Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Electronics

Electronics Electronics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 05:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default E-Stab or not

I am going to put the 3 blade head on my 450 size AS 350. Is this going to effect my E-Stab.? I am running 3GX. I also have a AR7200BX that I can use if the 3gx has a problem with multi blade. Also is there anything else I need to do such as blade phasing. How do you properly balance 3 blades?

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

As long as your head can be adjust for phasing, you can use what you have right now. The AR7200BX does not offer electronic phasing and I am not so sure about the 3GX that it is any better in that regard. If your head has a swash driver or is a Plug 'N Play head, you should be able to hook it up and fly with little or no adjustment needed in the 3GX. Just remember that as long as one of the blades when held over the boom, does not move with any elevator stick movement, your phasing is good. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I forgot, balance your blades like they were a pair only add one more into the mix. They should all weigh the same, have the same CG, and you should put three different colours on to do the tracking, or do what I do. Choose one blade as your master. Mark it with red tape Then put another colour tape on the next blade and track and adjust as needed. Next, remove the tape from that blade and put the tape on the last blade adjusting as needed. Now, remove tape from all blades and you should be good to go. Take care.

Don
Old 02-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobieg View Post
I am going to put the 3 blade head on my 450 size AS 350. Is this going to effect my E-Stab.? I am running 3GX. I also have a AR7200BX that I can use if the 3gx has a problem with multi blade. Also is there anything else I need to do such as blade phasing. How do you properly balance 3 blades?

Thanks
First thing..
Is it a rigid or flapper head?
Each type really requires different type blade.
3GX can run a multi blade head just need to do setup with the head installed.

Get the mechanical phasing set
Multi blade head phasing (1 min 28 sec)

As to balancing the blades..
1) Get the CG even on all 3 blades
2) Find which is the heaviest blade and balance the others to match.

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
First thing..
Is it a rigid or flapper head?
Each type really requires different type blade.
3GX can run a multi blade head just need to do setup with the head installed.

Get the mechanical phasing set
Multi blade head phasing - YouTube
As to balancing the blades..
1) Get the CG even on all 3 blades
2) Find which is the heaviest blade and balance the others to match.
Thanks guy's. I should have mentioned, it is a copter x ridgid head and the blades are the ones they suggest. I planned on trying it on another pod and boom that is going to be my "guinia pig" for testing things.

nightflyr, nice little fleet you have going. I have the heliartist airwolf and 500D that I will be building soon as the " MAN CAVE " is done.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hope you ordered these...

CopterX (CX450BA-20-03) Composite main blades for RIGID Three Blades Main Rotor Set (3pcs)

A large scale AirWolf is fun

Old 02-21-2014, 05:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
Hope you ordered these...

CopterX (CX450BA-20-03) Composite main blades for RIGID Three Blades Main Rotor Set (3pcs)

A large scale AirWolf is fun

Yes, those are the blades I ordered. How does the big airwolf fly? It looks awesome!
Old 02-21-2014, 07:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Once you get the pod & boom flying good, the rest just falls into place..

AirWolf 600 Maiden (3 min 0 sec)

Old 02-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The problem I am having, and the reason I am wanting to put the 3 blade rotor head on is if I have to give hard collective too " punch out " , this thing is a real dog.
I have the Scorpion 2580 kv w/12t pinoin, 121 main, 3s 70c batt. I was wondering if I went with a 4s, 11t pinion, 150 main will the bigger batt. help in that regard, or will just putting the 3 blade on with original set up help?
Old 02-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I am running that same motor, a 13t pinion, 150t main, and 3s 30-45c batteries in an Agusta 109A and it flies very nicely. I am using a four blade head with thin scale blades that I got from Smart Model HK four years ago and I am sure that RCA sells them now but if not, go with Spin Blades for your bird. You should understand that a 450 scale helicopter is almost more like a scale bird than some of the larger helicopters because they are closer to being underpowered. Running on 4s with the combination you give should get you more punch at the expense of more weight however, it might work well. Remember that your experiences with a standard pod and boom will give you a false indication of how the same chassis will perform in a scale body. You can also simply up the pinion one tooth for a few more rpm first and see if that gets you the extra performance you are looking for. Hope this helps.

