XK K110 repair question - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 100 Class Electric Helicopters

100 Class Electric Helicopters 100 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:34 PM   #1
Wild Steelhead
Registered Users

Default XK K110 repair question

So, somehow I managed to find a way to crash my 110 into a 1" metal bird feeder pole in my back yard. Quite impressive on my part, considering it was really the only thing that I could have hit to do damage...lucky me. Broke main gear and bearing in one of my blade grips. Luckily I had ordered an extra set of blade grips.

I was surprised how small the screws in the feathering shaft are. My question is whether I need to use loctite on these small little screws. I know one was very hard to get out, but couldn't see any evidence that there was loctite on it. Thanks for your input.
Wild Steelhead is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:39 PM   #2
Wargamer
Registered Users

Hi WIld - You will definitely want to loctite those. (Don't ask me how I know.)
Old 08-09-2016, 03:54 PM   #3
Wild Steelhead
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Vibration

Hi,
I've been trying to get this up flying again (in amongst a ton of activity on the work/homefront) but have a problem I need help with. I replaced the broken bearings in the blade grips. The feathering shaft appeared unbent. However, when I put it together and spooled it up for take off it has a wicked vibration and wants to tip over. I held it in the air by the skids and spooled it up and you could see the main shaft vibrating out of round. As in the top of the shaft at the head would rotate out about 1/4 inch!!! I then pulled the main shaft and it is not bent.

What should I look for next? Servos don't seem stripped and everything else looks ok. New to these, so not sure my next step. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
BrokeDad
Registered Users

Has the bearing ring popped out of the swash plate ? This happens a lot in crashes. Just pop it back in.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
Wild Steelhead
Registered Users

Not sure I can tell. It looks ok and rotates very smoothly.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #6
BrokeDad
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Steelhead View Post
Not sure I can tell. It looks ok and rotates very smoothly.
It's a big metal ring with bearings inside that sits in the swash plate around the main shaft. It's pretty obvious when they pop out.

Here is the part:

http://www.banggood.com/XK-K100-K110...-p-992592.html

Main gears are notorious for crash damage but usually they break teeth or crack and don't bend.

C'mon folks .. I know you are out there who have more than my 6 months experience.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #7
Wild Steelhead
Registered Users

It looks to be intact.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:54 PM   #8
Wargamer
Registered Users

There are two bearings seated in the pilon of the airframe that the main shaft goes through. If the one at the top of the pilon popped out, it could cause what you describe.

If the bearings are correctly seated, maybe you have a crack in the airframe that you haven't spotted - although that would be really unusual damage.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:13 AM   #9
Wild Steelhead
Registered Users

So didn't see anything wrong with frame or bearings, but noticed the main gear was cracked going down a rib, but not at the teeth. I replaced the main gear and on a quick spool up it didn't seem to jump all over with bad vibrations. However, I could not fully spool up, because as I did it would tilt over to the right and tip over fully if I didn't back off on throttle. It never had this issue before the crash.

Also, after I bind, I see that the red light and blue light next to each other appear to both be lit solid. Should that be the case?

Any help to get back flying smoothly would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2016, 11:19 PM   #10
pilotmotor
Registered Users

i only have experiance with the v977 so i cant help you with the blue light as it dont have one.
Its important to make sure the main gear is up all the way on the main shaft with no up and down play at all . That will stop the blades from changing pitch on there own and vibrating like crazy.
Its also easy to check the head axle by removing one blade and spinning the axle with a phillips screwdriver while holding both blade grips . You will feel the grips wobble if its bent.
I also check blade ballance by removing the main gear and holding the heli on its side with the blades both pulled straight out. You can use a straight edge for this but i just use the edge of the kitchen table. I almost always have to add tape to one blade . Let me know if any of this is helpfull
pilotmotor is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #11
bazsound
Registered Users

Ive never loctited the feathering shaft on my v977. didnt know you were meant to or if it was nessesary until a few weeks ago,

yet ive never had a feathering shaft let go, everytime i replace the feathering shaft its as tight as it was when i last replaced it. Anyway its usually a good idea to loctite metal into metal screws, as vibration can vibrate them loose

have you checked your servos? these can break in a bad crash if you do not do the servo saver mod, use throttle to check they all move up and down smoothly and all at the same time/same amount.

check swash is still level, if you do the servo saver mod you need to resest the servo arms as they will shift.

