Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > MSH Brain FBL Unit

MSH Brain FBL Unit MSH Brain Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2017, 12:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Brain with Castle Live Link

I'd like to enable telemetry for the Brain with my Castle ESC. I see the need to add a pull-up resistor on the ESC signal line, but I'm not using the Castle BEC. I'm using a separate 8V BEC.

Wired the way it shows in the manual that will put 8V on the pull-up resistor and 8V on the ESC signal line. That's normally a 3V signal there. Is that going to be a problem for the ESC? Seems kind of screwy to me doing something like that.
Krager is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2017, 12:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

The signal line high rail is 5V, I believe, but no worries: the excess voltage will be dropped through the pull-up resistor. The pull-up is needed because of the signal line going essentially open-circuit whenever the signal line is not being (negatively) pulsed.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks. Wouldn't a pull-down resistor be better in that case?
Old 06-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigHB View Post
Thanks. Wouldn't a pull-down resistor be better in that case?
No.

I use the CC Edge HV 120 and the CC Edge Lite 100 with Brain 2 and PM4649T.

The Edge HV has no internal BEC but the Edge Lite 100 does.

But, I use an external BEC for both.
And both use a PULL-UP resistor on the throttle lead for CLL (per the diagram that is supplied by MSH in their Windows setup app).

On the CC Edge Lite, I simply lifted the red lead's pin out of the ESC's throttle cable connector.
On the CC Edge HV, I didn't bother lifting a pin.

If yo are interested in the details, check out this link:
https://dzf8vqv24eqhg.cloudfront.net...1606221536-537

Last edited by ticedoff8; 06-26-2017 at 10:10 AM..
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2017, 10:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

It’s always easier to sink current than to source it. Besides, there’s already a pull-down resistor internally.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2017, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
If yo are interested in the details, check out this link:
Thanks, I'll check out that document. Hopefully that will explain things for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
It’s always easier to sink current than to source it. Besides, there’s already a pull-down resistor internally.
Well you know what happens when there's both a pull-down and pull-up resisitor, you get a voltage divider and then the signal is never fully high, if it's driven by an open drain anyway. If you need a pull-up it usually is because it's open drain.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

Can I have problems to receive telemetry in my 14SG if I have CC quick conect in all my helis?

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/cast...0-p-11004.html

Thanks in advance
Old 07-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I guess I just need to attach the modified extension to the cable going into the reciver?
Old 07-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by msallua View Post
Hi,

Can I have problems to receive telemetry in my 14SG if I have CC quick conect in all my helis?

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/cast...0-p-11004.html

Thanks in advance
Is that the cable that allowsyou to connect the ESC to the PC without unplugging the throttle lead.

It is not needed for Brain 2 / iKON 2 connection to the CC ESC for logging and telemetry

But, if you feel like you will need to make a lot of adjustments to the ESC, then buy one and try it.
I can't see how it would hurt.
But, it may not work.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
Is that the cable that allowsyou to connect the ESC to the PC without unplugging the throttle lead.

It is not needed for Brain 2 / iKON 2 connection to the CC ESC for logging and telemetry

But, if you feel like you will need to make a lot of adjustments to the ESC, then buy one and try it.
I can't see how it would hurt.
But, it may not work.
CC Quick Connect ..I already have installed in all my helicopters.

I want to know if I need to remove CC Quick Connect ...

The Brain software manual does not mention if is necessary to remove this device (CC Quick Connect) for the correct operation of the telemetry. ( or perhaps I can't find in the DOC)
Old 07-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't seen it mentioned either and I use it one all my cc equip'ed heli's and had the same question. My understanding is you want to build the cable on the Brain side because you want to pull power from Brain power bus, so it would run ESC->Quick Connect->Mod cable with resistor->Brain/iKon.

I also use Herc servo Becs which complicates things, and because of that an other wrenching projects, I just haven't built the cable. I do pull the red/pos(+) on the quick connect to Brain side, not on the esc to quick connect side so power is provided from the esc to Castle Link. However, I'm going to need the cable either way, so perhaps you can give it a try and let us know?
Agile 5.5, Logo 550sx, X5, Goblin 500, Oxy 3, Trex 450proV2, 250DFC #309
nflanagin is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2017, 04:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflanagin View Post
I haven't seen it mentioned either and I use it one all my cc equip'ed heli's and had the same question. My understanding is you want to build the cable on the Brain side because you want to pull power from Brain power bus, so it would run ESC->Quick Connect->Mod cable with resistor->Brain/iKon.

I also use Herc servo Becs which complicates things, and because of that an other wrenching projects, I just haven't built the cable. I do pull the red/pos(+) on the quick connect to Brain side, not on the esc to quick connect side so power is provided from the esc to Castle Link. However, I'm going to need the cable either way, so perhaps you can give it a try and let us know?
The pull up resistor conveniently located to get power from the closest source.
That would be the red wire on the throttle lead.
Where that red wire gets its power from is up to you.

There is nothing magic about the source of the +V on the pull up.

All the normal rules for internal vs. eternal vs. internal+external BEC apply

My assumption is that I could incorporate the pull up directly into the CC Quick Connect harness and then decide where and if a red wire needs to be cut.

The the electrical reason for the pull up is to make sure the CLL output data signal goes high enough to be seen by the external device (the Brain 2); otherwise, the CLL signal looks a lot like noise between the pulses on the throttle channel

The gyro is driving the throttle channel's servo pulses into the ESC throttle input.

Whereas the CC ESC is driving the CLL single back into the gyro.

My understanding is that the ESC waits for the gyro's pulse to go down to 0V then inserts it's own CLL pulse for the gyro to read.

The pull up pulls the CLL pulse high enough for the gyro to reliably see it.

Last edited by ticedoff8; 07-21-2017 at 12:45 AM..
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2017, 06:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks so much, now it's making sense.
Agile 5.5, Logo 550sx, X5, Goblin 500, Oxy 3, Trex 450proV2, 250DFC #309
nflanagin is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by msallua View Post
CC Quick Connect ..I already have installed in all my helicopters.

I want to know if I need to remove CC Quick Connect ...

The Brain software manual does not mention if is necessary to remove this device (CC Quick Connect) for the correct operation of the telemetry. ( or perhaps I can't find in the DOC)
Yes, it works fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflanagin View Post

This is correct for using the ESC BEC

This is correct when using a separate BEC.
ESC > Quick Connect > From Quick Connect ( Red wire removed ) > Mod cable resistor > to Brain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in