White Screen on Bump Controller. - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > FMA/Revolectrix Product Support

FMA/Revolectrix Product Support FMA/Revolectrix Factory Product Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default White Screen on Bump Controller.

Sometimes when I power on my Bump Controller (tied to my Dual Power lab 8 with a Meanwell 48v power supply, with a common ground) The bump charger screen is only white, and just sits like that.

Not sure what version of firmware it is running (same as what was on the first batch shipped).

What should I do to fix this?
vControl and Neo
povern is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2016, 06:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by povern View Post
Sometimes when I power on my Bump Controller (tied to my Dual Power lab 8 with a Meanwell 48v power supply, with a common ground) The bump charger screen is only white, and just sits like that.

Not sure what version of firmware it is running (same as what was on the first batch shipped).

What should I do to fix this?
What do you hear from the Bump unit ?
Do you hear the initial 3 beep tone ??
Do you hear a single long tone after that ?

Does the white screen eventually clear on its own, or do you have to power reset to clear ?

Aside from some sort of hardware problem, the only other thing I've seen that would trigger this is noise - there's another post about how noise can cause the Bump to enter a bootloader firmware upgrade routine because it believes you are holding the touchscreen down.
RevoKelly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2016, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I couldn't get the white screen to clear, it would just sit there. I tried to power it off and on, but it would just come back to the white screen, nothing else. If I remember correctly, it didn't beep, but did make a high pitched, looooooong (4 seconds), quite, beep.

After letting it sit for a couple hours, I finally got the Bump controller to go to the correct screen,

Now when I'm charging I usually get an error (Safety Error) #55 Lost data link or an unknown error #123
vControl and Neo
Old 03-07-2016, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by povern View Post
I couldn't get the white screen to clear, it would just sit there. I tried to power it off and on, but it would just come back to the white screen, nothing else. If I remember correctly, it didn't beep, but did make a high pitched, looooooong (4 seconds), quite, beep.

After letting it sit for a couple hours, I finally got the Bump controller to go to the correct screen,

Now when I'm charging I usually get an error (Safety Error) #55 Lost data link or an unknown error #123
Ok, the two problems are mostly like from the same root cause - excessive noise. There are many posts here and on RCG about these issues, so scan back for the details.

In short, we've seen some pretty nasty/noisy environments that we weren't expecting.

The long beep means it has enter the bootloader firmware upgrade routine because it *thought* the touchscreen was held for 10 seconds upon bootup (it wasn't, it was just the noise making it think that it was).

The #55 communication problem is caused by the noise taking out the signaling long enough for the Bump or PowerLab to give up and restart the port.

Customers have been able to fix the noise problems by either:

1. Applying ferrite chokes to the Bump power and JR cables - you can find them at Radio Shack or cheaper online.

2. Sending the unit in to Revo for service where they will modify the noise filtering circuit to better deal with the noise on the JR ports, at no charge.

Most guys have had good success with #1, but not everyone. If you'd like to have the Revo service done, PM me and I'll give you the details of how to request it.

Sorry for the hassle - this was a bit of surprise for us since we didn't see any of these noise issues during beta testing. Luckily, it looks like we have a pretty good handle on the problem now, so should be pretty easy for you to get past it.
RevoKelly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I sent in my Bump Controller and they updated it, with priority shipping to return it to me. Very impressive.

Unfortunately, the issue was still there, had to add the ferite rings, and all is well now.
vControl and Neo
Old 08-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK so this my be dumb but what is the ferite rings?
luv2fly2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

They are also called chokes. They are the round rings you see on a Castle servo lead coming from the ESC. You can get them at Radio Shack, and they don't have to be round.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2017, 07:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation White Screen - No beeps/tones at power up

FYI: I submitted Case #2598 to Revolectrix yesterday.

Anyone know of a workaround or boot-up procedure without sending the unit back in to Revo service?

