Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By vertico
  • 1 Post By Crowbar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2020, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Can a 360 break bones

I know this is a weird question but was wondering if my 360 6s can say break my radius or ulna a substantial bone. I know it could certainly tear you up and mess up your hands but could it do real damage.
jasond1979 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2020, 10:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Can a 360 break bones

It can kill you for sure, a main blade to the neck for example with blood loss. Permanent injuries too like blinding if a blade hits your eye.

Don’t know about breaking a large arm bone. There are worse things than broken bones though.

Last edited by xoexoe; 10-14-2020 at 11:35 PM..
xoexoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2020, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The plastic blades on my Oxy 2 can break the skin. The carbon ones on it can dent the sheet metal of a car (Sadly)... That’s a 190-210mm sized heli

I think I heard about a guy that got hit by his fireball doing a funnel. It sliced the tendon in his arm and was lucky someone showed up otherwise he would have bleed to death. That’s a 280 sized heli.

Now hopefully you see where this is going... keep your limbs out of the rotating machinery. Better to ‘re-kit’ the heli than any part of your body.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It depends on your physics, of course. I know some people with arms looking like legs. But talking about "normal" arms or bones in your wrist - a 360 size 6S Heli with about 3000 RPM and 800W Power für shure can break bones. So watch out!
Old 10-15-2020, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

It all depends how it hits you. I got struck by a Blade 360 CFX once. It came right to me and I turned my back to it. Managed to get a nasty cut on my back through 4 layers of clothing. No throttle hold of course this was when I was just learning FFF. To this today I struggle with that reflex, though, but on those times didn't know how to react to something like that.
Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2021, 04:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know someone personally who's 500 tail blades (werent removed while working on it)
got him in an artery. Almost killed him. As for me I did the same thing less than a year ago with a 450 on the bench but it only blasted a 550 canopy and grazed my tv...well that's what I thought until I finally turned the TV on the other day..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210902_210310_1630876021710.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	644.5 KB
ID:	930901   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210902_210359_1630876066060.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	930903   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210902_234013_1630876085108.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	930905  
29Lives is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2021, 05:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

These things are inherently dangerous, that is just a fact. I run a 450 machine and the head moves pretty good. I am not sure at what RPM, but last thing I want to find out is what damage it can cause. Regardless of machine size, the utmost respect and care must be taken at all times. Don't let routine loosen you up.
LS1Heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2021, 11:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was with a friend who was flying a 360, he had it about 20-30 feet up and out in a tic toc and a link let go. It came down super fast as we tried to bolt away and it hit my forearm. Luckily it was winter and I had a pretty thick jacket on.

Likely because of the jacket it did not draw blood but we spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out of my arm was broken because the pain was so bad shooting up and down my arm.

It turned out nothing was broken but still an unfortunate lesson in how dangerous even a small one can be. I'm glad it didn't hit me in the head, could have been worse.
rdlohr likes this.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

450s (325mm blades) will break/remove fingers
550s (520mm blades) will break shins and arms
700s (700mm blades) will go through your skull and spinal column

I wouldn't worry about broken bones, that's the least of your problem. It's more about the big gashes in the flesh (the blades are very blunt but fast and with lead weights in them) and taking body parts right off.

There's documented cases for all of them with pictures and all. Granted, this is all with 3D heli head speeds but not even crazy high.

But even an MCPX will mess you up bad, keep it away from your major arteries for sure.

GORE WARNING:

There used to be another RC flying club around here but one of the guys didn't secure his plane to the pole when hand-starting the little engine (you know, when you put on the glove and give the prop a good shove with the throttle open). Apparently the throttle was set a bit high and the plane lurched forward and... ate both his arms. He actually begged the other guys to just let him die right there because the hobby was all he had. The whole club was dissolved because everybody who was there was pretty traumatised and found bits of arm bones near that pole even weeks later.
That was an O.S.2 engine, the size you'd fit in a 500 class heli.
xoexoe likes this.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't kid yourself. The tips of carbon fiber blades are sharp and can cut deeply. A broken blade can leave sharp carbon fiber edges exposed that can cause a nasty cut. How do I know this? In 2015 when I was learning to fly I had a nasty incident. One morning I was flying a Trex 500 and it was heading toward some parked cars (the heli was about 25-30 feet high). So I turned it toward me and it turned wide and when I saw it was coming at me I cut, the throttle and tried to jump out of the way but it hit me in the left leg and left some clean lacerations. The deepest went down to the shin bone. I was bleeding a lot and luckily a friend was with me and got a first aid kit from my car. The first aid kit wasn't doing it so I told him to call 911 and an ambulance showed up. I lost a lot of blood and I ended up with 22 stitches. I still have a nasty scar on my shin to remind me of the incident. I was just learning to fly then but even now I fly carefully and keep a respectful distance between the heli and myself. I've seen people fly radical 3D close in. That's asking for trouble. Everything happens so fast... I'm thankful that I had the sense to have someone with me.
crasher47 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2022, 04:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasond1979 View Post
I know this is a weird question but was wondering if my 360 6s can say break my radius or ulna a substantial bone. I know it could certainly tear you up and mess up your hands but could it do real damage.
Yes is the answer if the muscle isn't in tension. If "flexed" it would be unlikely.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbar View Post
He actually begged the other guys to just let him die right there because the hobby was all he had.
That is horrible.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasher47 View Post
I've seen people fly radical 3D close in. That's asking for trouble.
Agree, I don't care who you are or your skill level. Asking for trouble is exactly what it is. Mechanical failure can happen to anyone.
Old 11-21-2022, 12:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I lost control of my OMP Evo a while back and it went into
a gutter downspout at the corner of the house. The blades
sliced through it like it was butter .

If that had of been a human and depending on where it made contact
it could have easily been fatal .
jerryo22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2023, 10:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I believe an M2 evo right to the jugular in the right spot at full RPM could be fatal.

Two weeks ago I took an Align 600XN with RT610U at 2200 RPM to the back of the thigh, and miraculously walked away. No broken femur or stitches needed. Hurt, but incredibly lucky.

These things are flying spinning blades, of course they can off you.

CleanPowerSolar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2023, 02:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

FWIW I got hit in the arm when a friends 360 broke a link in flight.
Luckily, I was wearing a fairly thick cloth jacket as it was winter time. It freaking hurt, we spent a good 15 minutes trying to figure out if my arm was broken because it hurt so bad but ended up being fine, shaken up, only left with quite a bruise.
Not to say that's always the case but that's what happened to me.

Also to the post right above I think you should keep the pictures in the picture thread, not everyone wants to see gore when they are simply reading about safety.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in