If the virbation is exceessive it will uspset the gyro and cause exactly that, so someting isnt right..

the frames on these seem to break just under where the servo tray screws into the frame, but it never seemed to bother my heli much ( slight lose of power but it flew)
bazsound is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:56 AM   #12
Wild Steelhead
Registered Users

Default Video of vibration issue attached

Hi,

I still have not been able to find the reason for the vibration. I'll attempt to post a short video I made of spooling up the heli, and you can see the vibrations. At the end, when I raise the throttle a little more it seems to settle, but then the heli, just cuts out and stops working, and makes some beeps.

Would really appreciate any ideas on this. I've looked and don't see any cracks or breaks in the unit.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: mov XK K110 Vibration video.MOV (2.34 MB, 61 views)
Old 11-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #13
BladeScraperz
Registered Users

I'm awaiting my k110 but I will try and help if possible. I have had a mcpx bl for awhile. Last time I had bad vibrations, I actually had a bent main grip arm. It was hard to tell but it was bent, straightened it out(metal version) and got rid of most of the vibes. Another thing you can check for if the top main shaft bearing is notchy, that will cause vibes. Tweaked main hub will cause vibes. If the main shafts is carbon, twist it to see if it cracked. Check to see if your tail motor shafts is bent. Check that your plastic main blades are not bent. Sometimes it can be a combination of things. I couldn't download the video and hard to tell by not seeing it in person. My advice is to check everything starting from the nose and work your way back. Once you learn that bird it becomes a pretty quick diagnose/fix operation. I remember that I once had a bent main motor shaft in my 130x that took sometime to diagnose. Let us know what you find or closer clues to what it might be and I'll try to help.
BladeScraperz is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:27 PM   #14
BladeScraperz
Registered Users

Since you just removed the spindle make sure your grips are moving freely, loctite or tightened down to much will cause notchy grip bearings that cause vibes What I usually like to do is remove the blades/feathering shaft and grips but leave the hub and spool it up in hand and feel for vibes, a lot of times that will shorten the diagnosis
BladeScraperz is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #15
Wild Steelhead
Registered Users

Hi,

I'm still having the problem of wicked vibrations, and now as I spool up it seems to cut itself off and make some beeping sounds. I have s video of it. Does anyone know how to post a video to a reply?

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #16
Thickfog
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Steelhead View Post
Hi,

I'm still having the problem of wicked vibrations, and now as I spool up it seems to cut itself off and make some beeping sounds. I have s video of it. Does anyone know how to post a video to a reply?

Thanks.
Post it on YouTube then copy the link from YouTube here.
Have you checked to see of the feathering shaft is bent?

Just take one blade off and use a screwdriver to spin the little feathering shaft screw. You will see the blade grips wobble out of sync with each other if the feathering shaft is bent.
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #17
ridge-runner
Registered Users

Firstly, for ALL helis...

ALWAYS USE THREADLOCKER ON THE SPINDLE SHAFT BOLTS!

Secondly... about your vibe problem...

Are you sure that you have 2 main bearings? A missing lower bearing causes the sort of behavior you are seeing.

(The bottom one sometimes gets ejected along with the main gear on a crash.)

If not this, to start the troubleshooting process, try removing the main blades, spin her up and see if the vibration disappears or remains.

Note that for troubleshooting, it is very handy to have at least one known-good spare to use for comparison purposes (if you can afford it). When I ordered my 1st K110 RTF, I ordered 2 BNF spares to go along with it. (This allows me to always have at least one flyable heli. If one goes down, I set it aside for repairs and fly the next one in line (while waiting for parts ordered to repair the borken one.)
ridge-runner is offline        Reply With Quote