Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters > 600 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

600 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 600 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
txheli15
Registered Users

Default Helioption main bearing block

My main bearings didn't survive a recent crash so I thought I'd replace them with the Helioption one piece main bearing block.

The S thrust bearings don't fit on the main shaft, they'll fit if I force them, but they are so tight the shaft can't rotate. I tried different shafts thinking maybe this one was a little out of spec, but its the same on 3 different shafts.

Anybody else had this problem?
Goblin 700 - RAWR!
txheli15 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Turttle
Registered Users

No problems here I run the helioption once peice bearing block set up on all my helis.Not sure if this would make a difference but the thrust bearing are marked for inner and outer along with a shim.Its possible its not pute togeather right and bearings are rubbing on the top retainer.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
flyinghigh450
Registered Users

My Trex 550 came with that bearing block...Soft metal and about had 3 tip overs from it..Tossed it in the trash and never had issues with the stock bearing blocks...
Old 06-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
J-S-Q
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghigh450 View Post
My Trex 550 came with that bearing block...Soft metal and about had 3 tip overs from it..Tossed it in the trash and never had issues with the stock bearing blocks...
How did it cause a tipover?

When I look at the design of this block, I do wonder why they chose to put the thrust bearings on the outside (right at the top and at the bottom). Seems like it would be better if they were in between the two radial bearings, which would make the radial bearings spaced further apart, and thus subject to slightly smaller radial loads from the main shaft. Hope I've explained that clearly!
J-S-Q is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
txheli15
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Turtle, you are correct, the thrust bearings are marked L and S, but it's not an assembly issue. It's the S bearing that's the problem, I've tried to put it on the shaft, just the bearing race and shaft, and it's so tight that it scratches the shaft when I force it on, and it takes a good bit of force.

The L bearing has an issue too. That's the one that goes in first (towards the center of the block), but it doesn't fit well either. It fits the shaft fine, but it's extremely tight in the block. I think I could force it in, but not sure if I could get it back out so I haven't tried forcing it in yet.
Goblin 700 - RAWR!
txheli15 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Turttle
Registered Users

I think mine was tight as it should be but it slid on.Possible to try to lube the shaft maybe.Its supposed to be a tight fit around the shaft.But yeah Idk as far as not fitting in the block itself.I know the mains are loctited in there but im pretty sure with mine they droped right in.Could be they used to much anodizing or just one out of 100 you got a defect as is with the nature of this hobby.

I also do not see how this bearing block would cause a tip over.The 3gx is the cause of that?My trex bearings were so notchy they didnt make it past 2 flights.This bearing block is light in design but its a one peice functional upgrade.Stiffend my frame up quite a bit because of its design.If it did cause a vibe then it was not shimed correctly.Ive been running it on the 500 with hundreds of flights with no issues.But there are those that are all about align products even though there bad rep and well known reported problems by the majority of the people who own them
Old 06-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
flyinghigh450
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turttle View Post
I also do not see how this bearing block would cause a tip over.The 3gx is the cause of that?My trex bearings were so notchy they didnt make it past 2 flights.This bearing block is light in design but its a one peice functional upgrade.Stiffend my frame up quite a bit because of its design.If it did cause a vibe then it was not shimed correctly.Ive been running it on the 500 with hundreds of flights with no issues.But there are those that are all about align products even though there bad rep and well known reported problems by the majority of the people who own them
Do some reading before taking pokes over and over at Align..Im not the only one that had issues with this cheap bearing block..The bearing block is made with soft Aluminum and when pushed hard,the bearings start working their way "into" the bearing block which allows the bearing to move around and get sloppy..Im sure if you asked before poking at Align,I had a "full size 5.3 Pro Vbar" on my Trex 550 ..Guys not having issues are ones not pushing the heli..You can sport fly and do easy 3D all day long but once you start doing hard stops,tictocs ect... as fast as you can,it jerks the crap out of the head/main shaft then starts smashing the soft bearing block..

