Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lightbulb Questions on transitioning to 450 pro from smaller heli

Hello all,

I been having a lot of fun with learning on these fun little helis and the most powerful heli I have in my fleet is the new mcpx BL. It's fun and I am learning a lot from it, and the first heli to feel the power of a brushless motor. I also have the mcpx v2 and going from that to the BL, it's an incredible difference. I fly amazingly better on my new BL with the extra power it packs. Anyway, while I am still learning, practicing orientations, circles, and such, my attention lately has been directed a lot to the 450 pro DFC in the future.

It came that way when I went with my friend to a flying field, and saw everybody there had a 450 or higher there and a few with Goblins. I asked if anybody flies Blade 450x and higher, but it was a big no...

I have no clue what the setup is involved for the Align series helis, but I think the perk from Blade is the stuff is already assembled (and cheaper priced) and the Align stuff isn't and assembly required and pay more?? Is that correct?

For fun, I did look up what I think I'd need to start the venture into the Align 450 pro DFC world, and you guys tell me. What is the starter stuff I need to get going? My TX is a DX8.

This is what I found...
Align T-REX 450 PRO DFC Super Combo - comes with the 3gx flybarless system, which from what I hear, you guys simply just sell off and typically buy a AR7200bx?

Now I see they sell those with or without Satellite? is Sat important?

For battery, 11.1V 2200mah 25c 3cell battery for more sport flying and 1800mah for more aggressive 3D? again just from reading around. (not sure what are the recommended brands to buy, so feel free to chime in on the recommended make of battery and amount of mah.

Says a digital pitch gauge is needed. - no brainer there, I saw it's a relatively cheap thing to buy from Align.

Next, dumb question since I really don't know, is a AR7010 7 channel DSMX receiver needed? or with having the AR7200bx cover that so this part isn't needed?

Is this all the things I'd need to have everything I need to work on this project to make it into a flying helicopter one day? My friend told me it's quite a lot of work and could take me weeks to complete. He said something like building a model airplane but being able to fly it afterwards.

Again didn't know if that was true as again I have no experience in this dept. I am only used to the Blade models that you buy, you bind it, you set the TX settings from the manual, a few spot checks for anything loose , test hover, make sure everything is good and off it flies.

I imagine moving to this world it's a world of different things to do and check before getting it all going in the air.

Thank you all for your time and reading this, it will be exciting one day to be able to advance to this and really experience true flight.

mCPX BL, BL nano, 300x, TREX 450 Pro DFC, Spektrum Dx9, iCharger 206B
dragon79 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Questions on transitioning to 450 pro from smaller heli

It will fly significantly bigger and more stable than you are used to. That being said, a 450 is still a small heli.

The heli can be set up in a couple hours tops (450 Pro V2 or DFC). You can easily be flying the same day as assembly if you had the time (i think 4hrs is a good estimate, faster as you get more experienced, slower if you take your time)

Make sure you get quality tools. MIP Thorp are my recommendations. Digital Pitch gauge is not required but is very nice to have.

Batts generally 2200 3S for a 450. If you go 6S later, itll be 1200-1300.

AR7200BX is great over a 3GX. Also incorperates a reciever built in so you can fly it just like that. You can add a DSMX remote reciever (Satellite) for a bit more coverage, but isnt needed on a 450 Size (BX advises sat's on 500+ sizes). Any other FBL unit requires a seperate reciever , which means more wiring and parts.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Questions on transitioning to 450 pro from smaller heli

I should add that i also owned a 450X prior to my Tarot Pro V2 (Equal quality to Align but cheaper). My 450 easily flys better and more precise than my old blade. Downside to blade was all the crappy plastic frame work...just not solid feeling during harder flying.

Also dont feel discouraged to assemble helis yourself. Gives you a lot more experience for repairs in a crash, and is a confidence booster for maidens, knowing you personally assembled everything per the manual vs assuming someone did it correctly for you.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nice! Much appreciated. Wow my friend must really take his time when making his, he gave me an ETA of weeks to do, lol

Friend also mentioned problems with DX8 controller on this particular heli? True of false? I did notice people were using JR or Futaba in the field, but just checking if mine would be fine out there with the 450.

As far as a complete toolset, you mentioned brand name. There a website you order your sets from? I googled it, and it showed me like one hex tool, but I imagine there is a toolset of all diff sizes?

I guess that could lead into what other things I'd need like "lubricants, cleaners, loctite blue, etc"

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, this greatly helps me with giving me an idea of how this would all work out, and again I have no problem to attempt the build myself. I work with computers and laptops in my line of work, so I'm used to working with small parts/screws and dis assembly and reassembly. =D

Old 03-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Friend also mentioned problems with DX8 controller on this particular heli? True of false?

False. The DX8 is the perfect Tx to have for what you are flying and for future bigger helis. From my sig you can see i fly almost the same helis as you and bigger - no problems at all.
Clinton1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton1 View Post
Friend also mentioned problems with DX8 controller on this particular heli? True of false?

False. The DX8 is the perfect Tx to have for what you are flying and for future bigger helis. From my sig you can see i fly almost the same helis as you and bigger - no problems at all.
Got it! So next on my list, go kick friend in the ass! Thanks guys for the input!!

Old 03-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
DPW
Registered Users

Cool

Clinton1 is right on the money about that Dx8
On board telementary is the best out there and the biggest plus:
Model programs
If you have a 450 or blade or even a old Honey Bee you don't have to program the Dx8. Just find and download a model and load the download into your Dx8.
You may have to tweak the model but it will be very close to what you need to fly your bird.
Dx8 is a Hot Tx!

Last edited by DPW; 03-23-2013 at 10:04 PM..
DPW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I made this same transition. You won't be disappointed.
hydro_pyro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

450 v2 is an amazing heli!! I love mine, just take your time with mechanical setup!! Goodluck!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in