Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flybarless Helicopter Systems > AP and Scale

AP and Scale Discussions for Scale, Multi-blade and AP applications using CSM Cyclock, Helitronix Multi-mixer, Spartan AP2000i, Firmtronix, Digimix-3.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2007, 05:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 3 Blades and no flybar. Anyone tried it?.

Hey guys, I stumbled on this and drooled. It slips into the Trex and looks pretty hot. Anyone tried one?. I would like to use this and some 315 carbons for stability for general FF and hovering and a bit of sport flying.

Hey Finless, your the Trex Guru. what are your thoughts?. have you heard any reports on it or tried one?.
wiz310 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2007, 06:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I saw that one too. Looks cool. Also did see a vid on the same site they are selling this. no additional info there
But i dont have a clue about the pro's and con's of this head besides looking cool.
I wonder if it just "slips" onto the trex. Maybe some gear changes are needed as well.

Would like to see some kind of review on this head.
anybody?

Maurice
dutch_anykey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2007, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

maybe a set of 315 woodies and a little adjustment of your curves would suffice, instead of having to gear down. still looks hot.......... I'm on the point of getting one. just would like some sort of review. I'm heading off to look for that video you mentioned..... I didn't see that. :mrgreen:

Ok, I'm back. Video looks like its far to stable for 3D, and just right for my sort of flying. sounds slower than a normal headspeed. sounds hot I reckon.
looks like it shouldn't be a problem fitting it to a Trex.

CNC Aluminum Metal Tri-Blades Rotorhead For RC Helicopters

Designed to Fit
T-rex 450X,
T-rex 450S,
T-rex 450XL CDE,
T-rex 450XL HDE,
X-400,
MX-400,
CX-480,
Dragonus II RC Helicopter

a little tuning of your curves and maybe some adjusting on the CCPM mixing should do it. I'm on the verge of pushing the "add to cart" button. :mrgreen:
wiz310 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2007, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

cant wait to hear how it works out.
I have a 3 bladed head on a jr voyager e (quick of japan head).
i needed to lower the headspeed , dial back the radio settings for the head control and adjust phazing.

It is pitchy in flight and really would like tip weighted blades i feel. I would be surprised if it was a "sporty" flyer with 3 blades but i would love to be proven wrong.

When you get it up and flying let us all know how it goes.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Where did you find it>?
The Website
Thanks
ThePig0079 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2007, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

looks like it would be great for a 450 size scaler.

hmmm
*** Dropping the F bomb as much as possible
kama1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2007, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The tri head is at www.flyinghobby.com helis>trex>upgrades
AMA #913061
"No you can't fly it"
Steeltoes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

from what i understand, it will work, but you have to do a bit of tweaking. i believe you need to weight the blades to give it enough cyclic stability, and adding gyros to govern the swash can only help. since its flybarless with direct linkages, i think you are going to have to dial down the servo travel since you aren't using mixing arms

good luck with it though, id like to see how it turns out

if you happen to be on rcgroups, member superhornet seems to be the king of multi blade flybarless helis (specifically trex 450's) so you may want to drop him a PM. i've seen everything from 2 to 6 bladed bird out of him (maybe a 7?)
Old 07-04-2007, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Steeltoes. Are you sure about that link to flyinghobby?
JayDBaltimore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2007, 11:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

http://www.modelrectifier.com/search...ew.asp?ID=3440
RSL_Mongoose is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2007, 04:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I forgot the dash
www.flying-hobby.com
AMA #913061
"No you can't fly it"
Steeltoes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2007, 10:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

A couple of those would be cool on a TwinRex. Very scale looking - definitely better than the look of stock two bladed rotors.
jgunpilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Tri Blade rotor head came in the mail today.

I ordered it from RC-Expert.
I was shocked to see that it was mailed, not in a box, but in a soft pack mailer, wrapped in bubble wrap.
Glad to have found no damage after inspecting the rotor head.

