Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos

Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Compass Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2017, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What servo arms to use?

I am using Savox servos in my Chronos so I need Futaba spline arms. I have some Compass arms that I was going to use until I measured the hole which is at 17+mm so its a bit to far out for the 15mm the manual recommends. The stock Savox arms are about 15mm but I am hesitant to use them as they seem brittle to me, might be ok though?

I'm open to recommendations as to what arms to use. I like plastic but I guess aluminium would be ok if that's all I could find for this application!

Thanks for any input!
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2017, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBri3 View Post
I am using Savox servos in my Chronos so I need Futaba spline arms. I have some Compass arms that I was going to use until I measured the hole which is at 17+mm so its a bit to far out for the 15mm the manual recommends. The stock Savox arms are about 15mm but I am hesitant to use them as they seem brittle to me, might be ok though?

I'm open to recommendations as to what arms to use. I like plastic but I guess aluminium would be ok if that's all I could find for this application!

Thanks for any input!
From recollection there are two holes in the stock plastic Compass arms... Not sure if the inner hole is 15mm. If not I would just drill a hole into them so the distance is 15mm.

On my Chronos I am using the Secraft V1 aluminum arms with Futaba spline. The Secraft V2 arms might be too flimsy to use. If you get Secraft you might need to get the Secraft arm extractor though in case the arms are a very tight fit and you need to remove them for whatever reason.

Dubro also makes Futaba splined servo arms which are tough. They come in different sizes. Here is the link to the standard sized dubro arms on Amain: https://www.amainhobbies.com/dubro-s...-dub673/p18072

I suspect standard fits Chronos just fine... But you might also want to order these longer arms just in case: https://www.amainhobbies.com/dubro-s...-dub670/p18069
Old 01-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Cyclo. The Compass arms do have 2 hols, the inner hole is at 17.5 mm though. I have both those Dubro arm sets for other projects and the hold are like 13mm and 16mm. Guess I am being a bit nit picky! LOL

I may just drill the Compass arms or get some of those V1 secraft arms to try out!
Old 01-23-2017, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you go with the Secraft V1 arms get the 17mm version (shorter version). The inner hole is exactly 15mm:

Do not get the V2 arms as they are flimsier than the V1 arms. Also try to get the Secraft servo horn extractor too... I think this is being sold by either Amain or Anythingheli. The reason is on some servos, the Secraft are a very tight fit. I almost destroyed the spline of my Savox servo trying to remove the arm with a screwdriver lol.

Another pic:

Old 01-23-2017, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anyone ever told you that you take the BEST pictures? Damn, bro!!

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep! Awesome pictures.
mgrezmer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yap, awesome pictures!
Old 01-23-2017, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys! Just like flying helis, photography requires a lot of practice to be proficient. The funny thing is I got a lot of practice taking pictures of my helis, especially the action shots. Well it was not me actually taking the action shots as I was the one flying the helis... My son or wife took the pics but I had to learn how to tweak the settings before handing the camera to them.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes your pics are always incredible just as your info!

Anything heli has the removal tool and the horns. They have the V1 tail horn that shows 15mm exactly center and the larger shows 14 and 17mm to center. I'll have to take your word on the 15mm on the inner hole though!

What distance are you guys running the tail ball? The manual shows 15-17mm? My Stock Savox horn is 16mm so guess I will start there! LOL
Old 01-24-2017, 08:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have a look at the Mikado carbon infused horns. I've had great success with them for years.
allen james is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2017, 10:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Secraft 15mm V1 servo horn.
https://superstitionhobbies.com/coll...-m2-red-futaba
Old 01-24-2017, 06:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

SAB horns all the way! They have the 15mm hole and will break in a crash before you gears will strip and become damaged, yet they are very strong to handle everything you throw at them without being flimsy. Give them a go, you will like them.
Pyro 750-56XL, Kosmik 200, Nano-Tech 12s 3300mah, Vbar Neo Citizen764
jgern is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2017, 06:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Will the SAB control arms fit the KST 500 series servos?
Old 01-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrezmer View Post
Will the SAB control arms fit the KST 500 series servos?
I would imagine they would as long as you get the Futaba spline as KST's are the same!

I drilled my Compass horns at 15mm since I had them. BUUUUUUT I just tried to put one on and the massive Compass ball link hits the CF frame! UGH guess the Compass horns are to thick so I need to buy some horns after all! LOL

Strange that Compass would make the spacing so tight with so many servo and horn options available. Or at least provide the proper horns in the kit!
Old 01-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

custom carbon for use with mks x
Old 01-24-2017, 10:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just ordered the Secraft V1 horns with the arm extractor per Cyclo's recommendation! LOL The Sab horns looked like a great option as well! Thanks again Gents!
Old 01-24-2017, 10:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

With the sab horns you have to twist the links so that the ball link stays perpendicular to the frame otherwise it can jam on the frame. I can post a pic up later.

The other option is to dremel a little bit of the frame out of the way
dominator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2017, 08:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
RAM
Registered Users

I'm also using the Seacraft V1 arms on all my servos and they've been great for the past year and a half. For the tail, I'm at 17mm and everything lined up perfectly. I believe I used 15mm arms for the cyclics. Here's a pic (not the best quality) and hope it helps. Let us know if you need anything else.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4287.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	691097  

Rage RC Field Rep
RAM is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in