Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Blade Multirotor Support > mQX

mQX Blade mQX Quad Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 01:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by poor_red_neck View Post
One question.... is there a way to configure the motors/props so the ORANGE props are in the front? Having the orange props in the rear will just confuse the heck out of me.
Of course. The only restriction is about the CW vs CCW motors and propellers "location". But the orange are one and one and the black also, so you have full freedom.
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 02:11 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco66 View Post
Of course. The only restriction is about the CW vs CCW motors and propellers "location". But the orange are one and one and the black also, so you have full freedom.

Ok cool. I've never owned a quad, however I do know that 2 spin CW and 2 CCW. I was assuming that the orange blades have a certain pitch and the black ones the other, so their positions were fixed. However if I think I'm right, then one rear prop is CW and the other is CCW, since the CW and CCW are mounted straight across from each other.

Now I just need to sell some old heli parts to fund this little project!
poor_red_neck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ok cool. I've never owned a quad, however I do know that 2 spin CW and 2 CCW. I was assuming that the orange blades have a certain pitch and the black ones the other, so their positions were fixed. However if I think I'm right, then one rear prop is CW and the other is CCW, since the CW and CCW are mounted straight across from each other.

Now I just need to sell some old heli parts to fund this little project!
That's how Krede showed here:
https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=16

And the main orientation / rotation logic is also printed on the main board around the screws which attach the board to the body (sorry Krede for hijacking your picture):

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120809_004134_3.jpg (34.0 KB, 907 views)
Old 08-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

The hybrid has advantages, but I will take the mQX for aggressive flying.

From my experience the tiny props on the hybrid just cannot keep up with the more well balanced mQX. I hope to find a lighter battery than those used on the mQX because the lighter weight is sure to help the hybrid. But as is, it seems to me the hybrid responds best to smoother flyers, those who don't want abrupt changes in direction. It just cannot generate the torque.

The easiest example of differences I have noted is in the performance of funnels. I could not get my hybrid to hold one at all.

I have yet to see anyone post a video of a hybrid doing any impressive flying. Can someone please impress us.
TomQ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So the diameter of the props are 56mm.... I wonder if something like the plantraco 65mm prop would work better, while not over loading the motors too much. They are MUCH more fragile, but may work better. I've got a few from my BL mcpx... I'll test it and see
Old 08-10-2012, 01:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomQ View Post
The hybrid has advantages, but I will take the mQX for aggressive flying.

From my experience the tiny props on the hybrid just cannot keep up with the more well balanced mQX. I hope to find a lighter battery than those used on the mQX because the lighter weight is sure to help the hybrid. But as is, it seems to me the hybrid responds best to smoother flyers, those who don't want abrupt changes in direction. It just cannot generate the torque.

The easiest example of differences I have noted is in the performance of funnels. I could not get my hybrid to hold one at all.

I have yet to see anyone post a video of a hybrid doing any impressive flying. Can someone please impress us.
This will not be me for sure!

But to be honest... I have also yet to see a video of mQX impressive flying... funnels? Never seen. Maximum I've seen is flips and rolls and "corner flips". Maybe I missed it, can anybody point me to the right thread?
Old 08-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

woohoo!!!!

Just ordered all the parts. Hope to have everything by Wednesday... Can't wait!

So is anyone flying the hybrid successfully with 550mah batteries? (I'm using hyperion 25C)

Also can anyone comment on X mode vs + mode... which is better?

Also one fundamental question I've always had with quads... Let's say you add full aileron or elevator movement, when throttle is low... is aileron/elevator power proportional to the throttle percentage? Or is full "cyclic" full power no matter what throttle position it's in. I'm wondering if for example you were to attempt a flip or foll, if you have to be at full throttle to get the power to do so, or can you "slam" the stick while at throttle hover? Does that make sense?
Old 08-11-2012, 01:50 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
So is anyone flying the hybrid successfully with 550mah batteries? (I'm using hyperion 25C)
It flies well with the Hyperion 550 batteries but you can do more aggressive flying with lighter ones. As ever, it's a trade-off between performance and flight time. In my post #4 in this thread I mention the batteries I've tried; I settled on the Nanotech 300's because I reckon they make it fly at least as well as the MQX.

