Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > DT Helicopters

DT Helicopters DT Helicopter Discussion and Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default crashed DT520e - no parts available mostly

Well, I'm in a quandry. I lost my DT520e V1 yesterday. Broke the front of the frames this time. I "think" that if I can get a frame set and new blades, I have enough spare stuff on hand to fix it up. The huge problem is (of course) that DT is no longer manufacturing parts. SO, as much as I like this heli (probably 1000 flites!!), it's not worth fixing since I can't fix it again if I crash, and should put the $$ into a different heli, or be content with the rest of the fleet I have. It's a crying shame!

Any opinions are welcomed!
gmann is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought they still manufactured parts for kit owners or did I read that significantly wrong?

If not I still have 520 v1 with extra parts laying around in relatively good/complete state if I remember correctly, I'm not doing anything with it so don't have any problems selling it.
Shipping won't be cheap (40-60$?) but the kit itself will be I guess.

If you really love the heli you could always see if there are more people who are willing to part with theirs to keep your one flying.
Lots of people are facing the same problem so there will be kits for sale anyway I guess.
JeTa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2016, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you contacted Shannon at www.onlyfinehelis.com? He has said DT is going to continue to make parts.

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I haven't spoken with onlyfine since the announcement. The website says sold out on what I need - that's what I'm looking at. Is it possible they will get more stock? I emailed them a few weeks ago but did not get a response. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry, but I don't remember getting an email about V1 parts.

There are multiple parts that I have stashed that are not on the site. Email me with what you need and I will do my best to take care of you.

Thanks,
Shannon
Old 06-19-2016, 11:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Fix it!

I would keep fixing it and getting better. When website says out of stock call him and ask.

HoudiniRCHeli Podcast
rspiegel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2016, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Buy an airframe from OFH. You'll be be able to upgrade to the battery tray, and maybe have spares for another 1000 flights.

It kills me that they discontinued the line; the 520e is such a great "go-to" heli, and the canopy rocks.

Jumna is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeTa View Post
I thought they still manufactured parts for kit owners or did I read that significantly wrong?
I suspect you read it wrong. I think the gist was that they would continue to sell spares as long as stock held out (and stock might well be depleted already for some parts).
If it was not financially viable to manufacture kits then clearly it would also not be financially viable to maintain a full manufacturing facility just making spares.

If the part is available then you might as well fix it and worry about the next crash when/if it happens. Personally though if it were me and if it came to the point that i had to buy a complete kit when all i needed was one part (as suggested above), then I'd buy a complete kit for a different heli that had ongoing parts support, and swap the electronics over into it.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
I suspect you read it wrong. I think the gist was that they would continue to sell spares as long as stock held out (and stock might well be depleted already for some parts).
If it was not financially viable to manufacture kits then clearly it would also not be financially viable to maintain a full manufacturing facility just making spares.

If the part is available then you might as well fix it and worry about the next crash when/if it happens. Personally though if it were me and if it came to the point that i had to buy a complete kit when all i needed was one part (as suggested above), then I'd buy a complete kit for a different heli that had ongoing parts support, and swap the electronics over into it.
Just read the announcement again.
Parts support in the manner of remaining stock seemed so logical to me that I automatically assumed they would still produce parts as some kind of courtesy to kit owners. Now I read it back I could be entirely wrong indeed.

I would probably get myself a new kit too, but in general it would really depend on how much I liked the model.
JeTa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

The problem is finding a comparable model. Most of the ones in this size class are limited to 4000mAh packs at most.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2016, 08:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The current commitment from DT is they will still continue to manufacture parts as needed.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

You will continue to stock parts I hope I see a few out of stock so I was wondering what the situation was on parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Fine Helis View Post
The current commitment from DT is they will still continue to manufacture parts as needed.
Michael64 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree completely there really is not one that is close at all the either are bigger or heavier and bigger. I love the way teh 520 flies it fits my flight style as Iam no great 3D pilot but leave smooth aerobatics so this one is just right gives great flight time and on one battery as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
The problem is finding a comparable model. Most of the ones in this size class are limited to 4000mAh packs at most.
Michael64 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Feel free to email me about any specific parts that show out of stock that you need.

I have multiple team pilot parts and parts kits in the back that I pull from that I can normally take care of most issues.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Fine Helis View Post
I dont doubt for a minute that they gave you that commitment, but do you feel it's realistic?
It just seems unlikely to me that they would keep manufacturing going for parts if that same manufacturing operation was deemed no longer financially viable for kits?

I hope I'm wrong, best of luck with it.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

You'd be surprised. The lady at DT were always very nice to me and very receptive to suggestions. It's just a shame that they don't really translate what we write well. I don't doubt they'll fulfill Shannon's orders for one minute.

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2016, 08:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've got my 520 V1 that has been hanging on the wall untouched for a year now. Kingmax servos, DT motor. If anyone wants it to keep theirs flying, make me an offer. Flawless condition. I've got Edge 520s on it and the stock blades too.
Eury is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2016, 09:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default update

Well I went ahead and got a V2 kit from Shannon, GOOD price. I got it all together and first time hovered yesterday. I had a couple of minor issues:

when using the stock pinion that came in the kit, going on my DT motor, there was no way the motor mount plate with the slots could be pushed far enough forward - the screw holes were half covered up. In other words, when getting the plate in proper position for a good gear mesh, the screw holes were inaccessible! So I had to drill out the rearward portions of the slots, maybe 1 or 1 1/2mm to get the motor in there with the proper mesh and still get in the 4 bolts. Irritating.

The tail control rod was all preassembled with thick ends on it. I found out that at max deflect right rudder, the thick end (where the ball link screw goes into) bound up on the servo horn itself. Hard to explain, but I had to find a different horn with only 1 arm on it, and move the ball all the way out, about 18mm, to avoid this binding. OK now.

In case anyone doesn't know, the DT's are pretty much all assembled in "modules". I checked all the screws, and all seemed good. If you are a passionate builder (I am NOT), you may be disappointed at all the work the Chinese already did for you...
Old 07-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in