Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > OpenTX Radios

OpenTX Radios OpenTX Radios Discussion and Support Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 09:07 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWeber View Post
Can you do a write up or is it just ridiculously hard?
You beat me to asking that! I've already started looking up the AVR programmer and what that entails. It can't be any harder than programming a multiwii flight controller with Arduino, can it? (remember those???)

Right now I've got a Taranis with the hack module, and a Futaba T6J to fly my XK K110 heli. I'd love to combine it all in one, probably one of the new Taranis QX7 versions.
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
I've compiled code and flashed esc chips before and it's not hard unless you have to solder or attach to the chip to flash it. Does the multiprotocol module have a port to plug into to flash?
Old 01-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

This one actually says S-FHSS in the description

http://www.banggood.com/CC2500-NRF24...p-1116892.html

But the form factor looks wrong.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The photos are of the Futaba-style module. JR is available, but out of stock.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

I missed that. It does say that the FrSky version is in stock. Now I'm more confused because I always thought that FrSky was equivalent to JR.

If that one would work, then I think I'm going to order one today and get it in a month.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The JR-style is what the Taranis uses. Not sure what the FrSky one would be?
Old 01-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I was thinking of doing just that, but realistically I won't ever find time (I need to release my TaraniJuke freeware first - its been on my to-do list for a couple years now - lol).

That said, this YouTube was very helpful:
Updating BangGood 4in1 multi protocol tx module firmware frsky taranis turnigy 9xr pro (16 min 53 sec)

And here's the "horse's mouth" Github page:
DIY-Multiprotocol-TX-Module (GitHub)

Also check the (long) RCGroups forum thread:
DIY Multiprotocol TX Module (RCGroups)

About the AVR programmer
Here's a link to the AVR programmer that I used: USBtinyISP AVR ISP Programmer Bootloader USB Download Interface. With this one, you need to remove the jumper because the MM CPU is 3.3V and if you leave the jumper on, it will fry the module (the jumper tells the programmer to supply 5V to the card being programmed). Thus, when programming the MM using this card, the MM needs to be powered up separately (I used the Taranis as a power supply with the MM plugged in and the active model set to use PPM mode for the external RF module). When ready to program the red LED on the MM should be blinking (and it goes steady while being programmed - and its also steady when the Taranis is actively using it in serial mode).

The MM comes with six holes pre-drilled to receive a 2X3 header which you need to solder on in order to plug in the 6-wire programming cable. So your shopping list should include some header pins.

Note that I used the Arduino IDE to do the MM code editing and compiling, but used AVRDUDE.exe directly to program the .HEX file (Intel format) into the MM. (For some reason I couldn't get the Arduino IDE to do burn the firmware without verification errors.)

Regarding the linked (USBtinyISP) AVR programmer - this is a pretty common device and you can very likely find one available much closer than China! (Google: "USBtiny 3.3V target") Adafruit has a kit you can build yourself (which I also ordered but ended up not needing), or I'm sure you can find one on Amazon or fleabay. Note that the programmer I used was a "USBtinyISP" but there are other programmers that will also supposedly work - e.g. "USBASP" (the guy in the linked video uses this one). Just make sure that the one you use works for 3.3V target devices.

It sounds as though some of you may already have all the necessary ingredients!
ridge-runner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2017, 10:11 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got mine in yesterday, but BG sent the wrong AVR programmer. The one they sent is only 5v. Ack. Just ordered one from Amazon Prime. Should be here by Friday.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:50 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpod View Post
I'm thinking about picking up the Blade 130S bnf. I've looked at the different options to use the taranis with it and I'm a little unsure about what will work best. Is the orange module the best way to go or one of the hacks?
Did anyone ever actually fly the 130s with the taranis or the q x7 using the banggood multi protocol module.

I already have the module. It's soldered for serial and seems to be working. I want to pick up at 130s, but I need to know for sure that I can fly it with my q x7.

If anyone has made it work, do you have an eepe file or at least some screen shots of how you set it all up?

Thanks!
kd123 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2017, 03:35 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have a 130s but I've flown other Blade micros with the Taranis and the banggood module. It works just as well as a Spektrum TX, but a lot more flexible since it's OpenTX.
jarhart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd123 View Post
Did anyone ever actually fly the 130s with the taranis or the q x7 using the banggood multi protocol module.

I already have the module. It's soldered for serial and seems to be working. I want to pick up at 130s, but I need to know for sure that I can fly it with my q x7.

If anyone has made it work, do you have an eepe file or at least some screen shots of how you set it all up?

