Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Multirotor Safety and ethics

Multirotor Safety and ethics General Multirotor Safety and proper flying ethical conduct

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2015, 05:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Threatening Email about FAA regulation

So I am a hobbyist. I made few videos of flying drones on my own.

I thought it would be cool to share the hobby and just charge the minimum.

So I put an ad on craigslist. I offered to do it like around $100. (including driving back and forth, operating drone there, risking my drone plus some editing) it costs like $100 per day to just to rent so I am basically donating my labor because I don't care about making money doing this.

Havent really heard from anyone for couple month. someone asked 'do you have 333 exemption' and I replied by saying 'no'

he said he took IP address down and will forward it to FAA.

I asked him 'for what? is it illegal to fly drone for fun?'

he replied by saying some guy thought it was funny but he got fined for $10,000 and he will call FAA everyday till they investigate it. he captured my craigslist ad with my phone number on it.
That's all he has. The online ad.

He must be one miserable asshole from drone company who's afraid of losing clients from hobbyist
(is it illegal for mechanics offering their work on craigslist? I think so. but who cares?)

anyways, have you guys dealt with these kind of incidents before?
Can I get fined for just posting an ad?
bassethoundeye is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Charging to take pics and videos is still not allowed under current FAA rules. Even if you donate your labour and just charge rental on your bird, it comes under current rules.

They are right in you're not flying for fun when you charge rent on it.
Doing what you're doing is not allowed. If you continue to do this and don't have the FAA exemption, you could face a summons to appear in court. If it goes that far you're looking at some serious fines.
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2015, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Under ' hobby aircraft ' you not allowed to receive any sort of benefit, even posting youtube video's that are monetized can land you in trouble.

1.) unless you wrote a receipt and they have witnesses they really have nothing on you. At most ' intent ' for placing an add.

2.) tell nothing. IF they ask you questions like " if you licensed " don't reply back. Don't post on the forums what you have or intend to do. if anything make it hypothetical. don't incriminate yourself.

3.) nothing wrong with charging moneys for your time or vehicle. As per flying you were just lending a friend/ acquaintance the hobby craft for free.
hollydrone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2015, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

and - to be fully compliant with the 333 exemption, you have to be a licensed pilot.
Currently the cheapest "loophole" to that requirement is to take lessons and get certified for a Hot Air Balloon which will give you a technically legal permit as a pilot.

Did you read today's mail from the AMA?
http://view.exacttarget.com/?j=fe5c1...0d7b711476&r=0

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...20mass%20email
Old 12-16-2015, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassethoundeye View Post
So I put an ad on craigslist. I offered to do it like around $100.
Not trying to stir the pot here, but once you start asking for money -- whether or not it even covers your expenses -- you cross the line from hobbyist to something else.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
and - to be fully compliant with the 333 exemption, you have to be a licensed pilot.
Currently the cheapest "loophole" to that requirement is to take lessons and get certified for a Hot Air Balloon which will give you a technically legal permit as a pilot.

Did you read today's mail from the AMA?
http://view.exacttarget.com/?j=fe5c1...0d7b711476&r=0

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...20mass%20email
What kind of pilot license?

It's my responsibility to make sure it works and know what could go wrong despite what everyone else is saying because they do not see what I foresee.
AntDX316 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in