Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 470 Class Electric Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How is the stock ESC holding up?

Hey all!
I just bought a 470LM wanted to know how is the stock ESC holding up (few threads talking about it)? I plan to get a phase sensor for it and run it with ikon gov. But not sure if I should get a HW60 instead?

Also do I need to run two satellites on it or is one enough? (DSMX)

Thanks all.
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2017, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have no problem with the ESC, but I only have about 50 flights on mine.

I would not fly a heli with just one satellite, but lots of people do. If your FBL supports two, use two! The cost of the extra satellite is tiny compared to the potential crash cost.
Personally I use a real receiver plus satellite.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You probably read that mine died in an earlier thread... LM kit and about 40 flights. It was flying pretty well but noticed the esc was always very hot.

Gear mesh and belt tightness were not issues loading the motor but I did run in governor mode using external sensor.

I just wonder if the esc prefers to run 100% flat curve and anything else causes it to cook. Anyway I just ordered the HW 60v4.

I'm running the ar7700 full receiver with satellite.

[Trex 600N, V-Bar] [Trex 450ProV2, 3Gx] [Trex 470LM Microbeast Plus]
squibcakes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run the 85-70-85 curve suggested in the manual with no issues.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by squibcakes View Post
You probably read that mine died in an earlier thread... LM kit and about 40 flights. It was flying pretty well but noticed the esc was always very hot.

Gear mesh and belt tightness were not issues loading the motor but I did run in governor mode using external sensor.

I just wonder if the esc prefers to run 100% flat curve and anything else causes it to cook. Anyway I just ordered the HW 60v4.

I'm running the ar7700 full receiver with satellite.
I will be running two DSMX sats on the ikon 2 then. But I was playing with idea of running phase sensor and ikon gov, my only concern being that it will die as it might run not like being run at too low of TH value.
I guess I will just get the 60 v4 and sell the align ESC then. Still I think it will be good to hear more people post their experience with Align ESC.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

cant really find much info on the esc even on aligns site. but it has an internal governer so it must have atleast passive freewheeling.

has anyone measured the current demands of a typical flight. the esc seems pretty hefty so it seems strange they are overheating and shutting down or failing complelthy
bazsound is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I opened mine up, the two heat sinks only held in place by the heat shrink on each end. Anyway, one of the FETs had clearly cooked and left its mark.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I opened mine up, the two heat sinks only held in place by the heat shrink on each end. Anyway, one of the FETs had clearly cooked and left its mark.
Do you have any pictures, curious on what it looks like. Sounds like there is no heat transfer pads or compound which makes that heat-sink next to worthless ( it might feel warm, but the FETs are near they max rating temp)
Old 05-15-2017, 04:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe some people have been getting ESC's that having been rushed of the factory line with heatpaist/pad missing.

Might be worwhile to check esc's and redo it if nessesary.

https://www.ecalc.ch/helicalc.php

not sure how accurate this is, kind of limited on the numbers you can put in. its a task trying to find a motor that is 1800kv (you only have access to some motors without paying) but its throwing up a max of about 40A.

So im guessing with the flights some people are putting through there heli the ESC is maxed out.
bazsound is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 04:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mine def. had the heat transfer pads fitted. I'm away on business atm but will try to post next week since you are curious.

Last edited by squibcakes; 05-25-2017 at 03:06 AM..
Old 05-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just following up.

I fitted the HW60v4 and wow what a difference compare to the Align RCE-BL50X!

The HW is lighter and smaller all round so makes fitting so much better. (The motor bullet connectors are bigger btw)

In flight, compared to the Align, it does not run hot (in fact barely even warm), and the heli has just come alive. I can see now that the servos are moving better in flight (both esc's set at 6.0V). So the align bec is rubbish in comparison too.

The soft start on the HW is buttery smooth compared to the align esc.

So my crash caused by the faulty align esc has been blessing in disguise!

Old 05-28-2017, 08:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Just following up.

I fitted the HW60v4 and wow what a difference compare to the Align RCE-BL50X!

The HW is lighter and smaller all round so makes fitting so much better. (The motor bullet connectors are bigger btw)

In flight, compared to the Align, it does not run hot (in fact barely even warm), and the heli has just come alive. I can see now that the servos are moving better in flight (both esc's set at 6.0V). So the align bec is rubbish in comparison too.

The soft start on the HW is buttery smooth compared to the align esc.

So my crash caused by the faulty align esc has been blessing in disguise!
Are you running stock servos DS450/455s? If so set the BEC to 8 V that will really help them out. I found that even at 7.4 V the servos do not have as much torque and hold strength as at 8V ( I have not flow mine at this voltage yet but should be interesting)
Old 05-28-2017, 08:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah, just running stock servos at 6.0V.

I believe they are good for 8.40V so I'll try a higher voltage to see. I just don't want to cook them at the higher voltage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in