Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2016, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I guess I have a SR now.

I didn't mean for it to happen,I just wanted the Huey fuse and I thought a SR was fixed pitch.

It heli was cheap and RTF,it just needs new main blade holders,main gear and now a tail motor holder and boom because I'm using the ones it came with for a 230s Huey conversion.

I just found a new Huey fuse on ebay too,lol. I've been looking for over a year without success but found two within ten days.

I guess I'm just going to make this one a pod and boom until I know how it handles.

Are you guys using CF blades or maybe the wood blades from a 300x?
CrashandBurn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2016, 01:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashandBurn View Post
I didn't mean for it to happen,I just wanted the Huey fuse and I thought a SR was fixed pitch.

It heli was cheap and RTF,it just needs new main blade holders,main gear and now a tail motor holder and boom because I'm using the ones it came with for a 230s Huey conversion.

I just found a new Huey fuse on ebay too,lol. I've been looking for over a year without success but found two within ten days.

I guess I'm just going to make this one a pod and boom until I know how it handles.

Are you guys using CF blades or maybe the wood blades from a 300x?
Before you put the fuselage on it be sure to get that thing right.
it can be a finicky little bird!
The Xtreme production blades are the most bullet proof! It may be cheaper to use the wooden ones though if your looking for a lighter blade. The CF blades can sometimes be a little pricey!
500 Pro DFC
nighttrain06 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain06 View Post
Before you put the fuselage on it be sure to get that thing right.
it can be a finicky little bird!
The Xtreme production blades are the most bullet proof! It may be cheaper to use the wooden ones though if your looking for a lighter blade. The CF blades can sometimes be a little pricey!
Good advise and thanks.
I guess that any heli that uses a coat hanger as part of its head will need to be set up right.
The previous owner had the swash set up with a ten degree tilt forward and a five degree tilt to the right.

He probably is still talking about what a POS the SR is and how it wont even hover.

I'm using the HP6dms TX just for the heck of it but also because I ran out of room on my DX8,lol.

Not sure why every other model of the SR is fixed pitch such as the 120 sr and 200srx but the original one isn't.

I never intended to fly this one until I saw that it is a CP heli.

I ordered everything I'll need to fix it and convert the 230s so parts availability isn't bad,I even found what might be the last set of rockets for sale for the new fuse.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

This was half the problem with the SR, improper setups, it's a handful setup correctly, did you say you were converting it to 230s?
500 Pro DFC
Old 04-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Naw,I have a 230s but I want to put a Huey fuse on it. I found a slightly crashed RTF Huey SR on ebay and won it for just over $65.
I was going to toss/give away the airframe and TX because I thought it was FP.
As soon as I saw it I knew it was a CP so its worth putting time and money into,especially since I found a brand new Huey fuse for the 230s.

Two Huey's sitting side by side will dress up my man cave,lol.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ah yes it would! I've got 2 SR's one sorta stock the other with a belt conversion, I get em off the shelf once in a while
500 Pro DFC
Old 04-29-2016, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The SR was my first non micro CP

Lots of people criticise them, but mine was fine, I didn't get past the hover and circuits stage before I changed to a Trex 250 FBL though

As mentioned the key to success is very fine attention to the setups
and this is what I really thank the SR for, it taught me how to correctly balance blades, the importance of servo & swash leveling, tuning throttle/pitch curves and setting up a CP head from scratch. Funny though, I don't need half of these skills now we have FBL controllers!

This is where I learnt my "craft"
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41692

My advice would be to have a go at it for fun, definitely pod and boom until you are happy with how it flys
The sad truth (sorry guys) is that the 230s is the helicopter that the SR should have been and you will never upgrade one to be as good as the 230s. So don't bother with any upgrades at all, just set it up well and have fun
toys2cars2toys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks toys2cars2toys.
I never expect a certain heli to fly like a top performance one. When a guy says that a Mcpx fly's like a 700 I figure that he means that the controls are the same and that's all,lol.

All I expect out of this bird is to hover without a fight and do a controllable forward flight while I imagine it attacking Charley.

BTW,Charley was in the right.

The only upgrade I'm thinking of,if it fly's nice,are an aluminum swash plate and blade grips but I think I can maybe just replace the protrusion for the mixers on the stock blade grips with a bolt and nut.

Messing around and improving pieces is half of the fun for me.

Before I found HeliFreaks I bought a cloned Walkera heli and I know what a true POS is,HeHeHe.

The one thing that I have learned by reading peoples opinions online is that any six year old can post claiming knowledge from a post by a five year old.

I've read many posts from guys that screwed up but wouldn't admit it and put all of the blame on the heli.

BTW,according to one guy,the 230s is a POS that doesn't work.

Last edited by CrashandBurn; 04-29-2016 at 05:17 PM..
Old 04-29-2016, 06:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh your gonna get sucked in with the SR! Lol I have over the years owned 5-6 of em, and crashed a few of em too! Since your a tinkerer I feel your pain! :-)

The swash on these are junk! That would be A-numeral 1 that I'd replace!
Probably the blade grips too, if you can find a set. But replacing the stock grips produces instead of the blade grips breaking when you look at em, leaves the transfer of energy to the main gear. Myself I finally learnt that replacing main gears is both easier, and cheaper!