Don
Old 02-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
I am running that same motor, a 13t pinion, 150t main, and 3s 30-45c batteries in an Agusta 109A and it flies very nicely. I am using a four blade head with thin scale blades that I got from Smart Model HK four years ago and I am sure that RCA sells them now but if not, go with Spin Blades for your bird. You should understand that a 450 scale helicopter is almost more like a scale bird than some of the larger helicopters because they are closer to being underpowered. Running on 4s with the combination you give should get you more punch at the expense of more weight however, it might work well. Remember that your experiences with a standard pod and boom will give you a false indication of how the same chassis will perform in a scale body. You can also simply up the pinion one tooth for a few more rpm first and see if that gets you the extra performance you are looking for. Hope this helps.

Don
Thanks Don, will the 3 blade set up help with this?
Old 02-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

It can help but are you sure that you are having a problem? Could it be that you are expecting it to rise off the ground as it did when it was in pod and boom form? I would not want you to spend a ton of cash expecting a different outcome and find it performs about the same, that's all. Take care.

Don
Old 02-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm pretty sure the 7200BX has electronic phasing available in one of the advanced menu options but I think you have to be connected to your computer with the BeastX software installed. I used it to set up my five bladed MD500 head. You should be able to mechanically phase to 90 degrees pretty easy on a three bladed head though.

Five blade head phasing (2 min 35 sec)
- Video Tube for YouTube - iPhone/iPad
Old 02-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Most scale guys don't try to punch out with scale helicopters. But if your helicopter feels too sluggish then increase your head speed or decrease you pinion size so that your motor is running at close to full throttle. I usually start running into issues when I decrease my throttle curve to achieve a certain head speed. Running a decreased throttle curve can make your motor more likely to bog when trying to punch out not to mention make your ESC run hot. I know from experience.

Replacing your two blade head with a three bladed head is not likely to improve your punch out performance.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

The AR7200BX, to the best of my knowledge, cannot be hooked up to the stand-alone BeastX software, making electronic phasing not possible at this point in time. Mechanical will do the job and will leave enough room for the links and swash driver. It is not a perfect system but it is done regularly so it is not out of the question. If they have added support for the AR7200BX in their BeastX software, it is good news for lots of guys wanting to use that system in a basic scale helicopter without spending a fortune on the gyro. Take care.

Don
Old 02-23-2014, 10:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the Copter-X 3 blade head on a 450. I took the extensions that they have on the blade grips off and just put a normal ball right into the blade grip arm. I did that because I decided to go for 60 degree phasing (my Robird ($75) offers that option) and that keeps those links a lot straighter so they don't approach binding at full travel. I found that the it all tightened up when you got to the ends of travel.

At the moment my config is running at 2250 RPM. I don't know if it will "pop" off the ground (I'm not that brave) but I have no trouble getting it to lift clear of the ground quite easily and a bit before mid stick with about 5.5 degrees set for that point.

I have the flexi blades that they offer and they seem to work amazingly well. If I find I run out of lift then there are lots of alternatives up to using flat bottom SpinBlades.

The head is dirt cheap but seems to be fairly well made. The blades are also dirt cheap so nothing is lost if you decide to change to something else. So far it seems to be OK at about 1.5 Kg all up weight.

-Barry
bdfox1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 05:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys, it is just sometimes when it is descending a little too fast, I would like the comfort of knowing that it is not going to hit the ground. Not trying to take off fast, just once it is airborne. Maybe that I just need to fly it more and get used to slow and heavy.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

With my heavier scale helicopters I try not to descend straight down from a hover because the rotor blades are descending through turbulent air. I typically descend while in forward flight so that it doesn't feel like the helicopter is falling out of the sky.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

With the optional PC interface you can adjust head phasing electronically just like you can with the original BeastX unit.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPMA3030
Old 11-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Big E
Thanks for the info and link for the 7200bx.
I installed one in my 500 cause with five blades it was hard to get right without a stab system. My four blade scalers are without a stab system and are smooth and stable.

BTW folks, I have to say that besides knowing his stuff, Big E is the best heli pilot I've seen fly in a LONG time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in