Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Multirotor Safety and ethics

Multirotor Safety and ethics General Multirotor Safety and proper flying ethical conduct

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How do you judge 400' ?

Just realized I have no idea how high 400 feet looks from the ground. Any tips or pointers? Could I even see my 200 qx from that far?
Vermiform is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2015, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

I guess you can say that an average building is about 10-12 feet per floor, so it would be around the height of an average 30-40 story building. I have altitude telemetry on my QAV400 so I've done that experiment with it hovering at 400 feet. At that height I can barely make it out and most certainly wouldn't be able to keep orientation without FPV, so a 200 sized quad is going to be essentially invisible at that height from the ground.

If you Google "list of tallest buildings in [your city]" there are some good Wikipedia articles that list buildings by height for reference.

One Congress Plaza in Austin, TX is 390 feet.

The Ashton apartment building it Austin, TX is 412 feet tall.

The Spring in Austin, TX is 433 feet.

Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

So a rule of thumb for my 200qx quad and smaller (and my aging eyes) is that as long as I can see it enough to maintain orientation, I should be ok.

I guestimate my visual hard ceiling is going to be about 200 then.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

That sounds like a reasonable rule of thumb. I don't think you'll have to worry about it with craft that small. I also fly a 2 meter sailplane and even it gets pretty small up there at 400 feet.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post
That sounds like a reasonable rule of thumb. I don't think you'll have to worry about it with craft that small. I also fly a 2 meter sailplane and even it gets pretty small up there at 400 feet.
Thanks Tejas. Appreciate the quick response.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would say that if you find yourself saying "man that thing is getting pretty small" and your squinting at it, you should come back down...

I think that's fairly independent of the size of the heli too.

Think about the size of even a 700 or 800, and how it's smaller than (I'll even give you that it's the same size as) one of those buildings' windows. Try to maintain orientation now...

Here's a rework of one of the buildings in Austin with a 700e sized somewhat appropriately. I think I'm even being generous, scale wise, and it's on a white background... Granted, it gets a little pixelated...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 400ft_heli.jpg (132.8 KB, 76 views)

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2015, 07:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

Hehe....Nice. A+ for effort.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Geofencing. On my F450 with Naza M V2, I simply set a 400' ceiling. I have never taken it to that height though. Even with all the lighting it gets hard to see orientation above 200. Since I added FPV it's easier, but I still haven't maxed out altitude because the QX made me paranoid about wind at altitude.

The right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Psywarrior is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2015, 05:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup. FPV especially with an OSD would make things much simpler.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

A calibrated and working telemetry GPS elevation setup.

I think the 400 feet limitation was intended for FPV pilots with GPS and telemetry capability.

As with most of the knowledge in the world they leave super specific details out and leave it be. The afterlife is the biggest most important one.

It's my responsibility to make sure it works and know what could go wrong despite what everyone else is saying because they do not see what I foresee.
AntDX316 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2016, 08:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

If you're talking about an altitude cap, In the naza v2 and the Phantoms above the Phantom one, has that in the set up. When the barometer reads where the cap is set, it just won't go any higher.

As for good ol mark I eyeballs my rule of thumb is when it appears to be the size of a soda can end, that's plenty high enough. I have an Estes rocket altimeter that I strapped to the leg of a Phantom. I flew up to what I though what different altitudes and checked what the altimeter read out. After about 50 flights I learned what my gals look like from different altitudes.
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in