Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2017, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Kosmik governor adjust to Idle up changes ?

I'm new to Kosmik. I understand how to set the governor during first spool up. My question is, does the governor then adjust to hold the higher headspeed when, during the flight, I switch to a higher Headspeed via the idle up switch? I.e., if I start at 65% via idle up 1, wait a while for the gov to set, fly for a while then switch to 80% via idle up 2, does the gov then hold the higher setting?
I could not find a specific statement on this in the threads, but it seems as though the answer must be yes.
Thanks. And if the question is stupid...mea culpa.
hpaulmo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2017, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes, the throttle to rpm relationship dictated by the voltage are set at spool up. (mode 4) after that this is used to adjust rpm for changes demanded by different throttle inputs.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2017, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

As I best understand it, whether you use regular "governor" or "governor store", it does not matter what throttle percentage you start out. It is my understanding that one of the most important steps of spool up for optimal governor performance is to make sure the blades are at 0° pitch for every regular "governor" flight or the very first "governor store" flight. If using "governor store", it is ofter recommended to perform the initial spool up with your better packs, but the wisdom of this recommendation is debatable. If you alter the transmitter (alter the stick mechanical travels, recalibrate the sticks, etc.) you may want to re-perform a Mode 1 and Mode 4 calibration. If you change blades, pinion size, tail gear ratio, motor, battery cell count, etc., you do not need to re-perform the Mode 1 and Mode 4 calibration, but you should perform a new "governor store" if you are using the "governor store" mode. This is not an issue with regular "governor" as every flight is a "maiden" flight as far as the Kontronik ESC is concerned.
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2017, 12:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

The calibration of gov each flight is quite convenient. Nothing extra to do or remember across helis or setup changes. Just have a flight mode set to zero pitch, take throttle (mapped to collective stick) from zero to full, wait for spin up, reduce to mid stick, ie zero pitch normally, switch flight mode, throttle moves to governed value for that mode which I have set pretty close, collective never changes as mid stick is zero pitch, then take off as collective stick is now back to controlling collective pitch.

However, I've been tempted to switch to gov store on my Logo XXtreme as my main blade bolts have become bent and I'm suspecting it's due to the spoolup rpm's for setting the gov each time. The other benefit would be not over speeding when on the bench without blades.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Raptorapture, your spool-up process introduced a step I have not heard before. Sounds like each time you spool up using " governor " mode you actually spool up to 100% at zero pitch, then when the governor is set, you switch to your desired headspeed? I'll admit that it sounds frightening to me.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

That's correct. The intention is the ESC learns 100% and therefore is able to keep constant headspeed throughout the flight by going with max 80% setting for the gov. This allows the ESC to operate without any additional info being provided. Scares me too!
Old 07-01-2017, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting approach, but seems unnecessary based upon Kontronik's recommendations and feedback from other posts. My take is that the Kosmik uses whatever voltage or current is being received at spoolup as the calibration data point, then it calculates from any changes to that voltage or current a new head speed to be maintained. I.e., it does not need to "see" 100% throttle at spoolup to make the calculation if you change flight modes after spoolup.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

@hpaulmo - I agree with you. I never did that procedure and would never do that at all. What is recommended ... during spool up you are recommended to have you pitch about zero pitch to run most neutral spool up and allow for the same consistent rpm (in mode 4).

I never read that it would be recommended to spool up to 100 first and go from there to the rpm of your choice. That would be dangerous and I double checked manuals and see no such recommendation.

!!! still when spooling up do not spool up at to much negative or positiv pitch. Try zero pitch once that allows for steady results in rpm.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Thanks guys! Will review how I came up with the 100% rpm. I think it's related to using the collective stick in order to have control of throttle in case of anything going wrong. I did discover that it gives poor results if you don't swing to full quickly thereby putting into question the value.

I have zero pitch as a condition therefore if I hit TH while spooling up the heli will jump into orbit if spooled up enough when triggered. To remove this I would need to make zero pitch a switch independent of idle up condition. Alternatively I could adjust the rpm range/curve on that condition but I think it would be too much work, prone to error and confusing once in place.

I didn't invent the procedure but may have misinterpreted it. Fortunately I've been flying my helis generally at lower rpms although I did bend the Xxtreme's main blade bolts. I agree it's dangerous having the blades spin so high at zero pitch. Time to switch to a switch
Old 07-02-2017, 04:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yep - I am sure it simply mis interpreting some information. Also ... skip the flight mode where you use zero pitch only. Simply use flat throttle curve and when spooling up bring the stick to mid position for about 0% pitch. You will be much more comfortable
Old 07-02-2017, 11:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Only thing is I need a flight mode or mechanism to drop throttle to zero before spoolup as my TH is set in the 30% range in order to be able to activate bailout. Maybe a throttle kill switch that can act as a second factor to not spoolup whether before takeoff or after landing. Not sure if that can be done on Futaba though without using a condition, ie flight mode.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Futaba has both a KILL switch and HOLD switch so use those, just need to activate it.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use SG for TH Hold and SB for TH Kill. This way two switches protect from accidental spoolup.
18SZ and a Jive Pro
Old 07-05-2017, 08:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ditto. I just set up my Futaba 14SG so that my throttle hold switch (SG) is at 30% when engaged, which is required by my Kosmik ESC to do the fast spoolup if I bail from the auto. I then used the Throttle Kill function to enable throttle kill on switch SA. The kill switch takes the throttle to zero, which kills the fast spoolup mode immediately and I don't have to wait for the timeout. Also, the Kosmik won't initialize if I plug in the battery and I don't have the kill switch engaged because the Kosmik needs to see zero from the throttle, even though 30% will not spool up the motor after you initialize.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in