Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion > Electric Motors Winding and Repair

Electric Motors Winding and Repair Electric Motors Winding and Repair Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chrisd1972

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Is this motor still good to use?

So my son's motor on his pattern plane picked up a bit of metal somewhere - might have been a grub screw that came loose.

Anyway one of the stators got a bit of damage and it looks like the bit of metal also rubbed up against a few of the windings.

So, need an educated opinion regarding the motor - pic of damage attached.

Is it ok to continue using as is?

Should I get it rewound?

Should it go into the bin?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160808_212716.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	665567  
kylenlord likes this.
chrisd1972 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2016, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

AXi ?
1BOHO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2016, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

yes, axi
chrisd1972 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2016, 01:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Now that the debris has been removed if the can can freely rotate around the stator and the magnets haven't been damaged I wouldn't throw it away if it were me. If you believe the coils to be damaged they could possibly short on the stator and damage the controller, so I'd rewind it if that is indeed the case and run a few test before putting it back into service. I'm quite sure the damage to the stator may have some effect but how significant would be hard to tell without various testing. Just looking at it I doubt it would be terribly significant but If you don't have anything to test it but a DMM you can put the meter on the ohms setting and place a lead on the side of the stator and another on the motors wires and look for zero ohms reading. That would indicate a short between it and the stator. So you know you would have to rewind it at a minimum. I'd gently try to bend those hammers back out without damaging more and personally I wouldn't mind looking at it's BEMF if possible but I'd have a real hard time just chunking it. Ultimately it's your call. Maybe someone else may have a difference of opinion. If you need help with it LMK. What model, KV, and wind is it by the way?
1BOHO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2016, 02:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can't tell for sure from the photo, but it looks like there's some damage to the windings. You'd have to check for shorts to the stator at least. If it were me and I was trying to salvage that motor I'd remove the windings and try to bend the stator back. Or I'd cut the bent part off. Then I'd use some epoxy to re-coat the exposed metal where the windings wrap.

I don't think you'll be able to straighten anything without removing the windings or you'll just end up damaging them if they are not already. Just running it as is would probably be risky for shorts which can take out an ESC. Though if you check it and are confident the windings are okay it might be fine.

There's a way to check the wire turns aren't shorting to each other by using a 4 wire Ohms measurement. That just means you check resistance with a voltmeter and ammeter then divide volts over amps. That's the easiest way to measure low resistances accurately if you don't have a milli-ohmeter.
Krager is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in