Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > OXY HELI > Oxy3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I definitely don't think the belt needs or should be banjo tight. Honestly, I think if you just make the belt tight enough for you to abruptly hand-turn the tail rotor and turn over the motor without any skipping of belt teeth, then you're good. But, as with many things, YMMV.
navigator2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

So take what you have and loosen just a little. If it never gets to the point where it is not vibrating, I wouldn't worry about it. You may even see vibrations at the deflection the manual calls for. A video is not going to help you. It is all about developing a feel and my setup or anyone else's may not be exact to yours.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2017, 07:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Good enough.... I'll tinker with it some more and hopefully find the right tightness. Thanks everyone!
blkrvn1993 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

1-2mm makes it extra easy since it's very little. If it moves a little bit you're good, if it moves a quarter of an inch it's loose and if it doesn't​ move then it's tight.

It's not rocket science fellas, I don't even own a micrometer but do have a motor shaft I know is 3mm so I used that as a reference. 1 to 2/3 of the shaft thickness is 1-2mm.

Look at your Oxy3's​ motor, see that thing in the center of the motor can?? It's 4mm where it sticks out the bottom and 3mm at the pinion. You're welcome

Last edited by learnedthehardway; 05-18-2017 at 10:21 AM..
learnedthehardway is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 02:06 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnedthehardway View Post
1-2mm makes it extra easy since it's very little. If it moves a little bit you're good, if it moves a quarter of an inch it's loose and if it doesn't​ move then it's tight.

It's not rocket science fellas, I don't even own a micrometer but do have a motor shaft I know is 3mm so I used that as a reference. 1 to 2/3 of the shaft thickness is 1-2mm.

Look at your Oxy3's​ motor, see that thing in the center of the motor can?? It's 4mm where it sticks out the bottom and 3mm at the pinion. You're welcome
Why don't you post something of vaule next time?? Instead of being a condescending %$$@&$#!! Your first paragraph, I can accept. But don't make comments like I'm stupid in my post. Dang, I was just asking for a little clarity on the belt tightness and wasn't expecting to be treated as if I'm dumb! Correct 1-2 mm deflection on belt tightness also depends on how much pressure is applied on the belt to get the deflection, so I was just asking for some help on it. And you welcome!
blkrvn1993 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrvn1993 View Post
Why don't you post something of vaule next time?? Instead of being a condescending a$$@&$#!! Your first paragraph, I can accept. But don't make comments like I'm stupid in my post. Dang, I was just asking for a little clarity on the belt tightness and wasn't expecting to be treated as if im dumb! Correct 1-2 mm deflection on belt tightness also depends on how much pressure is applied on the belt to get the deflection, so I was just asking for some help on it. And you welcome!
Cause two people asked what 1-2mm looks like when they already installed a pinion on a 3mn shaft and have it staring at them out of the back of the motor that sits in plain view on the heli they're asking about. Didn't feel like 1-2mm should have to be shown in a video when everything on the fkn thing is measured in mm making it one giant reference.

If you need the absolute obvious spelled out or shown in a video then I will be condsending cause it strikes me as borderline retarded. Sorry for being honest and not sugar coating it, most can take a ribbing but now I know you can't. Give people crap so maybe they'll stop asking and start reading cause the answers they seek are already out there in several places if you take the time to find them yourself. How to check it is right in the manual​ and been explained already in post #5 of this very thread.

Don't worry I'll put you back on my ignore list since you were on it for some reason but I took you off to read your problem. Please do the same. You're welcome

Last edited by learnedthehardway; 05-18-2017 at 02:32 PM..
learnedthehardway is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Come on guys keep it civil. It helps to have different points of view and what to some is obvious to some is a great revelation. No question is dumb and some answers may seem too aggressive but again to some it's easy and obvious to some it's not.

Let's express our viewpoints like that and stop calling ourselves things we shouldn't shall we?

It's after all part of why this hobby is so awesome the people always willing to help. These types of discussions just foster a stop in communications, which is not what the forum is for.
Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
Come on guys keep it civil. It helps to have different points of view and what to some is obvious to some is a great revelation. No question is dumb and some answers may seem too aggressive but again to some it's easy and obvious to some it's not.

Let's express our viewpoints like that and stop calling ourselves things we shouldn't shall we?

It's after all part of why this hobby is so awesome the people always willing to help. These types of discussions just foster a stop in communications, which is not what the forum is for.
For sure, couldn't agree more.

Also, I too have been confused about the 1-2 mm thing--after all, I can always push too hard or not quite hard enough. Ultimately, this is what led me to just treat the thing like the belts on my 250s ... that is, relatively loose, no slack, but working properly.
navigator2011 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 09:34 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Found an easier point of reference on the oxy. If you look at the main gear there are small groves that are about ~1.8 mm wide. You can perfectly align it with the belt and by resting a small driver ( Here I used a 1.5mm dynamite driver ~30 grams) on the belt you can easily see if you got 1-2 mm of deflection based on where the belt aligns with respect to the groove. ( In image bellow I show how I do it, with my belt having about 2 mm of deflection (you can see the belt is bellow the grove point), which seems good enough for my flying style at the moment, going much more then that will lead to the belt skipping).

Hope this is helpful, I think it gives a very nice reference point for adjusting belt tension.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in