No instructions were included in the package. The unit was completly assembled. The nut and bolts for holding the blades in the blabe grips were not included.

I removed all of the ball link screws and applied thread lock, just to be safe. However, I just realized that I didn't redo the set screw on the shaft lock ring.

After installing the rotor head and setting it up, I took it out and flew some mild circuits.
I definitely will need to add some EXPO as it is sensitive to stick input.

BlackTitanium is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

BT, Very cool heli man!
noguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2007, 05:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah, without a flybar the cyclic will be very responsive. Watch for it to get pitchy in fff without gyros on the cyclic. It can happen pretty quickly and can head for the ground. Keep a bit of altitude when you first try it in fff.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That head looks very good. I'd love to see it on a twinrexx. Sorry to say that I find the fuselage butt ugly.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default A note about the Tri Blade Rotor Head

I just wanted to point out that the stock ball linkage screws, on the swashplate, are too long. The linkage, when at an angle, will hit the protruding screw.

I replaced the stock ball linkage and screws with the stock Align ball linkage and screws.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Review: LightningHeli Tri Blades Rotorhead

As advertised, Lightning Heli’s Tri Blades Rotorhead, it comes completely pre-assembled and ready to be installed. I ordered mine from RC-Expert, in Honk Kong, and it came not in a box but in a soft pack wrapped in bubble wrap. There were no instructions included in the packaging.

The rotorhead, without any modification, is a drop in replacement for the stock T-Rex rotorhead assembly.

Except for the shaft locking ring’s set screw, all of the screws had thread lock applied.
The blade grips all seem to have had too much slop, one of the 3 much more than the other 2. I disassembled the blade grips and was able to achieve a tighter fit.

The plastic linkages are thinner and felt like a more brittle plastic than the stock Align linkages. The linkages also seemed to have a bit of slop on the linkage rods and turned too easily.

Setting up the Tri Blades Rotorhead was easier than setting up the stock T-REX Rotorhead.
Level the swash, 0 pitch at center stick, set up -/+ pitch, check and adjust tracking.

I took the heli out for a flight, and found that the cyclic was super sensitive and the heli was not as stable, requiring lots of corrections. A higher head speed in Idle up help with some stability.

The Rotorhead has a lot less linkage than the stock T-Rex Rotorhead, and will require you to make some adjustments. I moved the Elev, Ail, and Pit servo linkage to the first hole, closest to center, on the servo horn. I also replaced the 325 blades with 335 blades, and gained a lot more stability and control of the heli.

It was still a bit harder to control, than a stock set up with no weights on the paddles, and the heli seemed tail heavy, kept dipping the tail and I was constantly correcting for it. Physically the Heli was actually slightly nose heavy.

The Tri Blades Rotorhead is advertised as “3D flying capable”.
I executed an in place right roll, and the heli bogged a bit in negative pitch, and then I had to work to get stable flight again. I attempted another roll, the heli dropped its tail, I couldn’t pull out of it and it crashed.

IMO, it is 3d flying capable, but wouldn’t recommend it. I don’t believe that the linkages are strong enough to support 3d flying. The Rotorhead looks cool, but is difficult to fly on a stock set up. Flying will probably require some modifications, as others have mentioned, i.e. more gyros and weighted blades.

After looking at the youtube video again, I can see the heli exhibiting all the characteristics that I experienced, I can even hear it bog when inverted. Notice how quickly the pilot launches and lands the heli, without attempting to hover the heli.

This item is a recommended don't buy.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Default Re: Review: LightningHeli Tri Blades Rotorhead

Thanks a lot for the input. I'm looking for ways to give my 450 more lifting power and adding a blade seemed one of the things I could do. Seeing the linkages disappear between this unit and the stock unit, I was not too sure I wanted to follow this as a n00b. I am sorry that the crash happened, but it was in the name of exploration (that's what I told my wife when the pontoon rescue boat sank) and you can bet that at least one person has learned from your experience.
nazrac22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in