Incidentally, now I look at the flight times in that post, I reckon they are a bit optimistic. I get around 5:00 to 5:30 now from the Nanotechs. Maybe I fly more aggressively these days or maybe it's just the batteries aging. I think you can probably expect 8 to 9 mins on the Hyperions.

Enjoy!
fac13 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 02:39 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok cool. I'm ok with some performance loss... this little bug is just going to be a lazy flier for around the house or yard. More of a "toy" than the BL mcpx or 130X. I may buy a few nano techs to see if I can push the limits but I've got 10 550 hyperions for the mcpx so that will work out great.

I'm hoping (or rather not, lol) that this little thing will get me more interested in quads. I'd like to build a larger quad one day, one that is a bit more aerobatic.

Does everyone fly theirs in X mode?
Old 08-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just got all the parts in today for my MQX. Quite possibly the easiest build I've ever done. I think it took 15 minutes including adding micro deans.

I ended up cutting off the walkera motor connectors, stripping them and tinning them thickly with solder. Nice solid fit into the mQX connectors.

Here's my test hover video. I couldn't wait and went outside under the street light and did some circuits. A little different than what I'm used to (helis) but still handled it with no problem.

Man this thing is fun!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvEgNtZGUgY[/ame]
Old 08-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Just got all the parts in today for my MQX. Quite possibly the easiest build I've ever done. I think it took 15 minutes including adding micro deans.

I ended up cutting off the walkera motor connectors, stripping them and tinning them thickly with solder. Nice solid fit into the mQX connectors.

Here's my test hover video. I couldn't wait and went outside under the street light and did some circuits. A little different than what I'm used to (helis) but still handled it with no problem.

Man this thing is fun!!!!
+1!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
This will not be me for sure!

But to be honest... I have also yet to see a video of mQX impressive flying... funnels? Never seen. Maximum I've seen is flips and rolls and "corner flips". Maybe I missed it, can anybody point me to the right thread?
What I believe are funnels begin at around 0:20 and 1:45. Something that I have not seen before at 1:14, anyone know what it is? Neither of these can I perform with my hybrid.

[ame]http://vimeo.com/46329367[/ame]

YMMV
Old 08-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

NICE FLYING!

USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomQ View Post
What I believe are funnels begin at around 0:20 and 1:45. Something that I have not seen before at 1:14, anyone know what it is? Neither of these can I perform with my hybrid.

http://vimeo.com/46329367

YMMV
Tom, what's wrong with you?
That video you posted not long ago here
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...18#post4136418
saying it's you...
Old 08-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Also one fundamental question I've always had with quads... Let's say you add full aileron or elevator movement, when throttle is low... is aileron/elevator power proportional to the throttle percentage? Or is full "cyclic" full power no matter what throttle position it's in. I'm wondering if for example you were to attempt a flip or foll, if you have to be at full throttle to get the power to do so, or can you "slam" the stick while at throttle hover? Does that make sense?
I think that depends on how the control board is programmed.
For example, with the mQx board, without at least a little throttle, the aileron and elevator sticks have no effect at all (the props do not spin regardless of the stick position).
With some other controllers, the props are even spinning a little at 0 throttle.

Many of the larger quads are controlled by software that you upload into it, so you can rewrite the software for cyclic to do which ever you want.

On some simulators at least, I find that less throttle during the inverted part of a flip is better than enough throttle to normally hover upright: the quad loses less altitude from less throttle driving it to the ground.
On my mQx, I find that both hovering upright throttle and a little throttle during the inverted part of a flip work (kind of hard to tell which is really better), so I use just a little throttle: when I mess-up, having it hit something at lower throttle will cause less damage (hitting at 0 throttle causes the least damage).
I found that the mQx was hard to controlon the recovery the one time I tried to flip starting with a full throttle (somebody else has mentioned this also).

