Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > HeliFreak.com Rules, Support and Testing > Other Websites > RC Heli Nation Podcast - Listeners Corner

RC Heli Nation Podcast - Listeners Corner RC Heli Nation Podcast - Listeners Corner for Suggestions and Announcements from RCHN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ok so I heard the last episode of RCHN

Ok so after getting a bit of heat from Nick I finally worked my way through the last episode. I guess I won't be getting any help from him as I think I have pissed him off more than once.

Sorry about jumping to conclusions and all but to me it was a really big hit. Yeah I know to many it was just a podcast full of funny and knowledgeable guys but to me it was so much more.

I am one of those guys who fly mostly alone. Yes I joined a club and yes I have a blast when I go but I spend most of my time with family so my flight schedule is really whenever I can get to it which usually means flying alone on the nearby deserted park early in the morning.

To me the hobby has had big ups and downs. The first year was mostly a big loss with my 200 SRX trying to make it fly consistently which I did at the very end. Then I jumped the gun to a 360 CFX which struck me on the back to produce two very near-hospital wounds at which point I almost quit the hobby but my 10 year old son reminded me I had told him if I really wanted something to keep going at it. Here I am two and a half years in with two Goblins and an Oxy (and still flying like crap but that's ok).

This hobby has become so much more than a hobby but a passion. It has allowed me to progress into something I saw impossible (just fly around the freaking thing) and meet wonderful people. All it took was a PM and a request to solder connectors (literally days ago was my first ESC solder job) and I met JWeber and catch96. Or get great advice from peteski and oliver1071 who are just awesome people. Or be guided by the great Yoda ArchmageAU. Or meet markrj who was way too kind telling me I had progressed a lot since last he saw me fly. Or Chris Reibert who sold me my first Goblin 380 airframe and who keeps answering my annoying texts and has helped so much more than I ever expected. Or meeting JonJet face to face after I had a business trip to his hometown. Or so many great and awesome people I fail to mention but that feel like buddies at a flying field.

And Dan, Nick, Justin, Jessie and Saje who week after week brought out laughs, accompanied me on my long business trip drives, and taught me so much about this complex hobby. Guys who are so awesome to put in their time week after week for a passion I share. For this weird bond that RC heli pilots have. I am very limited in my knowledge but no PM or message that asks a question goes by without me answering or seeking another HF user who I know will have the answer. I want to give as much as I can as I have received far more than I can ever expect to give back, although I will certainly try.

So to me losing RCHN is like losing those buddies who accompany me on this journey. Although as Saje said, they don't really talk back like Helifreakers, they still feel like buddies that talk the same language and that I can learn from. So many good episodes filled with incredible advice and topped off with so many good laughs.

This bond is what I will miss. I still have to finish my early re-run journey (at episode 56 currently) but to know that's it is really painful. Whenever there was a major event on the hobby (like the FAA thing to name one) I knew the guys would talk about it next episode and give it a very good, informed opinion based on their experiences and knowledge in the hobby. Losing that is what's painful. And as I had stated before, I resisted to listen to it because it was like reading a farewell letter from a good friend who is going away.

But I understand the reasons. It was very clearly explained and now I understand what the plans are, that the Fun Fly is not going away and that old episodes will also still remain.

So as it is usual with me I could just not write a short post about this, so sorry about my ranting.

You guys will surely be missed as the RCHN team as I know you will remain as now regular citizens.
Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2017, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dude, they are not dead. Get your shit back together and go fly a pack. Remember, its all about the love of heli flying.
---MSH PROTOS EVO 380---
JANtoolMAN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2017, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I laughed way too hard at this
BuildFlyCrashRepeat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yowsa, go easy fellas...lol

To each their own so if he wants to be broke up about a podcast then more power to him.

Don't sweat it toadi, you still have the Helifreaks for guidance and entertainment. Never listened to it myself as life, flying, tinkering and Helifreak occupies all my time already.

I also fly alone but that's by choice. Rc helis are the best (legal lol) escape from reality I've found. Once the skids leave the ground it's just me and my heli and the rest of the world/work/stress/bills/bs melts away for those few minutes. My mind can't wander too far for more than a second or two unlike other hobbies I've had where I can still dwell on shit the whole time. So I understand your passion for the hobby even though I don't care for going to the field to bs with people. Get my heli talk fix here and more than my fill of people at work.

Chin up man life goes on. You never know, the podcast ending might stir up something else you enjoy even more..
Old 01-17-2017, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I didnt mean to be mean. It's how I would have told a friend and we are all friends here and share the same love for helis
---MSH PROTOS EVO 380---

Last edited by JANtoolMAN; 01-17-2017 at 08:43 PM..
Old 01-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I am flattered that my post provided some means of entertainment to you, really.

Myself? I would never laugh at a buddy pilot who crashes, or to the guy that approached Dan with his strong attachment to the podcast, or Dan himself for using toy helicopters as an avenue to recover from illness and getting back up on his feet, or any others.