The 230s seems to be a lot better than the SR, it's compiled of some of the same parts, but it is at least mine is, a mile better heli than the SR is or was.
500 Pro DFC
Old 04-29-2016, 06:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain06 View Post
Oh your gonna get sucked in with the SR! Lol I have over the years owned 5-6 of em, and crashed a few of em too! Since your a tinkerer I feel your pain! :-)

The swash on these are junk! That would be A-numeral 1 that I'd replace!
Probably the blade grips too, if you can find a set. But replacing the stock grips produces instead of the blade grips breaking when you look at em, leaves the transfer of energy to the main gear. Myself I finally learnt that replacing main gears is both easier, and cheaper!

The 230s seems to be a lot better than the SR, it's compiled of some of the same parts, but it is at least mine is, a mile better heli than the SR is or was.
I've searched the web and I searched the deep dark web for Sr upgrade parts(now the FBI and Home Land Security are tracking me)and I found a aluminum swash and main blade holders but that's about all. I guess I will buy them.

I know about transfer of damage from my brother upgrading one part of his car engine just to have the next part in line of thrust fail.

A shredded main gear is a good thing with all things considered.

I started flying with a heli that had a coat hanger as part of its head so the Sr takes me home.

I'll either get it to fly or it will kick my ass,it's not like my ass hasn't been kicked before so what's there to lose.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Haha, yeah gotta stay under the radar of Homeland 1984 for sure!
Yeah the head parts really not too important, blade grips, swash are the main good ones to go with. Those butter servo's would be a good replaceable item also, I have the $$$$ hitech 65mg's in both of mine (over kill, and some would probably slap me feeling I wasted good servo's on that temperamental little beast, but after millions of crashes with em I felt the poor little thing could use an upgrade. Plus I don't crash it as much anymore once I figured how to set it up and just be ready for it while flying lol.
One of the most maddening things with that heli is getting that brushed tail to behave, and it will too, just don't forget to tweak a bit with the dual control ESC adjustment if need be....and remember baby steps on the gains with the gyro! Tweak fly, tweak fly...it can be a chore, but you'll find once you get the tail settled the motor will actually run cooler, and last longer too.
500 Pro DFC
Old 04-30-2016, 04:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK,talk me out of this. The tail motor doesn't work but is always getting over 11v so I'm thinking the esc is messed up too.
I'm going to replace both with 230s parts.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think the esc's are interchangeable, a guy I'd talked to said the ESC was different some how or another. But I'm pretty sure your stuck with the brushed motor on it....
The ESC is kinda a hit and miss weak link on those by the way, myself I've not had any problems with one, but have known a couple that have.
500 Pro DFC
Old 04-30-2016, 07:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd be using a bl tail motor so that would work.
It's all about the gyro.

I just did it.
The parts will only cost $25 more than the sr parts.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am not sure what all the guy looked into with just changing out the Bl tail motor and esc, but he said something about it would be a costly endeavor to do it.
For one, the SR being FB and the 230s a FBL, I think he said the receiver would be required to be used, then the receiver being for the FBL you could no longer use the stock head, not sure of the logistics of it but is was pretty much sounding like it was just going to be a 230s by the time all was said and done.

I've never tried it, but if you do I'd like to know the results of it! :-)
500 Pro DFC
Old 04-30-2016, 07:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm using the same sr rx. Just adding a 230s esc and tail motor.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well let me know how that works
500 Pro DFC
Old 05-03-2016, 02:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Same thought crossed my mind!
Please keep us all posted on the outcome.
Happy flying,
Tony
tony#1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I am also very curious how this turns out. Please keep us posted.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well,I got the parts and started playing with them.
I knew it would be all about the gyro but I didn't realize how much.

The 230s esc wont arm unless its gyro signal wire is plugged in and maybe it's only designed for the 230s RX because just plugging it into a gyro that was plugged into the RX didn't arm it.
I guess it makes sense that it wont arm with out a gyro signal because the gyro is the tail motors throttle.

I can get it to arm if I first plug the gyros single wire gain plug from the gyro into the rudder port.
It was a total accident that I found this out.
Once it arms I then pull it out and plug the three wire gyro cable into the rudder port and then everything works.

Maybe I should replace the signal wire on the three wire cable with the separate signal gain wire?

Of course the signal wire from the esc is plugged into the gyro as if it was a servo.

The tail motor instantly starts and I had to set full left trim for it to stop as it should be with no main motor throttle input.

I'm not even close to giving a flight status because all of the electronics are on the bench until I get it figured out.

I'm perplexed and am thinking about putting the RX by the front of the fuse so I can easily plug things in back and forth or maybe there is a different solution like using a servo wire extension with a female port at the front by the battery and doing the gyro wire swap there.
I'm using a Futaba GY401 Gyro because why not.

On the bright side,it's a lot better being able to arm the esc now and not just look at it wondering why it wont arm.

I'm either going to switch to a DX6i or DX8 because the stock TX is too limited in gain settings and I think I'm going to need them.

Whats a used HP6DSM going for,LOL.

I'll just strip it for parts.

Someone that knows a heck of a lot more about electronics should be doing this and post the answers so I can just copy them,LOL.

All of this just reminds me of how easy nitro helis really are.

Last edited by CrashandBurn; 05-08-2016 at 01:26 AM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in