Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Esmart

Esmart E-Sky Esmart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default es600

I ordered a esmart metal.. I am pretty much a newb on this heli.. and after reading this forum it looks like the parts are hard to find for it. I am a little discouraged at the moment that I ordered this one. I thought it was a great heli as far as stability and everything I read about it. I see that most people seem to really love it.

I think I am going to continue to build this anyways..

I am getting the helicopter with no electronics.. I have had a couple other helis before but this will be my first real heli.

I am very interested in the in using some form of the ardupilot or a arduino board of some sorts.. that would be down the road. This is partly why I chose this heli.

I need an opinion on some parts I was looking at to complete the build.

Motor:
http://www.rc-fever.com/scorpion-out...kv-p-8436.html

I wanted to get a switching external BEC but I am not sure which one to select.

Same with the ESC

For the gyro I was leaning towards a logictech 2100t

Thanks in advance for any help here.

Casey
casedog21 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That motor has too much KV(it will draw too much amps) I recommend the stock motor http://www.helidirect.com/esky-1200k...art-p-4040.hdx
or the tonic-X motor
http://www.helidirect.com/tonicx-z30...fan-p-6013.hdx

Those 2 motors are great value for the price. For servos I like the inexpensive hitec 5625MG's for cyclic(digital) or the MG 645 (analog). Another good option for servos are the align digitals(610) and the best value tail rotor servo are the MKS brushless(BLS-950) or the align 750's. The best gyro/servo combo value I have ever used is the logictech 6100T gyro with the 6100G servo(call Bobby Smith of RRE models-he will give you a good price). ESC wise, you can't beat the performance of the CC ice 100.

The 3D pro CF or FG blades from helidirect are really good value for your purpose. The best value battery are the zippy and turnigy 5000mAH/22.2V6S 30C from hobby city.
I hope this helps you decide. Have fun.
damyxz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the response..

What about BEC? I was thinking about getting one seperate that was switching.. Also what amperage am I needing for something like that?
From gas planes to electric helicopters has been quite a conversion..

Casey
casedog21 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use this BEC and it works great. A lot of people trust them, despite being only $18

http://www.helidirect.com/maxpro-hig...bec-p-8149.hdx
Compass 7HV FBL
signal7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

On this size heli, I suggest not using a BEC. Use a regulator and a separate flight pack. There will be instances during flight (especially 3D) that the power system(motor+ESC) will draw too much current from the main battery that it will starve the BEC and other electronic components and cause a receiver brownout and loss of control. Also it is easier to set up or troubleshoot the heli on the bench without fear of the main blades scalping you. Also the regulator depends on which servos you will use. I use the align 6A BEC/reg with a 1000mAH 2S Li-Po pack or this:
http://www.helidirect.com/castle-cre...tor-p-5159.hdx
I just solder a small JST connector to the battery side and use a 2S Li-Po pack.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

With an appropriately rated BEC you won't have this problem, as far as I know. If you get one that can't handle the current, you will, but that MaxPro can handle a lot! It is important to get one that matches your setup.

Team Outrage uses that $18 BEC (https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...ghlight=maxpro), but on my Outrage 550 I have a Western Robotics Hercules HC that can handle a continuous current of 5amps. If an $18 BEC is good enough for Team Outrage, it's good enough for me, so the Hercules BEC is just overkill

I used to run a separate pack, but I did some research and made the switch. I really liked not having to keep track of separate batteries and make sure I had enough juice for each flight. It also saved some weight and bulk.

There are clearly pro's and con's to each and I think in the end it's 50/50 and a matter of preference to suit your needs. There is certainly nothing wrong with running a separate pack.
Compass 7HV FBL
signal7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Since he is just starting out, and not going to do 3D anytime soon, I think it will be safer for him set up wise to run a separate pack. Also for his intended purpose later on it is a better design for him to use a separate pack. Adding some sophisticated electronics for navigation calls for redundancy and isolation of the power source for on board electronics. With added on board electronics, it is easier and safer to test and set up the system on the bench by using a separate power source. There will be no accidental start ups. If he is just going to do 3D, yes, he can get away with just a BEC. The reason some of the team outrage helis use a BEC is that they are using 8S machines. Running 8S as a powers source for the motor gives better power and draw significally less amps from the battery. Drawing less peak amps during a maneuver ensures that the BEC for the electronics are well fed. But a same sized bird running with a 5S or a 6S system will draw more amps even during hovering and has more chance of starving the BEC.
I also fly an outrage 550 on 6S with a scorp 4020-1390 motor with a 12 T pinion...awesome power but it also has puffed several outrage XP 6S 5000mAH 25C packs. I recently tried a turnigy 30C pack from HC and I puffed it on the 8th flight. I am now using the new formula 45C packs from thunder power.