Here is a thread showing somebody good (as opposed to my beginner self) on a "large" quad doing flips/loops/rolls, etc.
This person tends to lower throttle during the inverted part and then raise the throttle during the recovery part:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1428309
"stick video" by Warthox on the rcgroups forum

Last edited by flying-llama; 08-20-2012 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: full throttle => throttle for upright hover. Added: full throtlte flipping an mQx is strange
flying-llama is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Tom, what's wrong with you?
That video you posted not long ago here
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...18#post4136418
saying it's you...
I didn't represent it as anything else. What am I missing?

You said:

Quote:
So I linked the video I posted a month ago of me flying some of my first funnels with my mQX. Didn't I show you a video of an mQX performing funnels as you requested? Were those not funnels? As I stated earlier, I have tried funnels with the hybrid and cannot, they wash out, but I can fly them with the mQX and I proved it.

I continue to stand by what I said, the hybrid, with the weight of the mQX battery and those tiny props, is not nearly as well performing as the mQX for aggressive flying. I will use my hybrid for indoor orientation training this winter when I hope to learn to fly in all four directions as well as I now fly forward, but for aggressive flying the mQX is far superior to the hybrid.

You also said:

Quote:
Really stable, you can even FF and then "brake and stop on the spot" pretty easily. No way with the mQX.
Coco, I challenge you to post a video of a maneuver that is possible with the hybrid that is not possible with the mQX. I am quite confident you cannot.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had an itch to try a quad after seeing a few folks fly them at the local hill. I'm more than happy with my heli's and planes so I wasn't interested in a big investment and the Ladybird caught my eye. Like many I wasn't crazy about switching radio systems from my Spektrum's but the mQX was just a tad too pricey. I stumbled on this thread and I couldn't wait to get my hands on one of these. Probably could have spent a little less but just picked all my parts up at Wow.

A nice quick build. I ended up using some of the little two pin connectors I'd saved from some of my mSR and mCPX repairs. I just un-soldered wires from the old connectors and cleaned off the solder. Plugged the solder end of the connectors into the motor connectors and the other end plugged perfectly into the board. Looks and works great. A nice reliable "factory" type connection, easy motor replacement.

She took right off and both me and my son had no problems translating our helicopter skills onto the new quad. Just had one battery to fly outside but what a blast. Much quicker, agile and precise than either of us thought it would be.

Thanks to all for passing along this build idea!!

T-REX 500 EFL w/SK720, T-REX 250 Pro DFC w/3GX, B400 - FBL with Tarot head, SK720, HiTec digital mg cyclics, boom mount JR DS3500G and T-REX 500 skids, mCPX, UM Planks
Tinker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 11:31 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have pretty much the exact same story as you Tinker, and I couldn't be happier with the results.

Well, maybe a little. I hope it's just because of the heavy battery I'm using (550mah hyperion). Full throttle is very unstable. It quickly gets squirly if I go past 85% throttle. This is especially troublesome on a hard banked turn or something, and it takes full throttle to stop the movement/start a new direction. Problem is it will start becoming unstable. All the motors are making the same power, drawing the same amperage (within 20-50ma) and it's not one particular motor that's "losing power" it just seems that the gyro doesn't have much headroom to speed up/slow down motors to maintain attitude.

Going to try some light weight 300s and see how that does.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

TomQ,
ver nice flying, I'm light years away of that with mQX and Hybrid of course.
But I'm sure that with the skills you have you will find some good manoeuvres for the Hybrid too.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice flying indeed! I'm really on the fence about this one. I keep wanting to buy this stuff and create the hybrid, but I'm also thinking of just picking up a stock one. This wouldn't be my first heli but would be my first quad. Is the hybrid really all that or is it just getting hyped up due to it being something different from stock? Is it still just as stable? Also has anyone yet come up with a decent canopy that fully covers the board but still clears the much shorter ladybird booms?
jlcamp7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in