this as a good thing as it gives you really good clearance for the motor all around so you don't need to modify the elevator servo. This is all with stock 3-in-1, and you can add an ESC for governor or put on a 11t if you want more in the future.

I know a lot of guys have had good luck with HP08s, but not me. I got 2 bad ones in a roll from HawkRC and they don't even provide any support or replacement. I'd suggest either get a Spin 8000kv or get an HP08s from a reputable vendor, such as Dylan or Topper, who actually test their motor for vibes before shipping.
aldenyuan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Re: Motor Upgrade

What are your flight times aldenyuan? I would be using 450mah nanos with it

How easy are tic-tocs can that bog it?
Old 05-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My 450's are on their way, so I only have 3 stock batteries to run on my bird. My flying routine is a mix of everything with focus on tic-toc's and half piro flips. On average, the power consumption is about 85 mah/minute, according to my charger and RC Log. Since my bird is quite fat with all the bling (103g without battery), I'm guessing you can easily get a good 4 minute of hard 3D flying with 450's while sticking to the 80% rule.

I'm certainly not a good enough pilot to speak for tic-toc performance on this motor, but I can't bog the motor with continuous tic-toc's (more of some hard-stop short rainbows) before I need to stop and correct orientation. I wanted to shoot a short video to let you guys make the judgement on your own, but a perfectly calm flying day has now turned very windy. I will try that tomorrow (weather permitting.)
aldenyuan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted thanks aldenyuan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.