Last edited by damyxz; 02-05-2010 at 11:00 AM..
Old 02-05-2010, 05:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As far as a gyro the 2100T is a bit small. The 401( there are others depending on your budget) is really simple to use and about the same price, I went will the T Rex 600 ESC and BEC/ a 2100 7.4 Li Po. Stock Esky motor. I also upgraded the tail rotor to a T Rex 600 due to the slop in the stock system.
Mike
Old 02-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Actually the 2100t gyro works great with the E-smart, holds better than a 401 with the right servo plus you get more programming options. The 2100t is what I'm using right now with the new MKS BLS 980. So far I have not had a tail blowout on me even during high altitude tail slides. I have also tried the align DS 650 and it also work really good. I think I will order this motor to try out:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...runner_/_1600W
Old 02-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I guess its just a matter of opinion on the gyro. The 2100 worked great on my 450. Even with a good digital servo it never met my expectations on the E Smart. Maybe it was the heli.
Who knows.
Mike
Old 02-05-2010, 11:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Try using a pair of KBD 92mm tail blades...the stock blades are too narrow and flexible.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was using the T Rex tail assembly and blades. Really not a issue anymore since I sold off the E Smart when parts became a problem.
Mike
Old 02-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cool!...I still have my original E-smart which I have posted pics here before, it is still my practice heli. It has been to funflys almost 3 years now around Florida. Luckily I hoarded common crash parts for it and I am getting the most out of it. It's kinda cool to crash and not have to wait for the parts to arrive. I have started the build on an avant aurora but I stalled because of spare parts availability here in the US. I think I will sell the kit and purchase a logo 700 as it comes out.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I hear you about parts I stock everything I need for my 450,500 and 600 here. I do a lot of builds and repairs for the LHS and it seems like they never have parts I need so I just use mine and bill them. Although RediHeli is fast as far as shipping at times less than 3 days.
Mike
Old 02-07-2010, 10:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by casedog21 View Post
I ordered a esmart metal.. I am pretty much a newb on this heli.. and after reading this forum it looks like the parts are hard to find for it. I am a little discouraged at the moment that I ordered this one. I thought it was a great heli as far as stability and everything I read about it. I see that most people seem to really love it.

I am getting the helicopter with no electronics.. I have had a couple other helis before but this will be my first real heli.

I am very interested in the in using some form of the ardupilot or a arduino board of some sorts.. that would be down the road. This is partly why I chose this heli.

Motor:

Same with the ESC

Casey
Hi, go order the logitech 6100t with servo its around 179 at amainhobby
Old 02-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gyro

Hi guys I also use the 2100T with a Ino-Lab 261 servo and even with the smaller servo it works unbelievable!!! I've ordered the outrage servo to see if it even makes any diff.
E-Smart CF Pro, Full Metal E Smart, Outrage 550
G-Smart. Pegusas
Fatdaddy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Another servo I am testing is the new MKS brushless tail servo, IT has similar specs to the futaba one but 50% cheaper. I will report on this servo later.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by casedog21 View Post

Motor:

Same with the ESC

Casey

As for gyros get a logictech 6100t it comes with a servo of speed of .05 and it give you
bad ass performance as a futaba gy 611 gyro. Back then it cost 300 now its for 179.
This is a huge step up from logictech 2100t. Here's the link http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ro-Servo-Combo
Old 04-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi All

I have just bought a second hand ES600. Don't know anything about it, except I have always wanted one, and the price was right.
First question is regarding motors.
At the start of this thread, casedog asks about a Scorpion motor. Damyxz said this would be too high Kv, and recommended two others.
The Scorpion motor is 1210 Kv, but the Esky motor is 1200, and the Tonic is 1110. All very similar, am I missing something?

Cheers

Jeff
Borderlord is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think any of those motors would work fine.

Donnie D
Donnie D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in