Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default retired my gaui quads (from FPV)

They're OK for gentle LOS flying around, but once I get some speed up and being more daring, it's just too unstable.
Maybe I am pushing too hard!!

FPV in the 450 more aerobatic and having fun with that.

Funny coz a few months ago the thought of FPV in a heli was insane! The quad was so much more gentle.

No flying the 450 FPV is the norm!

So retired the quad and just keeping that for fun in the garden, and to train the kids up.

But also retired the 450 and moved to 500 for a little more stability and payload ability
tomcarpenter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

This doesn't surprise me, you are one of the few other FPV heli flyers out there pushing your models into aerobatics, and the quad just won't cut it! I'm sure you'll have a blast with your 500, there is just no way a quad can compete. My FPV buddy here has a quad for FPV and flies 3D normally, and he was so jealous when he saw my mini titan fly FPV! Its not just the stability at speed and the ability to do aerobatics, its little things like being able to pull the nose up and do a smooth decent. A quad is almost like flying a fixed pitch heli with stability augmentation, with all the same limitations like poor control during decents...
Old 04-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have 2 330sx

I put LED light strips on one, which I will try some night flying (LOS!)

The other I will keep for FPV, but low, slow flight, in forests, through trees, between objects etc!

I will put vids up soon,

My 500 needs a power boost. I think the lipos are too old. Once boosted I am hoping for fast climbouts, big loops, etc just like I do LOS with my 550!
Old 04-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronredbaron View Post
This doesn't surprise me, you are one of the few other FPV heli flyers out there pushing your models into aerobatics, and the quad just won't cut it! I'm sure you'll have a blast with your 500, there is just no way a quad can compete. My FPV buddy here has a quad for FPV and flies 3D normally, and he was so jealous when he saw my mini titan fly FPV! Its not just the stability at speed and the ability to do aerobatics, its little things like being able to pull the nose up and do a smooth decent. A quad is almost like flying a fixed pitch heli with stability augmentation, with all the same limitations like poor control during decents...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarpenter View Post
They're OK for gentle LOS flying around, but once I get some speed up and being more daring, it's just too unstable.
Maybe I am pushing too hard!!

FPV in the 450 more aerobatic and having fun with that.

Funny coz a few months ago the thought of FPV in a heli was insane! The quad was so much more gentle.

No flying the 450 FPV is the norm!

So retired the quad and just keeping that for fun in the garden, and to train the kids up.

But also retired the 450 and moved to 500 for a little more stability and payload ability

This is what I think
Unstable? Tom, I don't think so...
Quads are more suited to FPV than helis because they are MORE stable.
My quad can go places that your heli can't (like through my house (vid soon)) because of its small size and stability. High speed, no problem, I've had my quad clocked at 80km/h. Smooth, controlled decent? Its all technique (see my vids). Quads at altitude..yep, large payloads..for sure. Each machine has its own limitations and advantages. Yes, aerobatics are 3d helis forte. But, FPV (stability) and aerial photography/videography (payload) is a quad/hexa/octo-copters forte. Yes a heli can roll (so can quads) a heli can flip (so can quads). Maybe not loops and inverted flight though.
However, don't get me wrong, I do not doubt that flying a 3D helicopter FPV style is awesome fun, extremely challenging and fun to watch
juz70 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 03:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

No, I agree with most of what you say

quad is best platform, smooth, easy, etc,
but mine has problems, that no matter what I try , I cant eliminate.
And I have lost confidence in them.

But I will try one last time. I'll put my thoughts on RCGroups though as I need a lot more help than the small reader ship here!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in