Brand new BumpController, first time powered up, yesterday; with USB port only, downloaded and updated the firmware to 3.01.

Charging Setup:
* Sola DC Power Supply SDN20-24-100 (industrial power supply)
* PL8v2 with 3.33 firmware
* BC with 3.01 firmware
* mpa charging board
* DC commons of both PL8 and BC are tied together at the DC supply common

Setup the basic startup menu for the 20A DC supply at 24vdc and a PL8v2 with mpa board (FMA wiring). Programmed two bump tags, successfully charged one LiFe pack. Unit stopped on a second pack, this time a LiPo in analyze mode (had two successful storage charge cycles beforehand). The trouble code was error #55 lost datalink. Same error on the PL8 display as well. Stopped charging and removed power. Cycled power on after 10 seconds and the BumpController came up with a blank white screen and no power up tones.

After reviewing the forums, I added the RF chokes with one pass of each conductor feeding the BC and two passes of JR cable between the PL8 and BC. No help there.

Removed DC power. Plugged BC into PC with the supplied USB cable and nothing but white screen and no device response in Windows 7 device manager. (unit previously operated fine on the same PC, USB driver installed and firmware updated from 1.47 to 3.01).

While waiting for Revo support to respond to the case; I figured I'd ask here if anyone else has been given a secret workaround or reset sequence.

Update: This is a new unit with the 1000 ohm resistance Revo factory mod/design change for RF suppression. Measured 997 ohms from DC common black lead to each of the JR P1-4 commons.

Regards,
Greg

Last edited by KC8CYF; 01-17-2017 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: Update note for 1000 ohm resistance
KC8CYF is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sending back unit for repair/replacement

FYI: Revo USA handled the case very quickly and professionally as they always have in the past. (This is my second experience with the service department... first time was to repair a PL8 that I destroyed, not FMA /Revo problem).

Revo Kelly emailed me through the repair center:

"If you dont hear any beeps after 10-15 seconds, then it will definitely need to be returned for service or replacement.

If the white screen on boot was caused by noise or anything else, you would hear it beep after 10 secs - that would mean it is ready to receive a firmware load over USB.

If it doesn't beep at all, then that means the main processor isn't starting - not something you will be able to change."

Thanks Kelly for the prompt support.

Sending the BC back.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good news! FMA support is excellent! I sent in my BUMP early last year for the noise fix and the turnaround was excellent.
Ace Dude is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2017, 05:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Revo Support

Revo support has been excellent. Everything you would expect.

We are such a small niche hobby, I expect occasional issues that may not have been vetted during beta testing... so many variable and many different points of view/back grounds of users...

They should have received the Bump Controller today (1 day service, FedEx ground).

Hope they can replace it soon or better yet get to the root cause of the failure.

Need to get to building a charging case.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Revo shipped a new Bump Controller today.

Fast service!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC8CYF View Post
Revo support has been excellent. Everything you would expect.

We are such a small niche hobby, I expect occasional issues that may not have been vetted during beta testing... so many variable and many different points of view/back grounds of users...

They should have received the Bump Controller today (1 day service, FedEx ground).

Hope they can replace it soon or better yet get to the root cause of the failure.

Need to get to building a charging case.

The beta team does an outstanding job so it's quite rare that something slips through.
Ace Dude is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2017, 04:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Bump Charger Success!

Got my Bump Charger running today.

Using XH wiring mode with my PL8v2 (3.33 firmware) and Revolectrix MPA board.

Two successful analyze cycles into the new BC.

Installed two clip-on style ferrite toroids with one-turn each of power leads to the BC. Have a third solid ferrite toroid on the communication cable with two turns.

Updated Bump Controller firmware to latest 3.01 (as of 23Jan2017).

No more white screen of death!

Thanks RevoKelly and the Revo Maryland team for quick acknowledgement of the issue, no hassle with return and fast turn around.

Last edited by KC8CYF; 01-23-2017 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.