I guess my post is not for you as it does not relate with your experience on the hobby. To each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildFlyCrashRepeat View Post
I laughed way too hard at this
Podcast host Skids Up
Old 01-17-2017, 05:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks buddy!

Just venting out, sharing, and mending up things a bit after I jumped the gun too early on earlier posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnedthehardway View Post
Yowsa, go easy fellas...lol

To each their own so if he wants to be broke up about a podcast then more power to him.

Don't sweat it toadi, you still have the Helifreaks for guidance and entertainment. Never listened to it myself as life, flying, tinkering and Helifreak occupies all my time already.

I also fly alone but that's by choice. Rc helis are the best (legal lol) escape from reality I've found. Once the skids leave the ground it's just me and my heli and the rest of the world/work/stress/bills/bs melts away for those few minutes. My mind can't wander too far for more than a second or two unlike other hobbies I've had where I can still dwell on shit the whole time. So I understand your passion for the hobby even though I don't care for going to the field to bs with people. Get my heli talk fix here and more than my fill of people at work.

Chin up man life goes on. You never know, the podcast ending might stir up something else you enjoy even more..
Podcast host Skids Up
Old 01-17-2017, 06:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post

Thanks buddy!

Just venting out, sharing, and mending up things a bit after I jumped the gun too early on earlier posts.
No need to explain brother. Who G'sAF what others think about it, I sure don't.

I spit out way TMI here all the time and don't think twice about it. As a black sheep amongst black sheep I'm far from your average helifreak and sure I rub a lot of people the wrong way but love me or hate me I'm still gonna be me.

I don't think they were really trying to knock you. I actually talk to my friends that way just like JBHAWAII said. We call each other names and give each other crap over every little thing. Also think BFCR was laughing at JB's blunt response and not your post.

And if he was laughing about the OP then who cares, if he wants to be an a-hole then more power to him. Sooner or later he'll get the same in return when he needs some help or whatever.

Anyways, we are many from all walks of life here so some off the wall comments are to be expected now n then.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup, Exactly. Except I would have used a bunch of bad words if I knew you IRL. I only heard a couple episodes. I actually kept wondering what this citizen stuff was for a long time. I wish I would have been high tech enough to even know what a podcast was. I would have liked to have listened to these podcasts and joined. Anyway, I only wanted to bring you back from your sadness and remind you why we do this. Many come and go in this hobby. Get up, go fly and shred up the sky brah
---MSH PROTOS EVO 380---
Old 01-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's not about "being broken up over a podcast". I know exactly what he is feeling. With the podcast coming to an end it is basically a hole in my life that wasn't there before. It's a loss. Not everyone will feel this way, we are all different. It was a great privelage for these guys to let us into their lives for a very long time, and now that's over. It's not something to be upset about but it has had an affect on me and obviously others as well. It would be a disservice to the crew as well as the listeners for them to continue out of some sort of obligation to us.
I understand exactly what Nick talked about with his son. There are things I would like to do but my kids look up at me and want attention and that settles that. Good for him that's the way it should be because I've learned the hard way that you don't get that time back. Who knows maybe someday when their kids get older they will get into the hobby and will fire up RCHN v3. How awesome would that be. In the end for me it was an honor to experience the laughs, ups and downs, good days and bad, plus all the great information these guys shared with us, but most importantly that they shared their lives with us. Their passion and devotion in everything they did will never be forgotten and probably never surpassed. A sincere Thank You to Dan, Nick, Justin, Jesse, Ken, Dude Man Larry, Sage, Dieter, Rob, Callum, Jake, and anyone else envolved for everything you did for the hobby and us.
Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
dmorrow71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2017, 12:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The RC hobby is not dying or going away!

Well I must say it also saddens me to see the RCHN boys end the show, but as a father of two young ones I support them 110% I have been along for the ride listening to them since Episode #1. They deserve family time and making memories that will also last a lifetime. They know they were more than just a bunch of guys shooting the shit and know how awesome their podcast has helped so many. That is why I am Grateful for them and that they have decided to go out on top in the best of spirits.

This year marks the 31st year I have been in the hobby. I am a 3rd generation RC pilot and I plan to make my son Logan or daughter Hailey the 4th generation! The hobby is what you make it. I don't see how it is dying. People don't know how lucky they are to be flying the models and technology we have today. I remember when I was flying helicopters with tail gyros (a real gyro ball that spun in a box) and helicopters with no CCPM mixing. Hell when my father taught me to fly in the 80s there was no buddy box or simulator. He would put his hands over mine and take over if I got in trouble. My flight simulator has always been to get out and fly! Yes crashing sucks but it makes you a better pilot and mechanic in the end no matter how Frustrating it can be.

