Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Mechanics

Mechanics Mechanics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 450 size multi blade rotor head speed

What is a good head speed for a 450 size 5 blade rotor head.
Keyrigger, I trust your knowlage.
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I'm sure others will have some thoughts, too, but my personal preference is to keep a multi-blade at around 2000 to 2200 with a three blade head maybe a bit higher at 2300. Most gearing is easily accommodated with motors from 2400 right up to 3400 to give you head speeds at that level. You really need to look for an online or downloadable calculator (Mr, Mell's is a good one) and plug in a motor with your main gear and pinion options. Even I was surprised that a 3400 could be tamed to that level and with a governor capable ESC, you can set it and forget it. Who knew? Hope this helps.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 01:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don's advice is pretty much right on from what I can find out.

I have just finished a 450 scale heli with a 3 blade head. I am running a 2900 KV motor with 11T pinion, 121 T main gear on 3S. My head is a CopterX rigid one and I am using their very inexpensive molded blades. I am using the latest Align tail blades that are 68 mm long.

I easily get off the ground with even 2250 with the fuselage on it. But I feel like it likes 2300 better withthat extra weight. I have an additional load on it with a water tank and pump and it does get off the ground fine on 2300 but I think it feels better at 2350. But not many hops in yet to verify that.

But what that says is that these are the target ranges to be fooling around in. Not 3400!!!

As soon as it warms up a bit (hopefully next week) I can maybe get out to try some more experiments in settings and might find that I can cut it back again.

Bags of fun.

-Barry
bdfox1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

So throw out all those comments I made.

Now that I have my pitch curve in the ballpark (well closer at least) I find that I am down to 2250 and it flies just fine. So the next exercise is to move all the governor settings down again and try it even lower.

I have hunch that lower isn't going to be much lower as I can see just the slightest little tail wag at times so maybe the tail speed is getting to where it won't hold. But maybe a little gain change will fix that too. It really isn't much. Might end up being a slight gyro setting change as well. The only thing I find with the lowest RPM so far is that my efficiency is dropping off a touch and the current draw and temps are going up just a little. I ran the numbers through the calculator on the ESC software and dropping the KV on the motor by 200 (because I can find a motor at that speed) and then gearing the pinion up one tooth I can get the same head speed and a 5% bump in efficiency back into the low 90% range. That should help bring the temp back down.

Lots of fun experimenting.

-Barry
bdfox1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in