Quote:
txheli15
How did it cause a tipover?
Almost tipped over..The first time it spun around and started to tip but I slammed the pitch al the way down to plant the skids..The 2nd and 3rd time I knew what to expect if it did it again which it did,just made sure I had neg pitch so it didn't go over..The first time it cracked the tail fin,broke both tail blades and took out the TT gear..No damage the 2nd and 3rd time..If I tried taking off right away,would of tipped over for sure and took out everything.

Vbar flipped out... (4 min 19 sec)

My Vbar is still flipping out ... (1 min 38 sec)

Vbar still flipping out pt1 (2 min 21 sec)

Tracking down Vbar issue.. (7 min 15 sec)

FYI turttle,take a close look at the last video so you'll see the bearing block and what FBL unit was on it..Heres the bearing block and you can clear as day see where the main shaft locking collar was rubbing the inside of the retainer VERY bad due to the slop..You can come on here and poke more if you want but anyone can see im not lying..I also replaced the upper/lower bearings,thats when I found out how crappy the metal is because the bearing fit very sloppy inside the bearing block.Them bearing blocks are soft and more of a down grade than anything..

Just because I fly for Align doesn't mean I go around trash talking other brands because I don't.I could care less what people use and if it works and that person is happy,thats all that matters..When its something I used and I know its crappy/not worth it,i'll let others know so they don't go through what I went through..If people wanna use this bearing block,make sure you keep a eye on it so you don't end up replacing $200.00 in crash parts..Or worse,have the heli flip out in your face if it gets off the ground..Might not turn out good for you or the heli..Just my personal experience and looking out for others..
Also,
This happend months before flying for Align and I also made threads about it...So its not like I just started talking about this bearing block..

Old 06-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
flyinghigh450
Registered Users

BTW,
Look at how bad it pushed up the aluminum,thats how soft it is..The bearings I took out when I replaced them were smooth..Even if the bearings got notchy,that should of never happend with good/quality aluminum..The bearings were smashing into the bearing block making the hole bigger,slop was the same with the new bearings so tossed the bearing block into the trash..
Ive been running the stock Align bearing blocks without any issues and the only time the bearings get notchy is after a crash.Run any bearing block you want but I wouldn't use that one...
Old 06-14-2013, 04:49 AM   #9
Turttle
Registered Users

Mine dont have locking callars.Im not poking.Ive been bouncing mine around pretty hard as far as tic tocs exc still all good.Not to say it wont wear out eventually but the main bearing are locktited in there pretty good and when all is tightend down there is no force on the outer caps.After seeing the damage on yours I did go threw and give mine a check.I can see where the alan screw from you lock collar did some damage.Also on mine my caps mount into a grove and sit flush with the bearing block yours look quite lifted like the bearings are not seated all the way.Maybe I have a newer disign idk but however I did give it a double look after you posted the pics.Yeah that alan scaping the cap Im sure would cause some fbl issues.But Im not a sponcored pilot.

Last edited by Turttle; 06-14-2013 at 02:25 PM..
Turttle is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
satgod
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i've been running there 1 piece bearing block for about a year with no issues
bearings are still in great shape
X-8 FPV Wing, TBS Discovery FPV, TBS Caipirinha FPV
satgod is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:46 PM   #11
Skeezix
Registered Users

Going to resurrect an old thread here. I am trying to find replacement bearings for this HeliOptions main shaft bearing block. Does anyone know where to get replacements or what size they are? HeliOptions discontinued the block a while ago and also stopped selling the replacement bearing kit.
I believe I have the V1. Also, if someone has one of these blocks they aren't using PM me as I may be interested in buying it.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #12
reichly
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
Going to resurrect an old thread here. I am trying to find replacement bearings for this HeliOptions main shaft bearing block. Does anyone know where to get replacements or what size they are? HeliOptions discontinued the block a while ago and also stopped selling the replacement bearing kit.
I believe I have the V1. Also, if someone has one of these blocks they aren't using PM me as I may be interested in buying it.

Thanks.
Have you tried Boca Bearings?