Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:50 AM   #1
rdlohr
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Please visit the Safety Helicopter Forum...NOW

RC Helis are great and can be flown safely, but when not respected, they can be very dangerous. As a newbie, please take time to browse the safety section to get the benefits of the blood already spilled. If you do it now you may well avoid hurting yourself, or someone/something else.

https://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71

Thanks
Rick

Last edited by rdlohr; 02-23-2010 at 10:22 AM..
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
jgoodwin
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Too right. An ounce of prevention... Everyone should know the risks of both Nitro and Electric helicopters, and not just the risks while flying.

Jay
www.helichaos.com under construction?
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=grizzlyadams72
jgoodwin is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:42 AM   #3
joel0407
Registered Users

Yep, I see them as Wire Less brush cutters.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:25 PM   #4
slamdance
Registered Users

I've been flying for about two years with trex 450 and now trex 500(exclusively). I had a minor mishap with the 450 regarding my futaba tx failsafe, because I turned off the tx before disconnecting the power to heli. It spun up on me, and punched a few holes in my shins. However, with my 2nd heli, trex 500. Absolutely zero mishaps. I have actually flown the 500 exactly 2767 flights(as of today) with no safety mishaps. So, just to offer a few "obvious" tips that work for me at the field:
1.) Fully read/understand your tx failsafe settings. Best setting is the "do nothing" if tx signal is lost. Sometimes, we accidentally(brain farts) shut off tx before rx after landing.
2.) Create your own mental checklist during start and shut down.
3.) Concentrate. You're worst enemy(no offense to your buddy) is somebody "talking" to you while you are starting or stopping. I've done this myself, and I would totally understand if you stopped me from talking so you can concentrate.
4.) Always program your speed control to have "softstart". You will thank yourself for it. It gives you a few seconds to "catch" an accidental startup.
slamdance is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
Twisted Gyro
Registered Users

I started with air hogs and now have a trex 450. No doubt that when you start getting into the big boys it isnt that you want to know saftey. You NEED to know saftey because not only can these cause serious injury but death.
Twisted Gyro is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Nice Newbie
Registered Users

The Air Hogs can be deadly too. I was flying around the house and, as you noticed, they are not real controllable. I clipped my wife's African violet in bloom. Oh yea, the little ones can be dangerous too!
Nice Newbie is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
doug100856
Registered Users

Quote:
I have actually flown the 500 exactly 2767 flights(as of today) with no safety mishaps
That is awesome, great job.
The link is outstanding too.
I have electric and nitro abnd love them both. No question to me anyway, but though both require constant attention to detail the electrics in particular can really cause some problems with, especially so, new folks. It's amazed me how some of the really new folks show up,and we're glad to help. but lots of them have no idea just how easy they can get an electric heli to the grill with any sloppiness whatsoever. Doug
doug100856 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #8
gale155
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel0407 View Post
Yep, I see them as Wire Less brush cutters.
I view them as flying lawnmowers without anything shielding the blades.

I think the old saying "familiarity breeds contempt" is worth remembering in this hobby. I had a flight instructor (a retired Air Force fighter pilot) back in the early-70's who pounded that into me daily. I never forgot what he taught me, whether flying, driving or in police work, and it's probably why I'm alive today to type this.

These things can kill, and it's obviously wise never to ever forget that.
gale155 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
rdlohr
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Remember to check the safety forum fellas. It may save you some pain.
Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
garvin90
Registered Users

Default Re: Please visit the Safety Helicopter Forum...NOW

I'll attest to the small but deadly. I was at a buddies house several weeks ago and we had our micro quadcopters out doing circuits. Needless to say, I turned my attention away for a moment while in I was in a hover. In the split second I looked back, the ceiling high air vent had come on and the quad (with dual rate on full) came straight at my face. I came away with only a ½" cut in my nose. All from plastic blades no longer 2½" max. Could have been my eye instead.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
garvin90 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
Hotflight

very useful,great.
Hotflight is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
Gasturbine
Registered Users

Default Man killed by his RC heli

I think its funny the news writer referred to it as a "toy", but still the lesson...

http://www.christiantoday.com/articl...park/33865.htm
Gasturbine is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #13
darowden
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
I think its funny the news writer referred to it as a "toy", but still the lesson...

http://www.christiantoday.com/articl...park/33865.htm
liability insurance will go up to fly in that area for sure.
darowden is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:22 AM   #14
Willvabch
Registered Users

Default New Guy in VABCH

I have re.ad the safety topic
Willvabch is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #15
hawkman71
Registered Users

Even with a lot of stick time you can get caught out if lax with safety. I was once flying my Predator gasser around...got muddled up on a circuit so decided to do a 'go around' to get my orientation. Result was the heli flew between me and the sun, I got confused and almost had the heli flip over and come toward me. I was lucky getting the right orientation and saved a nasty accident from happening. Took a while for that near miss to sink into my mind.

Try not to fly on your own, especially with the big helis. I had to fly on my own all the time, pretty much, as no one else was interested in hanging about watching.

Battery checkers, don't trust them! they might be showing 'full' when in fact they are in a dangerous state of undercharge (this is for nitro/gasser/turbines) I had session once where the RX went into lockdown, throttle would cut to idle..still had servo movement so could initiate an Auto...heli would come down, RX would suddenly let the throttle back up. Did a circuit or two before realising it could be a batt issue.

I should fit a tandem Batt pack for IC powered machines, or even consider a 'Jewel' Generator for something with long flight times like a Gasser.

Never ever rush your preflight check and make darn sure gyro is actually on line, I have had them fail to initialize.

After your flying, a good detailed check of the Heli..check tighten all fasteners and give it a clean. Nothing worse than a nitro machine getting all gummed up. In short? Filthy Machine= filthy maintenance practices ie the owner doesn't give a shit and might be flying a deathtrap. I don't get concerned over lazy owners, its more the bystanders who could get badly hurt. This Hobby doesn't forgive fools.

Lastly, don't show off! if your skills are up to it that's fine, but anything risky and not rehearsed well could see you smashing your pride and joy....whoever you are impressing wont be offering you money to buy a new machine
hawkman71 is offline        Reply With Quote