Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default adjustment help

I have flown mostly tail in just chilling out flying, nothing impressive. I have noticed from day one (even after 3 head rebuilds due to crashes) that my SR still wants to drift forward and to the right. I have to contanstly counter this. I think it may be the linkages need turning but wanted to see what yall thought. Stock transmitter, and the trim will only slightly help reduce this, but not eliminate this...any suggestions?
mh29803 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am in the same boat as you. I have my head adjusted out like all have mentioned and have just changed from stock radio to Dx6i and my heli does drift some as well and I think that is the nature of a Fly bar CP heli.. It will not just sit and hover hands free still like a coaxial will. Now if you are talking major drift then I think someone else here will chime need to chime in .
Old 02-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

How is the center of gravity on the heli? If you lift it with a finger under each side of the flybar does it tilt back or forward? Is the swash level? I am no expert by any means but what I did was center the trims and get into a hover, note what way the heli drifts and then adjust the swash links accordingly. I don't know if this is the correct way to do things but it worked for me. Someone plz correct me if I am wromg
kennyspec is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Center all trim tabs and make sure your swash plate is level when you are giving no input. After you level it, make sure you have 0 pitch at mid stick in IU. Unplug all motors when checking that. Raise or lower all 3 swash links accordingly. You can also use the pitch links for that, they are the ones attached to the fly bar cage.
Prôtos 700
Xtreme-Production
SYMAWD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh29803 View Post
I have flown mostly tail in just chilling out flying, nothing impressive. I have noticed from day one (even after 3 head rebuilds due to crashes) that my SR still wants to drift forward and to the right. I have to contanstly counter this. I think it may be the linkages need turning but wanted to see what yall thought. Stock transmitter, and the trim will only slightly help reduce this, but not eliminate this...any suggestions?
Are you looking for hyper flight or 3d type of flight or are you still in the learning phase with your heli? Mostly hoovering and slow circuits? Maybe ready to go to a next level but not full 3d performance?

According to this review I have included"The stock SR is set up in the tame or normal pitch curve (mode switch position 0) on my Blade SR out of the box had a low stick value of +4.5 degrees (that made sense but was on the high side). A mid stick hover was achieved with +7.5 degrees of pitch (again on the high side), and a high stick value of +14 degrees of pitch -. I was happy with this set up for learning to fly slowly and just hoovering around." I have now changed that stock set up to what others here have recommended on my Dx6i and it flys way more aggressive than I really want but I guess its time I make the move.

I found reading this article was very helpful in shedding some lite on things. Looking at the big picture for what the SR is about.. http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/blade-sr.html .

My point here is. I am not quite ready for the real aggressive set up with so much negative pitch that I screw or pancake my Sr into the ground with the typical down stick movement when hoovering around or dodging wind gust. I myself am searching for a middle of the road type setting rather than going from one extreme to the other. Sorry for the ramble but I am thinking I may not be alone in this search. Like some of the guys have said. Not everyone flying an SR is looking for the same thing. I am seeing lots of one extreme or the other set ups but not much on a middle of the road next step up from a beginner. Does this make sense to any other pilots out there that may be in my shoes ?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDubya View Post
Are you looking for hyper flight or 3d type of flight or are you still in the learning phase with your heli? Mostly hoovering and slow circuits? Maybe ready to go to a next level but not full 3d performance?

According to this review I have included"The stock SR is set up in the tame or normal pitch curve (mode switch position 0) on my Blade SR out of the box had a low stick value of +4.5 degrees (that made sense but was on the high side). A mid stick hover was achieved with +7.5 degrees of pitch (again on the high side), and a high stick value of +14 degrees of pitch -. I was happy with this set up for learning to fly slowly and just hoovering around." I have now changed that stock set up to what others here have recommended on my Dx6i and it flys way more aggressive than I really want but I guess its time I make the move.

I found reading this article was very helpful in shedding some lite on things. Looking at the big picture for what the SR is about.. http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/blade-sr.html .

My point here is. I am not quite ready for the real aggressive set up with so much negative pitch that I screw or pancake my Sr into the ground with the typical down stick movement when hoovering around or dodging wind gust. I myself am searching for a middle of the road type setting rather than going from one extreme to the other. Sorry for the ramble but I am thinking I may not be alone in this search. Like some of the guys have said. Not everyone flying an SR is looking for the same thing. I am seeing lots of one extreme or the other set ups but not much on a middle of the road next step up from a beginner. Does this make sense to any other pilots out there that may be in my shoes ?
You can only get so aggressive with the radio setup in the SR before the bird itself becomes the limitation. Realistically, I have the same Pitch/throttle curves on my SR as I have on my 500... which do you think flys more aggressively? The thing to keep in mind is with a pitch curve you can either make it shallow and not have the ability to "climb" out of a tough spot, or sharpen it up and have it launch way too early. The best pitch curve is linear (at least from midstick up). Throttle curve, you can make that a little more relaxed, but bear in mind if you start pushing pitch onto it, the motor will bog, you'll lose headspeed and it will be even harder to fly. I would suggest getting used to the sound and "feel" of a high or I/U headspeed, keep your pitch curve linear or a tad shallow above midstick and maybe have access to -3 or so degrees below midstick. Sounds like you want to have the ability to get your hover on, maybe some basic circuits, but not have the thing jump out of your control. I dunno if you have moved flybar weights or messed with dual rates but you can achieve a lot by using these avenues as well rather than compromise a good setup with "proper" pitch/throttle curves.

All in all, you're right, not everyone who flies an SR is going to be looking for the same thing. Which is why there are so many things you can tweak to tailor it to your flying style/ability. I've said it a million times before, don't copy someone's heli settings into your radio and hope for the best. Do yourself a favour, watch the Finless vids, get your heli setup the right way and then dial in D/R settings or use the flybar weights to your advantage until you get the response you desire. There's no way anyone on here will be able to gauge the "feel" you're looking for. We can throw out numbers all day long but the final result is in your hands. Best way to tailor your heli is to play with it . Plow through all the info you can and learn learn learn! You'll be happy you did
Old 02-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Thanks !!

Well Gents,
Thank you for the detailed replys and information! I corrected the CG, leveled the swash and flybar paddles. It is now a tame and responsive heli! It only drifts now in the last direction I gave input to, which is how it should be. I did my very first fast forward flight and I am amazed, this sucka will FLY! I cant wait to invert...baby staps tho!
mh29803 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice!! Congrats

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in