Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2019, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail wag with SQ gyro & DS520

Hi, my Blade 400 has a Spartan Quark gyro and Align DS520 tail servo. I have to set the gyro at a very low HH rate to prevent the tail wagging, and it has very little tail authority.

I use a Dx7S with a 100-0-100 gyro scale and the gyro is set at only +12, that's equivalent to 56 on a 0-50-100 scale used on other Tx. It's only just holding the tail, if I go below +10 (55) it starts to piro. I think it should be around +30 (65), but the tail wags like crazy.

Any tips on how to diagnose, or common causes?
Andrew73 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Swapped out the tail shaft and fitted new tail blades and it's slightly better but not much.

Managed to blow the external CC BEC today, luckily it was on the deck. There was some resistance to the main blades turning which went away later, very odd. I'm wondering if the grease I put on the main shaft got sticky in the cold weather?

Anyhow it's getting a bit long in the tooth now, maybe time for a new heli...
Old 12-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Some of the parts are near impossible to find now like the main shaft and tail spindle. You can make other stuff work if you want the hassle of modifying it but yeah .. best idea is to move on to something else. Mine will fly until I run out of parts for the last one airworthy.
BrokeDad is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2019, 04:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is my favorite heli. I have converted most to FBL but the remaining 1 with Gyro is a Quark. Running at + 36 on the Dx7s. Holds very nicely but I dont do any heavy/hard flying.
Is there any mod for the tail spindle?? It is the 1 item that I am light on 1 spare left plus a few others in helis.
Maturecruiser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

+36? Something must be seriously bent on mine.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Stripped it all down and found a rough bearing in the tail slider, that might be causing the tail wobble.

Is there a budget motor upgrade for this heli? Was thinking of fitting a new Eflite 440H but they're not cheap.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was talking to a friend last week about motor replacement/upgrade. He has ordered 1 from Banggood at a huge cost of $A12. And supposedly identical specs. Here the 440 motor is $A55.
Maturecruiser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2019, 10:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

So far I replaced the tail blades, tail shaft, tail slider, tail pulley gear, tail shaft bearings and main shaft bearings, and lubed everything.

Symptoms - When spooled up with the main gear, main shaft, tail belt and tail shaft connected (i.e. head and tail removed), the tail servo constantly jitters. It stays mostly still if just the main gear and main shaft are connected.

(ETA: I tested it with the gyro suspended away from the heli and it works perfectly, no jitter whatsoever, so the gyro/servo are ok. The gyro foam pad is quite old so I'll try a new thicker pad)

Does anyone know if the tail pulley gear upper bearing can be removed without splitting the frame? Can it be hooked out?

I've got a Scorpion HKII-2213-14 motor to try next, if I can figure out how to put a flat spot on the shaft for the pinion.

Last edited by Andrew73; 12-21-2019 at 10:54 AM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in