Over the past 3 decades I have been lucky enough to see huge advancements in model aircraft and electronic technology. Technology keeps going up and starting entry prices for the consumer keeps coming down. Heck you can get a 230 size Ready-To-Fly helicopter for under $200 with SAFE Technology. In the 90s that couldn't even buy you a radio system. Season after season I continue to buy, fly, test, review, share and sell my models to try the next latest and greatest and keep other guys in the hobby.

I took over as Contest Director for our Northeast Model Helicopter Jamboree 3 years ago. This year will mark our 15th year doing the event. Yes the past few seasons I have seen lower numbers but people leave the hobby for many reasons. Money, illness, new hobbies, family etc... That doesn't mean the hobby is dying! I have a few diehards who come out to our event (never missed a show) and still fly older flybar Nitro models that are hard to get parts for. Tell them the hobby is dying and they will laugh at you with a big goofy grin on their face and think you are the crazy one.

Make the hobby what you want it to be. As long as You are still buying fuel, batteries and have the will to play and FLY the hobby isn't going to die for you. I get asked all the time if I get bored or tired of the build reviews I do or the help I give out to people or flying RC in general. Absolutely Not! This is more than a hobby for me, it is a passion I've had since I was 6 years old. It doesn't matter if some companies close down, friends move away or guys come and go from one aspect of the RC hobby to another. RC will be around Forever if you let it into your life.

Make the hobby your own and if you have the passion, the love and dedication I have for the hobby that will transmit to others in the hobby and keep it alive. My Papa turned 92 years old this year and having him stand next to my father and I as I flew an airplane he gave to me that he built in the 80s is a memory I have been waiting over 30 years to make! As long as I can move the sticks on the radio the hobby is not leaving me or my family!

RC Forever & God Bless our RC forefathers for giving us this wonderful hobby!

The Cup is 1/2 Full, not half empty!
-Chris Reibert

A day history was made!
Papa, myself, my son Logan and my father. 4 generations of RC pilots.

My daughter Hailey and I. She is my little flying buddy and Princess.

Hailey & Grandpa. My father who has guided me through life and made me the man I am today.
Chris Reibert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2017, 12:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

RCHN Listener Chat (Discord) - https://discord.gg/6SvCccC
corywrx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2017, 03:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I see it as kind of like one of your favorite TV shows that has had its final episode. You know the actors are still doing their thing elsewhere but you do tend to grow attached to those you spend a few hours a week with wether it be verbally or visually.
I know since my daughter was born I have flown barely half as much as before and as she gets older and I'm able to bring her to the field I will be able to fly more often and get back to what I feel I've been missing.
I know I've probably pissed 3 of the 4 off by something or another I've said on social media (Saje would have inevitably made that list but Justin let's it ride off like water on a ducks back) and I'm honestly ok with that. I've pissed my best friend of 25 years off a time or two and guess what, I call him my brother today.
I will miss hearing them tell story's of their weeks prior and making me laugh my ass off on my way to work. I'll also miss being able to learn and get great tips from them but as the saying goes, as bright as the sun can shine, the moon is right around the corner. Meaning it is kind of silly to expect these dudes to do a podcast forever.
New beginnings for Justin and especially Jesse, Nick going on his adventures with his boy and the whole only doing it because it part of the routine now is 100% understandable. For me, I wouldn't want to force someone to do what they didn't want to do (unless it's part of their job).

No matter what each of them feel about me personally I still wish them the best and hope they find their passions again.
It was a fun ride, now we just have to find another vehicle to joyride in 😂😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DarkSyd3D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Many good points here.

The hobby is only as rich as WE make it. RCHN allowed us all to feel engaged for years with very little effort on our part. It was like going to the field and enjoying that fellowship without even having to add anything of value to the conversation. This technology that allows the rise of things like the podcast has this disconnect as a downside. The hosts may not be as present in our earbuds as we've come to enjoy but there is a very real way to stay engaged in this hobby. Join an online session on the sim of your choice. I personally have a semi permanent room up, Steve's Helis, on RF 7.5. I also have Heli-X but have not used the online feature much. I don't see upgrading to RF-X anytime soon due to several issues I feel the authors failed to address when they put it out. There's nothing better than spending a few minutes at the field with your buddies when it's snowing outside.

Don't just come in and wiggle the sticks for a minute while you ignore the others in the room. Get a cheap USB headset and join the conversation. You must use a headset because speakers create an echo. We can talk about anything as long as people remain respectful that others may not share their views on EVERY subject. Need help with a maneuver? I'll help you or find the answer for you. Need buying or technical advice? Myself or someone else will have some thoughts on that. Want to have a friendly best maneuver, 30 seconds to music or autorotation contest? Competition improves both the breed and the community. Just want to blow off some steam and listen that's fine too but realize a community is only as strong as it's members contributions. About the only thing I won't allow the group to become is an echo chamber like is seen occasionally at flying fields where only the views of the core are allowed to be expressed without ridicule.

We've all been benefactors of others efforts for a long time. What will you contribute today to keep our hobby alive?
Steve Graham is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in