Thanks!
I just did. I got the 130s with rtf controller which sucked horribly. I upgraded my taranis to the m9 gimbals and the multi module last weekend and finally got it bound to the 130s in dsmx 11ms 7 channel mode with everything working. I had to update companion to 2.2, check multi module, and flash new firmware. My multi module came already soldered so I just put it in set up everything and now it's flying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170512_185307.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	707226   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170512_185323.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	707227  
Old 05-14-2017, 04:16 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I built a hack module using the radio module from a cheap dx5e from ebay. I mostly did this to get proper model match functionality back.
RCHN #637
smiler.se is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpod View Post
I just did. I got the 130s with rtf controller which sucked horribly. I upgraded my taranis to the m9 gimbals and the multi module last weekend and finally got it bound to the 130s in dsmx 11ms 7 channel mode with everything working. I had to update companion to 2.2, check multi module, and flash new firmware. My multi module came already soldered so I just put it in set up everything and now it's flying.
When you say that you had to flash new firmware, do you mean you flashed the new firmware to your transmitter or to your module? Updating the firmware on the module looks complicated for a non-tech newbie like me. But I'm willing to tackle it if it means I can fly a 130s with the taranis q x7.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
When you say that you had to flash new firmware, do you mean you flashed the new firmware to your transmitter or to your module? Updating the firmware on the module looks complicated for a non-tech newbie like me. But I'm willing to tackle it if it means I can fly a 130s with the taranis q x7.
Flashing new firmware with multi module checked was for the taranis using opentx2.2 companion.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:50 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought the Blade 130s today and successfully bound it to my Taranis qx7 with the banggood 4 in 1.

However, I clearly did not program the radio right for the 130 because the controls did not work at all. At first, I had no movement. Then, a minute or so after binding, throttle spooled up and the heli took off across the kitchen floor before I could catch it and disconnect the battery. Lost a linkage rod and small cut on hand was only damage. But man! scary!

So... does anyone have a .bin or .eepe file of your setup for the Blade 130s? Or any advice on setup/programming in the radio? I followed the basic guidelines listed in parts 1, 2, and 3 here(http://open-txu.org/home/special-interests/helicopter/), only tweeking some of the specific numbers to my liking. No Good for the 130s!

Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 05-21-2017, 12:23 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I bought the Blade 130s today and successfully bound it to my Taranis qx7 with the banggood 4 in 1.

However, I clearly did not program the radio right for the 130 because the controls did not work at all. At first, I had no movement. Then, a minute or so after binding, throttle spooled up and the heli took off across the kitchen floor before I could catch it and disconnect the battery. Lost a linkage rod and small cut on hand was only damage. But man! scary!

So... does anyone have a .bin or .eepe file of your setup for the Blade 130s? Or any advice on setup/programming in the radio? I followed the basic guidelines listed in parts 1, 2, and 3 here(http://open-txu.org/home/special-interests/helicopter/), only tweeking some of the specific numbers to my liking. No Good for the 130s!

Any help greatly appreciated!
I used a file that P.I.Engineer posted here and then made changes to it to put things on the switches that I wanted. It's only got 1 throttle curve which is all I want with the 130s and that's the max.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=711536
Old 10-10-2018, 05:54 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi guys!
I made a hack module with a dx5e module.. and without the R2.
I use a Taranis Plus 2.2.1 version, external module dsm2 dsmx CH1-6

But, I'm not able to bind with my inductrix and my 200qx....

Any ideas?
Thanks a lot!
ursus69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

FWIW I thought about doing the same thing. Ended up deciding I didn't want to cannibalize my Spektrum radio so I ordered this from Rick @ Radiocontronics: https://radiocontronics.com/products...=8405233631287. It's a little pricey but it can be ordered with or without the case and it can be ordered with or without a Spektrum module installed. Also has a basic antenna included if ordered with the module installed. I ordered one w/o the case and it dropped right into my X9E and connected to my Fusion 270 instantly after putting both the RX and TX in bind mode. While I enjoy tinkering with electronics this was just easier and faster for me.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus69 View Post
Hi guys!
I made a hack module with a dx5e module.. and without the R2.
I use a Taranis Plus 2.2.1 version, external module dsm2 dsmx CH1-6

But, I'm not able to bind with my inductrix and my 200qx....

Any ideas?
Thanks a lot!
I reviewed my dx6i transmitter module, and the rf module is a dx6i_E module....
I can't bind with my inductrix...
The dx6i_e module is compatible??
Thanks!
ursus69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in