After a month of trials, finally got TREX 100 to fly well - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 100 Class Electric Helicopters

100 Class Electric Helicopters 100 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2016, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default After a month of trials, finally got TREX 100 to fly well

I tried all kinds of things like oiling the motors, and cycling the batteries, but today I drenched both motors with brushed motor cleaner.

It finally flew perfect. I know people have been replacing the motors at short intervals, but the motor cleaner rejuvenated the heli. It was finally great to fly and I got some nice long flights.

What had been happening is that it would start a death spiral after just a minute or so on the battery. It couldn't run a battery down much at all before it became un-flyable.

Seems like the problem was more the main motor drawing too much current causing symptoms in the tail motor.

Either way, this thing is now a blast to fly. The tail holds perfect now, even with full throttle.
ic-racer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2016, 10:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice, glad you finally got to enjoy flying it.

One of the first things rc helis taught me is the harder fought the battle, the sweeter the victory.
Mini Protos 6s stretch×3/Chase360/Trex450 sport v2dfc/SK540's/180cfx/300cfx/V977/Rochobby MXS 3d v2/Rochobby Nemesis NXT/RareBear funfighter620mm/Asking someone else what's best for you makes no sense. Do your homework and decide for yourself
learnedthehardway is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twenty flights later it is still running awesome. Both motors are very strong and the tail holds perfect all the way to the end of the battery.

I used to race brushed motors so I have some theories of why some people have a bad experience with the TREX 100.

The brushes may not be making good contact when the motor is assembled, and in the process of flying, they don't break-in well. Perhaps leaving carbon deposits so the motor gets slower, rather than better, as it is used.

Or perhaps oil got on the commutator or brushes during assembly.

Either way, my 100 now runs like it has had a proper break-in and and both motors are very strong and I expect many, many excellent flights before the brushes wear out.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would be curious to see the insides of a Trex 100 motor.

The Blade micro motors I have torn apart have no brush material in them, just a pair of wire whiskers against the armature.

If the Rex ones have a brush in them, I would be surprised.

HW.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes I have seen those in little beeper/vibrator motors like in micro RC cars. Don't know if just a wire to com contact would be sufficient for the main motor but I'm more familiar with HO slot car motors that do have tiny brushes.

If the Trex 100's 160mAh battery discharges 140 mA in a 3.5 min flight, that would be about 2.2 amps which seems like a lot for a motor without proper brushes.

I'll want to open a TREX motor and see the com if it fails.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just to continue the discussion. I found this image with an internet search. No idea which micro heli it is from but the picture is said to be from a micro heli motor. It shows a coreless motor with simple metal 'brushes.'

The context of the picture was a discussion of the need or lack of need to 'break-in' these motors.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Some more searching lead me to a fellow HF poster that opened up a bad motor and found:

Quote:
My pictures show a genuine stock motor without any additional oiling. The goo is original.
The question is not weather to oil or not. This is a mechanical failure which cannot be prevented by simply adding oil.
https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...51&postcount=6
Old 08-12-2016, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is what I use as "motor spray" just so no one mistakes what I did for "com drops" which are different.

So, it seems to me that some of the T-Rex 100 motors may come from the factory with oil or goo on or near the com. Spraying with something like that CRC cleaner can fix it.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The second picture looks like the main motor in the Blade Nano CPX.

The wire ''brushes'' actually wear groves in the armature causing them to fail.

Lubricating seems to be a viable solution, but how much more life will one get out of the motors?

Be careful with automotive brake cleaners and plastic parts. I have melted plastics on older German made copters, I.E. Schluter helis.

Just a heads up.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Update on my T-rex 100. I finally wore out the main motor and the tail motor and replaced both. The new motors work fine without the need of any motor cleaner.

I have many, many flights on this little guy.

I never did replace the main board and servos as my servo repair from the summer is still holding fine.

I was thinking of getting a second T-rex 100, for back to back flying so one motor can cool between flights.

Instead I ordered a HiSky 60. I am anticipating alternating flying between the two.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.